By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Sells SOE (Sony Entertainment Online) to Columbus Nova! Going multiplatform (Xbox)

I imagine the DDOS thing as of late was a contributor to this decision. I don't think it's necessarily a bad one. SOE hasn't really dont anything notable in a long time. EQ Next is all hot air thus far and I doubt it'll be anything close to what they're promising. That's my cynicism anyways.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

Yes indeed. I bet Sony could've made tons of revenue from subscriptions from SOE's free to play games. /s

FTP games have subscription options. For example, DCUO is FTP, but also has subscriptions. And revenue can also come from microtransactions. And ads.

EverQuest also has a FTP option, AND subscription. Idk about microtransactions, but last I played, it did have ads. So you see, loads of revenue avenues even for FTP games!

I do hope this helped.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Teeqoz said:

Yes indeed. I bet Sony could've made tons of revenue from subscriptions from SOE's free to play games. /s

FTP games have subscription options. For example, DCUO is FTP, but also has subscriptions. And revenue can also come from microtransactions. And ads.

EverQuest also has a FTP option, AND subscription. Idk about microtransactions, but last I played, it did have ads. So you see, loads of revenue avenues even for FTP games!

I do hope this helped.

I am completely aware that there are revenue streams from F2P games... However I assume that's not the largest revenue stream from SOE's games, mainly because EQ hasn't been big for ages. Subscription revenue =/= Ad/microtransaction revenue

OttoniBastos said:

Oh please sony never considered SOE "as part of the gaming division".It was not part of sony's internal studios.

I know where this is going,fanboys will start implying that Naughty dog or any other internal studio will be the next or something.

SOE was always an oddball,an outsider studio.They make mmos which is a PC oriented genre.

Thanks for the spin and damage control. The reality is Sony fans have been hyped about Planetside 2, H1Z1, and Everquest on PS4. Now all those IPs could potentially be on Xbox.

If MS sold something like Killer Instinct and it came to PS4, people would say that's another nail in the coffin for Xbox. Yet Sony selling an entire studio that had PS4 console exclusives is not big news?

Frankly, this news is delicious. Sony fans kept telling us Xbox is going to lose support because of PS4 domination. But who suspected Sony's financial situation is making them sell IPs which are now coming to Xbox?

Moderated - Leadified

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Sony selling SOE isn't that bad. The studio has always been very PC-focused and didn't have much interest in console development. That's probably why Sony sold them. To date they've only actually released one PS4 game, and that was just a port of a PS3 game. Planetside 2 was supposed to be a launch title for PS4 but it's still not out. Why? Because SOE directs all their resources to PC. I find it funny that people think Daybreak is going to start releasing a bunch of new Xbox games. They barely even worked on PS4 games. I wouldn't see any console ports of a game releasing until years after the game had actually been launched.

The studio is not an integral part of Playstation They only actually released 3 games on PS3 and PS4 and only one of the games wasn't just a port of PC title. Seriously, all the concern trolling of "Sony is selling of game studios!" is ridiculous.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

I am completely aware that there are revenue streams from F2P games... However I assume that's not the largest revenue stream from SOE's games, mainly because EQ hasn't been big for ages. Subscription revenue =/= Ad/microtransaction revenue

Doesn't seem so. Apparently you didn't even know they have subscription models. I appreciate the smarmy /s though, gave me a good laugh.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Teeqoz said:

Doesn't seem so. Apparently you didn't even know they have subscription models. I appreciate the smarmy /s though, gave me a good laugh.

I'm not quite sure how you'd think that I don't know that F2P games have revenue streams. Do you think I'm an idiot?

I didn't know of the SOE allaccess thing which is the subscription SOE has that covers all their games. Not quite sure how you interpret that into meaning that I don't know that F2P games make money at all though. I've played LoL and Smite and TF2, as well as a few other F2P games. I haven't been living under a rock for the past years if that's what you think.

Mr Puggsly said:
OttoniBastos said:

Oh please sony never considered SOE "as part of the gaming division".It was not part of sony's internal studios.

I know where this is going,fanboys will start implying that Naughty dog or any other internal studio will be the next or something.

SOE was always an oddball,an outsider studio.They make mmos which is a PC oriented genre.

Thanks for the spin and damage control. The reality is Sony fans have been hyped about Planetside 2, H1Z1, and Everquest on PS4. Now all those IPs could potentially be on Xbox.

If MS sold something like Killer Instinct and it came to PS4, people would say that's another nail in the coffin for Xbox. Yet Sony selling an entire studio that had PS4 console exclusives is not big news?

Frankly, this news is delicious. Sony fans kept telling us Xbox is going to lose support because of PS4 domination. But who suspected Sony's financial situation is making them sell IPs which are now coming to Xbox?

You have to keep posts like this out of this thread. Did you not see sales get banned?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

All the SOE fans on this forum... never would have guessed!

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

the_real_dsister44 said:
Torillian said:
SOE has always been a weird independent entity within Sony that wasn't connected directly to SCE as far as I could tell. Always had it's own booth at E3 and other events, its own PR, everything separate. I guess in that context it's not the most surprising thing.

Isn't that how most of Sony operates though? I know most of their ventures act independently of the other branches. and that is why we have funky situations like the Intview being released on XBL but not PSN 

That is how Sony operates, I'm just making it clear that selling SOE really doesn't have anything to do with playstation.  Big news for Sony, just a changing of lists for fanboys as far as playstation goes.