By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Apparently Still Being Sold At A Loss

Goodnightmoon said:

So maybe this year isn´t profitable (the console)  because they have to make more WiiUs, right? Ok but are the games and the amiibo for WiiU making the console profitable even if they sold at lost this year? I feel like some people just want to see a nintendoomed everywhere.

Some people want the same for xbox .just gotta live with it :P

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network

They'll likely cut out the legacy silicon from the Wii-mode in future streamlines of the console to cut down costs. There's simply no way to shrink that old legacy chipset and it costs them in raw production.

Soundwave said:
baloofarsan said:

Yamauchi is the one who negotiated the component deals though. He would never let Nintendo use such exotic, expensive hardware (for little to no gain). 

The SGI chip in the N64 I think upset Nintendo's designers to the point where they insisted all consoles after that had to be made to their needs, the problem with that is it's prohibitively expensive when you make odd/bizarre design decisions. 

Iwata needs to clamp down and assert authority over his devs, but I get the sense at Nintendo he doesn't have the authority to do that and has to go along with the opinions of like 5-6 other people. 

Nintendo's developers are great. They'd make a fun game on any architecture, they need to be reigned in and made to understand that it can't be all about them. The company is being hurt by a lot of stupid design fetish-fulfilment on the part of their designers rather than making more sensible, cost-effective (and even performance effective) decisions. 

Nintendo could've used a more off the shelf AMD GPU for Wii U for example and likely gotten a considerably more powerful GPU, but too much focus on the wrong priorities. Backwards compatibility with the Wii was a big mistake too, it basically shackled Nintendo to the ancient PowerPC architecture that they can't redesign or renegotiate (most likely) on price right now. 

Lately Nintendo has put in features, both in consoles and handhelds, that are not used at all or very poorly (second screen, 3D, NFC, TWiii). It is as every new idea they have at brainstorms should be realized in the hardware, but then they do not have the tenacity to fulfill the features possibilities.

Yamauchi was also a ruthless negotiator too, I'm not sure if you could strong-arm vendors like this anymore ...

He forced the NES component makers to renegotiate their component prices right before the system launched, they protested wildly but were effectively blackmailed into accepting Nintendo's terms because they needed the contract, lol.

The SGI deal for the N64 was already a remarkably cheap deal for hardware of that performance, Tom Kalinske at Sega wanted the chip badly but Sega's Japan division was already working on the (disastrous) Sega Saturn so he was overruled. But even there Yamauchi forced them to bring down the price on it before launch so they could sell it $199.99 instead of the previously agreed upon launch price of $250 (granted some of this had to do with a delay).

The original GBA screen was supposed to be a lot brighter, but Nintendo switched to a cheaper darker screen at the last minute. As a result though the system was virtually unplayable in anything other than direct light. Konami's Castlevania game especially was problematic for being too dark, but Konami had designed the game on the brighter dev kit screen that they assumed would be in the final version. This all led to many people modding their GBAs with lights. It was quite a nice cottage industry until Nintendo finally released the backlit GBA SP.

Nintendo being between a rock and a hard place is where I prefer them to be. Consoles sold at a loss? Good. It gives them more incentive to crank out games since that's their bulk money maker.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

So maybe this year isn´t profitable (the console)  because they have to make more WiiUs, right? Ok but are the games and the amiibo for WiiU making the console profitable even if they sold at lost this year? I feel like some people just want to see a nintendoomed everywhere.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the text I bolded 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

baloofarsan said:

Lately Nintendo has put in features, both in consoles and handhelds, that are not used at all or very poorly (second screen, 3D, NFC, TWiii). It is as every new idea they have at brainstorms should be realized in the hardware, but then they do not have the tenacity to fulfill the features possibilities.

The fuck? Sure TWii is useless and 3D is arguable, but second screen is hardly "not used at all" and NFC is in part for the multibillion dollar franchises of Skylanders/DI/Amiibo that are soem of the few things that sell well on the WiiU that aren't Nintendo limited.

Welp Doesn't look like there will be a price cut then.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Vena said:
baloofarsan said:

The fuck? Sure TWii is useless and 3D is arguable, but second screen is hardly "not used at all" and NFC is in part for the multibillion dollar franchises of Skylanders/DI/Amiibo that are soem of the few things that sell well on the WiiU that aren't Nintendo limited.

Skylanders/DI don't use the NFC chip in the Wii U controller though. They have a seperate base, so that people don't have to pay for that as a hardware cost.

I get some people like the second screen, but I do think Nintendo needs to start making more mainstream design decisions. You can't handcuff yourself to features that don't drive system sales just because a few people like it. 

I'm sure some people would've liked for example backwards compatibility on the PS4, or a LCD screen on the PS4 controller, but the fact is Sony made the right call by nixing those types of ideas and instead simply making sure that money went instead to features that benefit the entire userbase (better chipset) and kept ancilliarary costs down, so they could offer consumers a powerful system and a fairly reasonable cost from day 1. 

How many 3DS games really couldn't work without the dual screen instead of say a single screen touch panel layout?

How many Wii U games really are vitally connected to have a giant screen on the controller and simply would not function at all without it? 

How much has Wii backwards compatibility helped the Wii U?

How many people chose to buy a Wii U because it consumes only 33 watts of electricity?

More #'s, less speculation please.