By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should partner up with Capcom to make a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.

daredevil.shark said:
Lol. Nintendo is 125 year old company and has seen WW1, WW2, Cold war etc. Stop worrying about them. They are doing fine. They dont need capcom's collaboration. Smash bros is perfect fighter nintendos consoles. They dont need street fighter.

While it's true i see little point in worrying about Nintendo (at least in the medium term; the long term is always a mystery), using their age as a basis for that is silly. Especially when they've only spent about a quarter of that time as the type of company they are now.

Around the Network

EDIT: Oops! Forgot this thread was old. :x

I rushed in to say no but theres actaully good mix of characters between capcom and Nintendo to balance each other out.

Does anyone want to play a Mario, Kirby, Yoshi in a serious 1vs1 brawler though? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I think a 3D action, powerstone type party experience will better suited to the overall roosters. It would be immediately distinguishable from smash and it could offer more gameplay experiences then what a 2D brawler could (isomentric co-op campaign with a story, mini games galore etc).

Save it for NX though :p

Nintendo characters could work in a Vs Capcom game. But such a game really has no need to exist given Nintendo fans that like fighting games already have Smash Bros for the crossover appeal and those that like Capcom games will probably barely care.

If you are going to use the resources on a brand new game from Capcom, better it is a continuation of one of their own many classic fighting game franchises (outside of Street Fighter due to the issue with SFV being PS4/PC exclusive).

teigaga said:

I rushed in to say no but theres actaully good mix of characters between capcom and Nintendo to balance each other out.

Does anyone want to play a Mario, Kirby, Yoshi in a serious 1vs1 brawler though? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I think a 3D action, powerstone type party experience will better suited to the overall roosters. It would be immediately distinguishable from smash and it could offer more gameplay experiences then what a 2D brawler could (isomentric co-op campaign with a story, mini games galore etc).

"Does anyone want to play a Mario, Kirby, Yoshi in a serious 1vs1 brawler fighing game though?"

...Is that a serious question?

Plenty of people do. Nintendo already has enough party games. We need a fighting game. On the Wii U. If you want a party game, play Smash. Or Mario Kart. Or Mario Party.

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
Nintendo characters could work in a Vs Capcom game. But such a game really has no need to exist given Nintendo fans that like fighting games already have Smash Bros for the crossover appeal and those that like Capcom games will probably barely care.

If you are going to use the resources on a brand new game from Capcom, better it is a continuation of one of their own many classic fighting game franchises (outside of Street Fighter due to the issue with SFV being PS4/PC exclusive).

Smash is not a fighting game. No Nintendo fan who actually likes fighting games would be satisfied with Smash, just like no Nintendo fan who likes racing sims would be satisfied with Mario Kart.

It has nothing to do with Capcom is genetically tied to Nintendo. Almost all of their franchises have appeared on their consoles. There's no shortage of Capcom love.

The Vs. games are a continuation of one of there own many classic fighting game franchises. MvC isn't the franchise, vC is. That's why there's a TvC and a SNKvC. They're all part of the same series.

spemanig said:
teigaga said:

"Does anyone want to play a Mario, Kirby, Yoshi in a serious 1vs1 brawler fighing game though?"

...Is that a serious question?

Plenty of people do. Nintendo already has enough party games. We need a fighting game. On the Wii U. If you want a party game, play Smash. Or Mario Kart. Or Mario Party.

Of course. I've never until this point seen this be expressed. Just because Wii U may be lacking a proper fighting game it doesn't mean mario and rooster should fill the void. 

I'm all for Nintendo expanding and filling different niches but not by forcing characters in titles I don't think are befitting for them, I thinks thats probably the same reason why smash was never a serious fighting game. The same reason why everything Mario is in a casual package, whether its the sports, platforming, action or RPG in genre. Also how do you classify Smash Bros a Brawler? It seems to resemble a casual fighting game to me.

I would rather get a traditional capcom fighting game with maybe a few  befitting Nintendo characters in as bonuses (Soul Caliber on Gamecube). 

Also I think my isometric action game will sell more and has bigger potential for Nintendo :P

spemanig said:
NoirSon said:

Smash is not a fighting game. No Nintendo fan who actually likes fighting games would be satisfied with Smash, just like no Nintendo fan who likes racing sims would be satisfied with Mario Kart.

It has nothing to do with Capcom is genetically tied to Nintendo. Almost all of their franchises have appeared on their consoles. There's no shortage of Capcom love.

The Vs. games are a continuation of one of there own many classic fighting game franchises. MvC isn't the franchise, vC is. That's why there's a TvC and a SNKvC. They're all part of the same series.

I agree but what sort of Nintendo fan that likes fighting games even cares if Mario is turned into a shoto or wants to see how Link or Samus or Kirby converts to a 2.5D fighter? Most fighting game fans like balance but who in the fighting game community is really itching to see those characters in a traditional fighting game?

I mean Pokken Tournament has the clear distinctiosn of being full 3D, featuring only Pokemon characters and developed by the Namco team to be an original game with its own rules such as support characters and resembling battles with trainers. Aside from the inclusion of more Capcom characters and more traditional rules, what would make a Nintendo Vs Capcom game stand out compared to Smash? The more casual players that like Smash for its simplicty won't enjoy it and the more traditional fighting game fan, as shown unfortunately by TvC being exclusive to the Wii and to lesser extent Snk vs Capcom: Chaos compared to the Capcom vs SNK games, won't suddenly give it a shot either unless Capcom makes the best game they have made in nearly decades.

The audience that a Nintendo vs Capcom game would have to target would be more receptive to another franchise that hasn't been seen for a while coming back, like Darkstalkers, Red Earth, Rival Schools, Power Stone or even Cyberbots then another fighting game crossover. Heck, the best probable way for a Nintendo vs/cross Capcom game  that would have the most success would probably be for a multiplayer side scrolling platformer/beat em up instead of a traditional fighter.

But that is just my two cents.

NoirSon said:

I agree but what sort of Nintendo fan that likes fighting games even cares if Mario is turned into a shoto or wants to see how Link or Samus or Kirby converts to a 2.5D fighter? Most fighting game fans like balance but who in the fighting game community is really itching to see those characters in a traditional fighting game?

I mean Pokken Tournament has the clear distinctiosn of being full 3D, featuring only Pokemon characters and developed by the Namco team to be an original game with its own rules such as support characters and resembling battles with trainers. Aside from the inclusion of more Capcom characters and more traditional rules, what would make a Nintendo Vs Capcom game stand out compared to Smash? The more casual players that like Smash for its simplicty won't enjoy it and the more traditional fighting game fan, as shown unfortunately by TvC being exclusive to the Wii and to lesser extent Snk vs Capcom: Chaos compared to the Capcom vs SNK games, won't suddenly give it a shot either unless Capcom makes the best game they have made in nearly decades.

The audience that a Nintendo vs Capcom game would have to target would be more receptive to another franchise that hasn't been seen for a while coming back, like Darkstalkers, Red Earth, Rival Schools, Power Stone or even Cyberbots then another fighting game crossover. Heck, the best probable way for a Nintendo vs/cross Capcom game  that would have the most success would probably be for a multiplayer side scrolling platformer/beat em up instead of a traditional fighter.

But that is just my two cents.

I completely disagree, but this is going nowhere.

I really hope they announce this