By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon US february monthly bestsellers and general Amazon based discussion

celador said:
DerNebel said:
celador said:
It's been clear The Order isn't going to review well for months. Getting hopes up for a decent score is pointless. I'm still predicting a sub-70 meta.

With decently I meant like 75ish meta, if it goes below 70 then some people on the net are going to have a field day with this same if it goes above 80, if it stays around 75 it should stay rather quiet.

I think it has to be above 80 to stop the trolls. LBP3 is a mediocre game with a 79 meta after all.

Well those are the real hardcore trolls, if it goes below 70 it will become pretty widespread, vgchartz will have quite a few bans if that happens.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
celador said:

I think it has to be above 80 to stop the trolls. LBP3 is a mediocre game with a 79 meta after all.

Well those are the real hardcore trolls, if it goes below 70 it will become pretty widespread, vgchartz will have quite a few bans if that happens.

Below 70 is what I am expecting. Even The Order thread on gaf that was positive has turned sour. I see the game getting panned for the following

• AI is supposedly lacking
  • The game is short
  • The game is linear
  • The game does not have multiplayer
  • QTEs
  • Insta-fail stealth sections
That is why, like I said earlier in the thread, that first week sales may need to be good because I think the legs will be cut off of this game due to reviews. Amazon seems to suggest (as well as that guy on gaf) that sales in launch week will be quite impressive. Hopefully that is the case. I am interested to see what the general public make of it. On Amazon UK for example, Knack has a user rating of 4.3/5. I wonder if this game could be similar, with the general public taking to the game better than the critics. Maybe that will give it some word of mouth going forward. I do have a feeling though, that after the opening week, the game will drop fast on Amazon hourly.

DerNebel said:
bananaking21 said:
DerNebel said:
For the last couple days I was growing more hopeful that the Order will review decently at least, but with the whole shit that has been happening in the last couple hours that hope has dropped again, reviewers will criticize this a lot and word of mouth might be mixed as well.

I think the Order will have a strong first week but its legs might be cut short, I just hope that they still get to make a sequel in which they can incorporate everything they've learned from this and make it better, cause the basic idea of this game is great.

whats been going on? 

Some guy has started uploading the whole game to Youtube and it's 5.5 hours long (or his playthrough is at the very least) even if he rushed through the game without looking for collectables and stuff that is still not too long, also we can probably assume that reviewers are going to do the same so that will surely have a negative effect on reviews. Aside from that he also started the whole "it's more cutscenes than gameplay" stuff again, which has since also been picked up by some users on Gaf with one saying he's 4 hours into the game and it has been "80% cutscenes until now", also some people say that they didn't like the ending.

A whole lot of trash talking and shitting on the game has started again on Gaf.

I have not watched the youtube playthrough but I have checked the video length, the dude has uploaded the game one video per chapter and there are 7 videos at the moment that are less than 10 minutes long (and a couple that are barely over 10 minutes) if that is true then that seems like pretty poor design, but I'm trying to keep an open mind and not be swepped away to one of the sides too much.

Well if all that is true then it's pretty disappointing. But don't forget you are supposedly able to speed run through all of the God of War games in about 3 or 4 hours, but I've never been able to get through a God of War game in less than 12. On my first run through. So if the major criticism is length then I will probably ignore that. If the other major criticisim is more cutscenes than gameplay, well that will only be bad if the voice acting is bad and the story is lame. Otherwise I'll be OK with a lot of cut scenes for a first play through. But it does reduce replayability.

But in all of that greyed out text you don't mention people crapping on the gameplay, aside from that there isn't much of it. So has there been any word on whether the gameplay is good?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

This hate is becoming crazy, people buying a game just to rush it and troll on internet

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

PS4 at 11 and Xb one at 25 is pretty much the biggest spread int he hourly chart all month.

Nice to see The Order cracking into the top 10 even if only temporarily.

I wasn't going to buy The Order until the end of the year or next year. But if it appears to be getting unfair trolling on the internet I might have to pick it up more or less straight away so I can from my own opinion on it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
celador said:
DerNebel said:

Below 70 is what I am expecting. Even The Order thread on gaf that was positive has turned sour. I see the game getting panned for the following

• The game is short
  • The game is linear
  • QTEs
That is why, like I said earlier in the thread, that first week sales may need to be good because I think the legs will be cut off of this game due to reviews. Amazon seems to suggest (as well as that guy on gaf) that sales in launch week will be quite impressive. Hopefully that is the case. I am interested to see what the general public make of it. On Amazon UK for example, Knack has a user rating of 4.3/5. I wonder if this game could be similar, with the general public taking to the game better than the critics. Maybe that will give it some word of mouth going forward. I do have a feeling though, that after the opening week, the game will drop fast on Amazon hourly.

