By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo’s Outlook Disappoints and Mario Can’t Save Wii U (Stock down 8.7%)

Great news for Nintendo!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Bloomberg becomes more and more propaganda channel for US company's downplaying any companies not from the US or entire countires not in favor of US politics. Here is another example

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-28/why-india-will-keep-growing-faster-than-china

Ruler said:

Bloomberg becomes more and more propaganda channel for US company's downplaying any companies not from the US

I dunno they're taking a pretty big sh*t on McDonalds on their front page, lol. 

Nintendo's stock plummeting 8.7 percent in a day though shows the shareholders are not happy. 

Soundwave said:
spemanig said:

Oh... Well I dunno. I mean, I don't expect to see it so soon after the N3DS launch in NA. I personally don't see that announcement until like November this year at the absolute earliest. But more realisicelly I'd bet on E3 next year, not this year.

Well they might be planning to release the handheld (at least in Japan) before E3 2016, so that moves E3 2016 out. 

It has to be this June's show if they're planning to launch around spring 2016 for Japan. 

Unveiling in November really isn't Nintendo's style because it would take away all the attention from their holiday lineup to say "hey look at this thing we're launching next year". 

It would also basically be a similar time line to the 3DS unveil ... they announced the 3DS in March 2010 I think, the same month they released the DSi XL in North America. Then they unveiled the 3DS with playable demos at E3 2010. The system launched in Japan about eight months later, and about a year later in the US. 

I really honestly don't think the New 3DS really means much more to Nintendo than the DSi XL did -- it's just a last gasp revision, nothing more, nothing less. With its built-in Amiibo functionality it will be stocked in stores for a few more years no matter what, as a cheaper/low end market option when the next-gen Nintendo portable comes out. So New 3DS still has a role. It just may not be the one some people have mistakenly dreamt up for it. 

Soundwave oh my gosh...I know your dreams but they will stay just dreams!

New3ds/xl is dsi and dsi xl not just Dsi xl...

So it will stay at least for two years.(2009-2011(Dsi /dsi xl) so New3ds/ New 3DS xl 2015-2017)

As for Japan I wouldn't be suprised if the 3DS successor will  come in 2016 but put out of your the spring 2016,if it releases in 2016 it will be on holidays,so after two years of the release of New3ds/xl there!

tak13 said:
Soundwave said:

Well they might be planning to release the handheld (at least in Japan) before E3 2016, so that moves E3 2016 out. 

It has to be this June's show if they're planning to launch around spring 2016 for Japan. 

Unveiling in November really isn't Nintendo's style because it would take away all the attention from their holiday lineup to say "hey look at this thing we're launching next year". 

It would also basically be a similar time line to the 3DS unveil ... they announced the 3DS in March 2010 I think, the same month they released the DSi XL in North America. Then they unveiled the 3DS with playable demos at E3 2010. The system launched in Japan about eight months later, and about a year later in the US. 

I really honestly don't think the New 3DS really means much more to Nintendo than the DSi XL did -- it's just a last gasp revision, nothing more, nothing less. With its built-in Amiibo functionality it will be stocked in stores for a few more years no matter what, as a cheaper/low end market option when the next-gen Nintendo portable comes out. So New 3DS still has a role. It just may not be the one some people have mistakenly dreamt up for it. 

So it will stay at least for two years.(2009-2011(Dsi /dsi xl) so New3ds/ New 3DS xl 2015-2017)

As for Japan I wouldn't be suprised if the 3DS successor will  come in 2016 but put out of your the spring 2016,if it releases in 2016 it will be on holidays,so after two years of the release of New3ds/xl there!

DSi XL - Nov 2009 (Japan)

DSi XL - March 2010 (West)

3DS Announcement - March 2010 (lol)

3DS Unveiling - June 2010 (E3)

3DS Launch - Feburary 2011 (delayed from a planned holiday 2010)

Keep in mind Nintendo is also in a much more desperate situation right now. DS/Wii were still selling very well back then. They should be in more of a hurry now for obvious reasons. 

There could be other external issues for wanting to lanuch the next handheld quicker too -- ie: pressure from third parties. Like Capcom wanting to launch Monster Hunter 5 in say fall 2016, but they don't want to launch in the launch window (when the userbase is starting from 0). So launching in spring allows the new system to have a decent install base by the time Capcom is ready to launch their game. Other obvious issues are quarterly earnings reports. The spring is also an important time in Japan because it has the Golden Week holiday, which is a big sales week there. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Lol, they pretty much did that with the N3DS in the West.

