By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Netflix Is making a live-action Zelda TV Series

Are you excited?

Yes! Zelda hype! 127 62.87%

Meh... 47 23.27%

Worst show ever 0/10 28 13.86%

Total:202

I don't like the idea specifically, but I absolutely love what this means for Nintendo as a company. (if it's true)

Around the Network

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG NOT EXPECTED THAT :O :D :O.

I'd like to watch it on freeview tv too. HOPEFULLY it is amazing. Keeps the "Zelda Magic" and has great actors.
However, I still want a film for each of the 3D Zelda Games.

DrasticDracon said:
It better be good, or else.

Most of Netflix's original series are garbage, so this will have to be a trend breaker.

Eh? House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc. are fairly highly acclaimed. 

I think a live action movie would be a better idea (was Sony unwilling?), but this could work out OK.

It's recognisable, simple and writes itself. So it makes sense for Netflix.

The timing makes no sense for Nintendo though. Nintendo's been clear so far that ventures into phones and other media are to service and sell their console business. If they haven't got a writer yet, it'd be unlikely to air before the 2015 Zelda game comes out.

Around the Network

I'd watch it for sure! I can't be worst than the old cartoons from the 90s.

Signature goes here!

Soleron said:
It's recognisable, simple and writes itself. So it makes sense for Netflix.

The timing makes no sense for Nintendo though. Nintendo's been clear so far that ventures into phones and other media are to service and sell their console business. If they haven't got a writer yet, it'd be unlikely to air before the 2015 Zelda game comes out.

This is more of a long term thing for Nintendo. Per Iwata from last year:

In the January Corporate Management Policy Briefing, I talked about our policy of actively utilizing character IP. Since then, even more people than before with license and other associated business proposals using Nintendo character IP have contacted us.
We are not at a stage where we can share the specifics with you today, but we are seeing possibilities in licensing character IP in areas Nintendo has never worked before. I expect to be able to discuss some of the details before the end of this calendar year.

From leaked Sony memos they have a deal with Sony for a Super Mario CG movie as well.

Soundwave said:
DrasticDracon said:
It better be good, or else.

Most of Netflix's original series are garbage, so this will have to be a trend breaker.

Eh? House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc. are fairly highly acclaimed. 

Those are the two best, especially HoC. Most of their original programming is average, and skippable.

Nintendo could smash it if they could make a live action Metroid movie made by Disney's Marvel team. The possibilities are literally making my head spin...

I'd rather have a Zelda anime, it fits the Zelda universe way better than live-action tbh.