By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No one's talking about the new Splatoon news? You'll want to.

AgentZorn said:
Only one online mode? That is insanely pathetic.

People called Titanfall bare bones but this takes it to a whole new level.

Well to be fair, Titanfall has come a very long way.  Features and content are great now.

But yeah, none of this seems particulariy good for a multiplayer game.  Sure no cpu is nice, but how is that not expected...

Around the Network
st0pnsw0p said:
averagegamer515 said:
I have nothing against the Wii U but...what is it with this game? Why are people so excited for this:/

Because it's a new core retail IP made by Nintendo themselves. I think the last time that happened was Pikmim.

Ooo OK that makes sense then. I couldn't figure out the reason for the hype.

really confused about how the local multiplayer is going to work out.
If there's only a 4 vs. 4 mode you'd absolutely NEED 8 controllers to even think about playing it. So if they add another local mode that does 2 vs. 2 or whatever, why wouldn't this work online?

padib said:

I know that that's the issue, I was discussing the implications.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of offering multiple modes, their userbase is too small. That's actually one of their smarter decisions in this.

The game's user base will be smaller with just one mode. The game should be F2P with just one mode. You don't charge $60 for a multiplayer shooter with only one mode. No one mode is good enough to not get boring quickly. Short of offering a 20+ hour single player campaign, charging $60 for only one online mode, only one 2 player local mode, and only one assumedly supplimental singleplayer mode is an absolute insult.

Barozi said:
If there's only a 4 vs. 4 mode you'd absolutely NEED 8 controllers to even think about playing it. So if they add another local mode that does 2 vs. 2 or whatever, why wouldn't this work online?

Local multiplayer is 1v1.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Local co-op is only 1 vs 1.

nintendo always knows how to screw up a good thing!! re:voice chat

Unless they decide plan to add more modes and such this game is going to be dead after a month

spemanig said:

(1) Game won’t use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start
(2) Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that
(3) No communication with players you are matched with

These are the only things that I have problems with. 

Just like a few people in the thread has already mentioned, the lack of communcation kinda sounds like this game won't be as strategic as we all thought it could be and for me that is a let down, unless there's some sort of planning you can do before the match starts.  If you are allowed to do that, then that won't be so bad. 

The lack of modes in the game severely cuts the game's longetivity and overall replay value (for a Nintendo game) would be poor, unless there are modes added to the game as an update at a later date.  Of course if modes are added to the game at a later date through updates, DLC, etc., then those modes probably should have been included in the game from the start and the game delayed to finish everything up as a result.

As for CPU fighters, we all know this is for the online portion of the game.  But what happens when one of those human players drop out midway through a match?  Is that team just going to be at a disadvantage through being outnumbered until a human player replaces the dropped player?  They could have a bot PLAY for the missing person until someone comes in the match instead of playing a 3v4 game.

To me, I'm a little disappointed and a little turned off of the game as some hype for this game just went down a little when I read this thread and I'm glad I did.  With that being said, Splatoon (IMO) just went from a MUST have game that I was gonna get DAY ONE to a game I'll get eventually....UNLESS these issues are addressed, of course.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

padib said:

It's not an insult if you choose to buy the game regardless. And I'm sure you and I will, making it not an insult given that we will pay for it.

Unless one of us is a moron, but I doubt that.

Is that a joke? Of course it is an insult. Getting spit in the face isn't less insulting just because you were warned about it first.