By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo on why Pokemon won't be coming to home console

the_dengle said:
"now that even Nintendo has grudgingly implemented online functionality"

What a load of sensationalized ass. Thanks for re-writing history, Kotaku. The first Pokemon games on DS came out in 2006, almost a full year before the first iPhone was even released. They had full online trading and battling, even supported voice chat.

GARME JURNALIZM

It's Kotaku, so unfortunately a little idiocy and hardcorez revisionism comes with the territory.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I was talking about cheap money, not good graphics or a ground up console version. ;)

They put Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS, and that's one of their largest franchises. Sales didn't seem to suffer much, outside of killing its system selling power.

Smash on the 3DS works because it pretty much looks as good as a console version. Pokemon isn't the same. It doesn't look like a console game, so making the top down mediocrity in HD worldn't work. They'd need to make the 3DS version look as good as what a possible console version would look like, only scaled down, just like with Smash.

IkePoR said:

Everytime you rant about Pokemon or Nintendo's next console it makes me want them too.  Stop making me excited for things!

There's more to come.

ktay95 said:
curl-6 said:
ktay95 said:
Real reason, money > innovation

If they really wanted moola, they'd do both, handheld and console, like Smash Bros 4.

Or just do a Pokemon MMORPG on console. That shit would print money.

Making a 3DS game not look like ass on WiiU is a big ask, they would have to develop for WiiU and port down you would think which would cost more. Also the 3DS Pokemon games on WiiU -_- No thanks, I want a real HC Pokemon.

And an MMO may print money but how much does it hurt HH sales?? I mean why buy the HH games when you play the MMO and vice versa. Its an expensive risk, one I just cant see Nintendo ever making unless they are on the verge of bankruptcy

I think Nintendo's bankruptcy card would be to port many of their 80's/90's properties to mobile gaming... Seems like they'd be the largest mobile gaming developer overnight.

That's the path they keep having to talk their shareholders out of, at least.

curl-6 said:

if we could figure out a way to make that happen on consoles it would be an option on the future, but right now that’s just not possible. If you've ever been in the audience at the Pokémon World Championships, that's my ideal for Pokémon, all these people gathering together and playing with each other. If there were a way that a console could enable that, it might be an option, but right now, handheld it is."

Not sure but isn't Pokemon on handhelds internet-enabled as well? Just add a LAN option to home consoles and let players decide if they want to play online with voice-chat or local with other players. What's so hard about that ... it's not even anymore different to the handhelds then. It's not like you magically meet people when you own a handheld and a Pokemon game.

Around the Network
Ostro said:
curl-6 said:

if we could figure out a way to make that happen on consoles it would be an option on the future, but right now that’s just not possible. If you've ever been in the audience at the Pokémon World Championships, that's my ideal for Pokémon, all these people gathering together and playing with each other. If there were a way that a console could enable that, it might be an option, but right now, handheld it is."

Not sure but isn't Pokemon on handhelds internet-enabled as well? Just add a LAN option to home consoles and let players decide if they want to play online with voice-chat or local with other players. What's so hard about that ... it's not even anymore different to the handhelds then. It's not like you magically meet people when you own a handheld and a Pokemon game.

It is Internet enabled, though there seem to be benefits to having friends that play. I played Pokemon Y recently (my first since the gen 2) and there was this "Friend Safari" feature at the end that sounded quite fun but you needed to know people who also played to use it (I didn't).

I guess what I find confusing is why the handheld version can't continue as the competitive version with the in-person tournaments and the like while also having some home console take on the game. I know it wouldn't dissuade me from playing the true handheld release and lord knows those competitive types and the people already in the community would not suddenly abandon all of that because there's a Pokemon game on the Wii U.

As was said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just waiting for that (possible) next system that was rumored to link the handheld and console in some way... I don't see why we should have to wait for that, though, as it seems a console take on the franchise would not compromise his vision for it.

Johnw1104 said:

It is Internet enabled, though there seem to be benefits to having friends that play. I played Pokemon Y recently (my first since the gen 2) and there was this "Friend Safari" feature at the end that sounded quite fun but you needed to know people who also played to use it (I didn't).

I guess what I find confusing is why the handheld version can't continue as the competitive version with the in-person tournaments and the like while also having some home console take on the game. I know it wouldn't dissuade me from playing the true handheld release and lord knows those competitive types and the people already in the community would not suddenly abandon all of that because there's a Pokemon game on the Wii U.

As was said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just waiting for that (possible) next system that was rumored to link the handheld and console in some way... I don't see why we should have to wait for that, though, as it seems a console take on the franchise would not compromise his vision for it.

Yeah. It's so stupid. They could do it now with such ease. Just limit the amount of Pokemon that can be obtained on the some console game or something. That's literally all they'd need to do. Just make it so that many Pokemon simply can't be obtained without the handheld version, and they'd be able to justify having the handheld. As soon as someone figures out that their favorite Pokemon is unatainable on the home console version, they'll get the handheld version.

Even more, they could make it so that version X is only on handhelds while version Y is only on consoles, meaning that more people would double dip. They could make it like the Zelda Oracle games where transferring save files between both unlocks the "true" ending. It's so simple. There's no good reason not to do it now, but next gen there are no excuses.

spemanig said:

Even more, they could make it so that version X is only on handhelds while version Y is only on consoles, meaning that more people would double dip. They could make it like the Zelda Oracle games where transferring save files between both unlocks the "true" ending. It's so simple. There's no good reason not to do it now, but next gen there are no excuses.

The point of dual versions isn't to get people to double-dip. It's to encourage (or necessitate, if you're interested in completion) social play. Each Oracle game was completely distinct. They were not two slightly changed versions of the same game. It was worth buying the second game for its own merits, the extra content accessed by linking them was bonus material.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I was talking about cheap money, not good graphics or a ground up console version. ;)

They put Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS, and that's one of their largest franchises. Sales didn't seem to suffer much, outside of killing its system selling power.

Smash on the 3DS works because it pretty much looks as good as a console version. Pokemon isn't the same. It doesn't look like a console game, so making the top down mediocrity in HD worldn't work. They'd need to make the 3DS version look as good as what a possible console version would look like, only scaled down, just like with Smash.

I have the answer to Mr. Masuda, to enable people gather with each other with home consoles to play(appart of online only options of corse like cloud saves etc), they're:
Amiibo (like what happens with SSB4, it "saves" or progress);
Pokemon Bank (another way to make you need/want to pay those 5$/€ year)
This way I could easily meet with my friends homes and play with my game or trade without the need of having to get my console... It's easy...