I think it's much more the DSi than the DSi XL. I agree that it's a last gasp revision, but I think they're trying to hold that gasp out much longer than you do. I think it's a huge foreshadowing as to how the next handheld will be designed, though.

Every added feature to the N3DS is one that I predicted like last year would be on the 3DS's official successor, so I think it's more of a bridge. Dual analog above the ABXY buttons (only they couldn't fit a real circle pad on this one because of how the 3DS is designed) and 2 added bumpers that look like the bumpers on the wii classic controller. The one thing I absolutely didn't predict was the improved 3D screen, which definitively confirmes to me that it's staying for the successor system. I see the successor looking a LOT like the N3DS. Just with more power and the true start of Nintendo's unified OS platform.

I don't think we'll see the next iteration until after E3 next year. (though the sooner, the better if you ask me) If they've only just merged their two divisions late last year, I simply don't see them ready push out any must have software out at the system's launch if it's just Spring 2016. Again, the sooner, the better in my opinion, but I just don't see it. I think they'll want that 6 months of extra buffer.

Whatever they do, definitely I don't see them actuall releasing the thing out this year.

Soundwave said:
tak13 said:

DSi XL - Nov 2009 (Japan)

DSi XL - March 2010 (West)

3DS Announcement - March 2010 (lol)

3DS Unveiling - June 2010 (E3)

3DS Launch - Feburary 2011 (delayed from a planned holiday 2010)

Keep in mind Nintendo is also in a much more desperate situation right now. DS/Wii were still selling very well back then. They should be in more of a hurry now for obvious reasons. 

No I won't keep it in my mind as soon as it is in a much more desperate situation for the f@@@@@ analysts that want them to go on mobile but nintendo rightly shows them the middle finger!

Iwata shows you that they are in a desperate situation?If yeah I will accept it but if your comment is based on the analysts aspects,then I won't!:P

Shows how much financial markets suck. Better to surpass your forecast than to put a too high one and dissapoint.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Lol, they pretty much did that with the N3DS in the West.

I think it's much more the DSi than the DSi XL. I agree that it's a last gasp revision, but I think they're trying to hold that gasp out much longer than you do. I think it's a huge foreshadowing as to how the next handheld will be designed, though.

Every added feature to the N3DS is one that I predicted like last year would be on the 3DS's official successor, so I think it's more of a bridge. Dual analog above the ABXY buttons (only they couldn't fit a real circle pad on this one because of how the 3DS is designed) and 2 added bumpers that look like the bumpers on the wii classic controller. The one thing I absolutely didn't predict was the improved 3D screen, which definitively confirmes to me that it's staying for the successor system. I see the successor looking a LOT like the N3DS. Just with more power and the true start of Nintendo's unified OS platform.

I don't think we'll see the next iteration until after E3 next year. (though the sooner, the better if you ask me) If they've only just merged their two divisions late last year, I simply don't see them ready push out any must have software out at the system's launch if it's just Spring 2016. Again, the sooner, the better in my opinion, but I just don't see it. I think they'll want that 6 months of extra buffer.

Whatever they do, definitely I don't see them actuall releasing the thing out this year.

Well they kinda had to show the New 3DS because it was launching in Japan for holiday 2014. If it was launch until spring 2015, I think they probably wouldn't have shown it until after the holidays. 

I suspect you will get a sneak peak at the new Nintendo portable at this E3, kinda like how they unveiled the Wii U over a year before launch. Maybe just the casing design. 

They've been working on it for a long time though I think, New 3DS is more of a side project thing for their R&D most likely, Miyamoto mentioned Nintendo's next portable like way back in 2012 (right when the 3DS XL was unveiled), that he had some ideas for it. 

Iwata also said last year that they had a "new definition of video games" (IMO this means the Fusion iPad-iPhone type concept) but it would take two years to come to market (or something to that effect). That was in spring 2014. Add two years to spring 2014 and (voila) you get spring 2016. 

They simply may not have anything else to give the New 3DS either. I mean really, they've thrown every one of their big IP at the 3DS, redesigned it several times ... it just isn't able to carry Nintendo's business going forward, I don't think 9 million 3DS' this fiscal year alone is making Nintendo very happy, 6-7 million would really hurt them. 

Kids are abandoning Nintendo's handhelds in droves for tablets/smartphones. If Nintendo was concerned enough about the PSP in 2004 to cut the GBA's lifecycle to only 3 years, they should probably be a hell of a lot more worried right now. 

Whimps .

Mario is the least of WiiU's problems anyway, if it weren't for 3D World or Kart we could slash the system's sales in half. Also, over 6m amiibo (5.7 misses a few holiday weeks) is pretty impressive.