By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did gaming become a charity instead of a business?

Gaming is fast becoming an industry where the industry come across as if the consumer owe them.

Around the Network
Uabit said:
And this is why wii u has no 3rd party support xDDD

Have you think that MAYBE WiiU is full with first party high quality games, and ps4/xbox One are almost empty on that? With maybe 1 or 2 great first party games per year? So, what will happens if the number of top quality first party games on the other 2 was as higer as on WiiU? What about that?... nah, then the argument will change to "quality is what matters" but is not so now is "third party is the cool thing, you don´t have it... you loser". Ok then.

I think people are just saying to support the games you like and actually buy them. Nintendo fans in general dont really support much outside of nintendo games while PS and XB fans seem to like a wider variety of games

RolStoppable said:

I think it's because the rules for success are defined by non-Nintendo fans and some weak-spirited Nintendo fans are submitting to it, so they urge others to buy games nobody actually wants in order to earn acceptance by their peers (the internet gaming community). There are plenty of folks out there who refuse to call the Wii a success because Nintendo games sold best on it.

This is so very true.  Whether we all want to admit it or not the Nintendo brand has become a niche console.  It caters to a specific base of fans and that is it.  The way the hardware is developed and the way they position their own software both support this.  Hell, the install base is the only reason the Wii got third party support.  Does anyone think that third party devs wanted to do HD and non-HD versions of their games?

AAA game development has become too expensive for third party devs to want to cater to a niche group.  They would rather focus on the more broadly placed PS4 and XB1.  The return on investment for making the games also fit on the Wii U just doesn't make sense to them.  

The problem is you have people who own the niche console who also want the more broad experience.  They are then forced to either support what comes their way or go get another console for it.

We should buy the best, if the best of our console is first-party then...

Around the Network

Business is the problem. At one time the games industry was run by gamers for gamers. These folks would be willing to take risks because they loved the medium. They would be willing to invest in new IP's for the sake of gamers. Now a days everything is done for the sake of investors and stockholders. Many publishers demand big returns on games or you get no game at all.

The theory behind supporting a dev to get more games from them is due to this state of the industry. Its why companies like Double Fine use kickstarter. So if an idea gets greenlighted for a dev and they make good money, others should follow. If the game doesnt make enough that dev may be shut down or they get put to work on the next yearly cash cow instead of new ideas. Nintendo is in a unique situation in that people know supporting 3rd party will be the only way to get more 3rd party. Im with you in not supporting crap efforts. It comes down to return on investment and due to the lack of ROI, the U is in the situation it is in now.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Maybe its because outside of PC I only own Wii U, but I tend to think like the old school gamer. If the 3rd party games are on my system I'd buy them. It didn't stop me from buying the superior Mortal Kombat on Genesis. It also didn't stop me from buying the inferior sequels on Genesis. Its because I had a genesis and I wanted the games.

Same thing with Wii U. I bought games like CoD Ghosts and Injustice and Rayman because they were there and I wanted them. If Destiny was on Wii U I would have bought it as well. Same with almost every other big 3rd party game. Its not my fault that they are not on there. If they were there then those developers would get my money. As a consumer that's all I really can do outside of signing petitions and praying.

RolStoppable said:

Your response has nothing to do with what I said, unless you wanted to mimic the drivel of a non-Nintendo fan.

Misinterpreted what you were saying.  Thought you were talking about people purchasing the games because that is all they have an option for.

As for the drivel comment, the stats for games on the systems back up the statements.

Nobody tells you to buy bad games. Except Spurge.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Neodegenerate said:

What you said, paraphrased, was "some Nintendo fans feel like they have to buy third party games just to get the games on their console"

What I said, paraphrased, was "Nintendo fans don't get third party games because they aren't the reason the majority of Nintendo fans bought the console"

How does that have nothing to do with what you said?

What I said is that some Nintendo fans feel like third party games have to sell better on Nintendo consoles because they expect that the internet gaming community will then look more favorably at all things Nintendo. If you look at this from another angle, it would also mean that any Nintendo fan who dares to question the quality of third party games would be frowned upon; and yes, that's exactly what is happening. As a consequence, a weak-spirited individual would choose the former path and seek acceptance rather than standing up for their beliefs (i.e. specific games aren't worth buying, period). That's why we then get calls that everyone should buy a certain game because the developer is at least somewhat trying.

I edited a couple times since I misinterpreted what you were saying.