By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Selma is not getting snubbed at the academy awards

HEMSTAR said:
The only movie that got snubbed was Interstellar.

The only true snub was Lego Movie, widely considered the best animated movie of the year. Neither Selma or Interstellar was considered shoe-in to win

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
d21lewis said:

I'm black.

But then again, I use that phrase a lot.  Gotta use every tool in the toolbox!

I don't like pulling the  card. I try to find every other probable cause before I even stoop to going that low. 

I was just kidding.  I am pretty black, though.  There are race issues.  I've seen them first hand but I never use that excuse.  I'm no victim.

binary solo said:

Are you a cop?

And from what I read of d21 he was pulling pullus's puller.

No. I just think its absurd to think everything is about racism. All that will lead to is paranoia in life if you get worried about things that more than likely isnt that way. I try to be as reational as possible about things, which is why if I become inquisitive as to why thigs happen I try to run all of the angles and understand the situations. Also another reason why I try to read up as much about psychology and sociology as possible.

d21lewis said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I don't like pulling the  card. I try to find every other probable cause before I even stoop to going that low. 

I was just kidding.  I am pretty black, though.  There are race issues.  I've seen them first hand but I never use that excuse.  I'm no victim.

Makes sense.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lets just hope the Academy doesn't account for sales or else Selma is screwed. Taken 3 beat Selma........

I repeat... Taken 3 beat Selma.

1st one was great, 2nd one was okay, not touching the third one. 

The general population goes to the movies for different reasons than critics. It is fairly difficult to make a movie that is both critically acclaimed and financially successful with happy customers. 

Around the Network
RCTjunkie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lets just hope the Academy doesn't account for sales or else Selma is screwed. Taken 3 beat Selma........

I repeat... Taken 3 beat Selma.

1st one was great, 2nd one was okay, not touching the third one. 

The general population goes to the movies for different reasons than critics. It is fairly difficult to make a movie that is both critically acclaimed and financially successful with happy customers. 

Exactly, which brings to me to my first point. Its not easy to explain why the sales didnt match the critical reception. :)

badgenome said:
binary solo said:

It's almost unheard of for best picture not to win best director, and if it doesn't win best director it always wins one or both best actor awards. Without at least one of those 3 awards a movie has no chance at best picture.

Since Selma isn't up for those individual awards the best picture nomination was merely a pity nomination.

Except for the last two years those awards have all gone to different movies.

I know, totally wierd.

I suppose I have to throw screenplay into the mix too, that way it's 100%. And Selma has not been nominated for Screenplay either. In fact when you look through the A-list category nominations you have to scratch your head as to how Selma managed to get onto the best picture list. It has 2 nominations: 1 for song and the other for best picture. When was the last time a movie was nominated for best picture but was not even nominated for any other award that would actually contribute to making a film the best picture of the year?

I can't be bothered doing the research, but this seems pretty unprecedented. 

Knowing that Selma has no other meaningful nominations the likelihood of it winning is extremely low.

159 reviews, 99% positive, average review score of 8.7/10. It is rare for the collective bunch of reviewers to be that universal in praise.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

S.T.A.G.E. said:
binary solo said:

Are you a cop?

And from what I read of d21 he was pulling pullus's puller.

No. I just think its absurd to think everything is about racism. All that will lead to is paranoia in life if you get worried about things that more than likely isnt that way. I try to be as reational as possible about things, which is why if I become inquisitive as to why thigs happen I try to run all of the angles and understand the situations. Also another reason why I try to read up as much about psychology and sociology as possible.

It's the "probable cause" phrase that made me ask, not the race thing. Though I should have asked if you were a lawyer, or a judge as well. It's as much a lawyery phrase as a cop phrase. I doubt we have a single judge as a member of this forum, so you being a judge is about 0.0000001% probable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

S.T.A.G.E. said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
People just cant accept that maybe its just...not a good movie :O

Yes...the most critically acclaimed (and highest metacritic scored) movie...is definitely a bad movie. Its sitting at a whopping 89 Metacritic score. The problem is no one cares about a biopic right now and it needs more commercialization causig legs, or something is truly wrong on the viewer end.  That movies sales dont match the critic scores at all. Chances are because of its lack of popularity that also cost it awards as well.

I'm sticking with my original comment lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes...the most critically acclaimed (and highest metacritic scored) movie...is definitely a bad movie. Its sitting at a whopping 89 Metacritic score. The problem is no one cares about a biopic right now and it needs more commercialization causig legs, or something is truly wrong on the viewer end.  That movies sales dont match the critic scores at all. Chances are because of its lack of popularity that also cost it awards as well.

Actually Boyhood was the highest rated movie of last year it got so many perfect reviews that it metascore is 100/100.

Thanks for correcting me, but you get my point. At least both of those films were nominated.

Also Selma is going to be okay at the box office it already made a little over $39 million and it only had a production budget of $20 million so it should eventually make at least a small profit at the box office.