By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No one's talking about the new Splatoon news? You'll want to.

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:

It does that. You can even touch the gamepad to jump straight to them.

That's ... interesting.  Seems like it would break any objective-based gameplay but it doesn't sound like Splatoon will have much of that, anyway.

Really, they're gearing this up to be a game that kids can pick up and play without getting totally slaughtered by organized opponents.  That's just the way it's going to be.  Still, if they could add other modes besides the standard death-match style, they could limit voice communication to only those modes.

Or, possibly, they aren't expecting very many people to keep playing for very long, so they're trying to keep the pool as undiluted as possible.  That might be a sign that this game will come in well below expectations.

The games objective is to cover as much ground with your ink as possible, not to kill other people. It won't have other modes from the sound of it (with an incredibly stupid reason as to why, just say you were too lazy, at least that's believable). This game was probably developed in less than a year if that is all they could come up with.

Around the Network

I'm really looking forward to this game, but none of this news is really good... i dont think it will be much of an issue but I hope the gameplay is deep enough to make it thoroughly entertaining.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

This is entirely speculation on my part for now.
With the communication part that many are talking about. It says no communication with people you are "matched" with. So to me that sounds like randoms that you are matched with. If you are playing with friends there very well could be communication like with MK.
As I said, this is just speculation, but if correct I think it's one of the best ways to go. I damn well hate playing online COD, TF2, BF, Left 4 Dead ect. While being able to hear others talk. So many kids screaming or spitting out profanity... drives me nuts.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

This doesn't paint a good picture.

My puns are the best!!

Can I get my friends together online to play randomers? If so we can be on TeamSpeak....

Around the Network

Outside of guild matches or playing with friends it doesn't seem like voice chat is ever used in games these days... I play Battledfield 3 and, while I chat with my buddy, I almost never hear anyone else speak in those games, and on the rare occasion that I do it's generally some heavy breathing 12 year old.

None of these are really surprises to me... Still looks like a lot of fun. Why would anyone expect CPU stand ins on multiplayer?

It does make me curious what the 1player mode will be like though.

"Game won’t use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start"

Don't have problems with this, as long as they're referring to online only. I don't wanna play with bots online. However, I'd love an option to play with bots offline if I'm in the mood for some action not online or for when the internet is down.

"Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that"

Now this is bad news imo. It sucks if the turf mode is the only one available. I'd love for a 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 vs 4, deathmatch, capture the flag, and others of the like. This for me could be a deal breaker. Probably now won't be day one full price game for me at least...

"No communication with players you are matched with"

Culdn't care less for me, but I admit it would be nice for others to have this option. If it's because of little kids, why not include voice chat off only for wiiUs with parental control activated? Or some kind of user age restrictions for voice chat?

Two things I worry about: 1. No CPU's used for online matchmaking more than likely means you might have to wait long periods of time in between matches.
2. No communication between players is a poor choice in a team focuses game mode, regardless of speed of the game. I was looking forward to dividing my team to do different tasks such as defending points and having dedicated 'inkers'(map painters)

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Kerotan said:
This doesn't paint a good picture.

My puns are the best!!

Funny one!

But what make your quote even funnier is that "puns" in my native language means farts. Soooooo.. your farts are the best! :D

The, pretty much, solid confirmation that the only online mode is Turf Wars bothers me the most.