Yeah, and that's mainly why I think reviewers are worthless.  I'm sure they're great people, but it's like before they even start a game, let's come up with every meaningless reason we can mark a game down, and start from basically a 50.  That's idiotic.  A game that never meant to have MP in it, should not be reviewed lower, simply because it doesn't have MP.  I consider that a faulty review policy.  Because let's face it, we rarely (if ever) see a MP/SP game, where the overall score is marked down because the MP clearly took away from the SP experience...if that were the case, CoD would probably rank somewhere in the high 3's.

I do, however, think it's appropriate to be a bit more critical on the SP elements, since the dev team didn't have to worry about split focus between SP/MP.

DerNebel said:

Some guy has started uploading the whole game to Youtube and it's 5.5 hours long (or his playthrough is at the very least) even if he rushed through the game without looking for collectables and stuff that is still not too long, also we can probably assume that reviewers are going to do the same so that will surely have a negative effect on reviews. Aside from that he also started the whole "it's more cutscenes than gameplay" stuff again, which has since also been picked up by some users on Gaf with one saying he's 4 hours into the game and it has been "80% cutscenes until now", also some people say that they didn't like the ending.

A whole lot of trash talking and shitting on the game has started again on Gaf.

I have not watched the youtube playthrough but I have checked the video length, the dude has uploaded the game one video per chapter and there are 7 videos at the moment that are less than 10 minutes long (and a couple that are barely over 10 minutes) if that is true then that seems like pretty poor design, but I'm trying to keep an open mind and not be swepped away to one of the sides too much.

After read this any doubt i had about the metascore of this game is gonne.

And the reason is pretty clear,RAD is trying to pretend that this game is something it isn't.

They're trying to make the game look like Uncharted but everytime they show something,the game looks more and more like Heavy Rain.

And that is not a problem as long as RAD come and say to us: "It's an interactive movie!"

Reviewers will trash this game cause they will play expecting a TLOU/Uncharted kind of game and will end with a QTE/cutscenes fest.

celador said:
DerNebel said:

• The game is short
  • The game is linear
  • QTEs

Very possible, I must say that I myself am playing with the thought of just watching the thing on Youtube now, when before I was thinking of picking it up when I have a PS4 (though probably not for full price), but I'm still holding of on making that decision.

It is always extremely hard to decide who to trust at this point, there are people out there just trying to shit on the game (I for example highly doubt that a normal player is going to clear the game in the time that dude with the youtube playthrough did, he may have just rushed through it to have the first full playthrough online) but there are definitely also people out there just trying to defend the game as well, I think this one user on Neogaf that played the game already (theman2k) and gave his thoughts on it is probably the one I'd trust the most right now, he gave a lot of criticism but said that overall the good still outweighs the bad, almost everything else seems way to extreme at the moment. So user impression are still up in the air.

But like I said, I feel that the premise of the game is great and the potential is definitely there, so I just hope that RAD at gets a chance to make a sequel for this. I think AC might be a good comparison here, the first game is considered pretty mediocre as far as I know, but the second one build on it thus became way better.

binary solo said:

Well if all that is true then it's pretty disappointing. But don't forget you are supposedly able to speed run through all of the God of War games in about 3 or 4 hours, but I've never been able to get through a God of War game in less than 12. On my first run through. So if the major criticism is length then I will probably ignore that. If the other major criticisim is more cutscenes than gameplay, well that will only be bad if the voice acting is bad and the story is lame. Otherwise I'll be OK with a lot of cut scenes for a first play through. But it does reduce replayability.

But in all of that greyed out text you don't mention people crapping on the gameplay, aside from that there isn't much of it. So has there been any word on whether the gameplay is good?

What I've read is that the gameplay is solid, but not mindblowing or perfect.

I think the order will be fine its over 10 hours completing it 100% I heard so its not like short short
plus metal gear solid ground zeroes can be 100% completed in 5 hours and that has a green metacritic score

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3