By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dark Souls 2 on PlayStation 4 Comparison

Great lighting on the PS4. Little difference otherwise between the PC and PS4. Great job by From Software. Cannot wait to play this and BloodBourne! :D

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
They should have remade Dark Souls 1 instead.

Agreed, yet hearing a few tones of the music in that video already makes me want to play it again. That you tube video comparison is pretty worthless for visuals. The lighting looks better, for the rest, I trust that 1080p60 will look wonderful on my projector. The ps3 version was a bit of a mess.

Captain_Tom said:
sc94597 said:
NavyNut said:
PS4 is superior to PC

No it's not. It's equivalent to a low-mid end PC that costs about $450. The version they are showing is an updated version which will release on PC as well, and will be playeable at 4k or downsampling through mods. So...

The PS4 is still equivalent to a high end PC, unless you consider the 7870, GTX 580, and 660 Ti a low end card lol.

YOu'd be surprised with all the GPU's that have released since then and how the reccomended have sloped down to Minimum;

GTA V PC specs:

Minimum

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB

Recommended

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB

Battlefield Hardline:

Minimum

PROCESSOR: Athlon II/Phenom II 2.8 GHz, Intel Core i3/i5 2.4GHz
MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1 GB), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
HARD DRIVE: 60 GB
DIRECTX 11

Recommended

CPU: INTEL QUAD-CORE CPU, AMD SIX-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
GRAPHICS CARD: AMD Radeon R9 290, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
GRAPHICS MEMORY: 3 GB
HARD DRIVE: 60 GB
DIRECTX 11

Witcher 3:

Minimum

• Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
  • AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
  • AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • RAM 6GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended

• Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
  • AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
  • AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
  • RAM 8GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

Metal gear Ground Zeroes:

Minimum

Processor: Core i5 SandyBridge 4Core (4 Thread) 2.7GHz or above
Memory: 4 GB RAM or above
Graphics: GeForce GTX 650 or above
DirectX: Version 11 or above

Recommended

Processor: Core i5 SandyBridge 4Core (4 Thread) 2.7GHz or above
Memory: 8 GB RAM or above
Graphics: GeForce GTX 760 or above
DirectX: Version 11 or above

basically the likes of the 660 and even ti cards meet the lower specs with GTA V being the apparent recommended card, most recommended cards are around the 760 model and above, as far as I know the 800 series are used for laptops which leaves us with the 700 series and new 900 series (Titans are usually meant for science and math than gaming and Nvidia would have believe) which is about fair and why some are already going for the 900 series to prepare for the jump in specs, we're already seeing ram requirements jumping up and some GPU ones too, then we've got PC exclusives like Star Citizen that will push the note for quite a few gamers out there with what they're doing for their game.

The other issue I see with random jumps in requirements can also mean bad porting, some games can ask a lot but really they don't require that much and some can't even run properly on the likes of higher end cards or SLI at times for some ports, but that's usually the fault of the dev team, hardly the gamer since it's the devs job to make the game run as smooth as possible.

Also for a now low end card like the 660 released back in March 22nd 2012, it's now 2015 and we're getting close to march which will mean the card is close to being 3 years old and seeing as how the specs have jumped it seems about right, especially since there's a lack of  4gb 660's/ti's that I can see with most now requiring from 3-4gb GPU memory, the PS4's GPU is a customised AMD 7870 and that series was released back in 2012 also, which can explain why the PS4 can't 100% meet all requirements for every single game on the front for 1080p 60fps since some scrifices have already been made and documented, usually when it comes to PC there is never meant to be any sort of sacrifice, usually if user haredware cannot run what the game requires then they need to upgrade in order to play at 180p and 60fps/beyond which isn't really that much of a problem for PC, it is however problem for PS4 and XB1/Wii U since all 3 are behind the tech curve by a few years since all 3 didn't want to take a hit with ahrdware and Sony especially did not, if Sony were to pull out bigger guns they would have gone straight for at least a GTX 780/ti type spec which was released during 2013, it would have meant launching either very late 2013 or mid 2014 but it would mean they'd meet recommended right off the bat.

I wouldn't consider the PS4 very high end though, at least mid end at best with what they're sporting and the sacrifices being made so early into the gen.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Still haven't played the souls series. Better start soon.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Looks good. Maybe I'll get it when it gets a discount. Too busy with other games at the moment.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Around the Network

Don't see any reason to drop money on this again for mildly better textures and lighting after having already played the game to death.

sc94597 said:
Why are they emphasizing PS4? The rework is releasing on XBO and PC also.

marketing deal maybe?

Captain_Tom said:
sc94597 said:
NavyNut said:
PS4 is superior to PC

No it's not. It's equivalent to a low-mid end PC that costs about $450. The version they are showing is an updated version which will release on PC as well, and will be playeable at 4k or downsampling through mods. So...

The PS4 is still equivalent to a high end PC, unless you consider the 7870, GTX 580, and 660 Ti a low end card lol.

Mid-end cards like the r9 280x/r9 290 and GTX 960 outperform the PS4's underclocked, stream-lined, picairn. And that is without mentioning its CPU bottleneck. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-Radeon-HD-7870

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-Radeon-HD-7870

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7870-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

It is obvious that the PS4's GPU is comparable to the lower half of mid-end cards (r9 270x/ GTX 760/etc.) Its card is comparable to the $150 GPU's not the $200-250 GPU's. High-end GPU's ($300+) greatly outperform the PS4's GPU. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7870-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-Radeon-HD-7870

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7870-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

Also note I'm comparing to an HD 7870 with a bencmark 2.56 Tflops, and the PS4 is rated about 1.8 Tflops. So it is even less fair for the PS4 than the GpuBoss specs show. 

If the PS4 were as capable as PC's with these cards every game would be playeable at medium/high settings 1080p 30fps locked, especially with closed-platform optimization, but there are plenty of games which aren't. 

Chazore said:

The other issue I see with random jumps in requirements can also mean bad porting, some games can ask a lot but really they don't require that much and some can't even run properly on the likes of higher end cards or SLI at times for some ports, but that's usually the fault of the dev team, hardly the gamer since it's the devs job to make the game run as smooth as possible.

I wouldn't consider the PS4 very high end though, at least mid end at best with what they're sporting and the sacrifices being made so early into the gen.

Logic:

- Games runs bad on PC, it is a bad and unoptimized port, PC is high end and powerful.

- Game runs bad on PS4, PS4 is weak and low end, game is of course well optimized.

A lot of double standard here!

torok said:
Chazore said:

Logic:

- Games runs bad on PC, it is a bad and unoptimized port, PC is high end and powerful.

- Game runs bad on PS4, PS4 is weak and low end, game is of course well optimized.

A lot of double standard here!

If you ignore the rest of his post and take everything out of context, sure that was Chazore's argument.