By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Finally Catch and Beat PS4 as of The Fastest Selling Console in the History

the fact it took 5Qs to get to that point still amazes me.

Around the Network

Added graph.

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:
Ps4 will beat the Wii easily in a few years

easily?

in a few years?

it would take at least 4 years and it wont be easy.

Wii died very fast after only 4 years, so I believe PS4 will sell much more than Wii at the end of its life cycle, EASY!

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

UncleScrooge said:
ethomaz said:
SjOne said:
PS4 lost the fastest selling record in July

Wut? 10.2m vs 9.27m... no chance sorry.

I don't like this chart. It puts things into a wrong context. The Wii was heavily supply constrained for almost 3 years. People literally lined up in front of stores to get a console. The PS4 is not supply constrained anymore and hasn't been so for half a year. As for the PS2 graph: The PS2 was only out in Japan for the first few months. You can see the graph spiking around the time it was released worldwide. 

And yeah, I didn't say that to miscredit your post in any way. The numbers are there and they don't lie, the PS4 is selling really well. But the circumstances for both the Wii and the PS2 were different. Also, the PS2 wasn't the break-out success people make it out to be. The PSX sold faster at peak popularity. The PS2 just kept on selling and selling and selling. A bit like the original Gameboy. 

Just wanted to get this stuff off my chest

"The Wii was heavily supply constrained for almost 3 years. People literally lined up in front of stores to get a console. The PS4 is not supply constrained anymore and hasn't been so for half a year."

That's because Nintendo didn't know the Wii was going to be a fad. It's their fault for not ramping up production to the point of overstock. Not being able to get one creates an artifical scarcity intended or not.

Sony knew that the PS4 was going to sell well at the start (unlike the PS3) due to the price and features. So, they didn't go the scacity route. They went the reality route. Let the console sell itself, without overhyping (like the PS3). Granded "Wii Parites" sold itself too. But that fad died after 4 years.

So, please. No, "But when I was a kid I had to walk to school, in the snow, up hill, both ways" sob stories. The PS4 is already on pace to break 120MIL lifetime sold. And that's before the first price cut.

Fixed one typo.

It is 20.14m and not .17

It is even closer.

Around the Network

ethomaz and his never ending war...

Side note, are you ready to acept that the PS3 will never even get to the 90mi? I´d love if could bring back your old threads where you claimed it would easily pass the 100mi and get close to the Wii number.

and it sounds like PS4 had zero chance to overtake Wii anymore huh... 

Not happening. PS4 won't outsell Wii in the same time span. Overall? Probably, but not in the same window of time that Wii did. Wii is just too much of a juggernaut.

UncleScrooge said:

Oh, come on. This is not true and you know it. The Wii being supply constrained is not "anecdotal evidence" - that thing was selling for way more than retail price for years. You can even looks at VGchartz' very own weekly sales graphs and see the heavy fluctuations in weekly sales the Wii had. Sorry but this is just cheap and you know it. You've been here for years, haven't you been posting during the Wii days? The Wii being completely sold out was like the most popular topic on these very forums for years. It was sold out everywhere except Japan. You can't deny that. 

The graph does indeed show the factual numbers but the PS2 was only out in Japan for the first months. The circumstances were different, that's all I'm saying. 

Yeah, PS4 was supply constrained in early 2014. I know that, it's not anecdotal evidence (See? I'm being consistent here). And yeah, PS2 did amazing numbers in its later life cycle. But its peak year was lower than the Wii's and I doubt the PS4's 2015 will match the Wii's 2008 (you are free to disagree here). The Wii had a higher peak but dropped off faster. The PS2 had a lower peak but continued to sell steadily in great numbers for years. The PS2 is the best selling console in history and I'm confident the PS4 will sell 100m lifetime. I didn't want to get into a battle here I'll back off now, have a nice day

That whole supply constrained crap is just BS. We are talking about shipped numbers here as far as Sony is concerned. Looking at how supply constrained something is to justify your argument is truly anecdotal. That's like saying, company A shipped 15 and company B shipped 10M, but cause company B couldn't make enough to meet demand and was thus supply constrained, it means it sold better than company A.

Makes no sense, keep it simple, as of sometime in December, the PS4 was the fastest selling console ever, but that's all going to change now cause the Wii will retake that title for the next 2/3 years. How many consoles are shipped is the most accurate way to know exactly how many consoles are out there, as always shipped ultimately means sold. This is why MS even refuses to give an accurate number of its shipped Xbox consoels by platform. 

GameLogix said:

"The Wii was heavily supply constrained for almost 3 years. People literally lined up in front of stores to get a console. The PS4 is not supply constrained anymore and hasn't been so for half a year."

That's because Nintendo didn't know the Wii was going to be a fad. It's their fault for not ramping up production to the point of overstock. Not being able to get one creates an artifical scarcity intended or not.

Sony knew that the PS4 was going to sell well at the start (unlike the PS3) due to the price and features. So, they didn't go the scacity route. They went the reality route. Let the console sell itself, without overhyping (like the PS3). Granded "Wii Parites" sold itself too. But that fad died after 4 years.

So, please. No, "But when I was a kid I had to walk to school, in the snow, up hill, both ways" sob stories. The PS4 is already on pace to break 120MIL lifetime sold. And that's before the first price cut.

How is it their fault? The Wii was a massive hit that appealed to ALL demographics. Sony could anticipate the PS4 because of demographics. Nintendo took a longshot by appealing to non-gamers and they - as well as the ENTIRE gaming industry - were blind sided at just how popular it became. Should Nintendo have become more prepared? Yes, but can't blame them.

The Wii revolutionized gaming but Nintendo didn't take advantage.