By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox One a failure?

Is XB1 a failure?

Yes! 615 40.51%

No! 711 46.84%

Gimme dem numbers! 68 4.48%

I pity Wii U :( 121 7.97%

Total:1,515
wangjingwanjia said:
How much did the PS3 sell? 9? 10? In the back of my head it did sell better than X360 in the first year, but it should be less than X1 if I remember correctly.

Of course I would say that the X1's numbers are far from a failure, the PS4 is just selling a lot more.

Also, how well is the X1 selling in EU and JP compared to X360, does anyone know?

I will answer myself. Had nothing better to do. :)

PS3 sold ~9.5m during the same timeframe as X1 did ~11m, WW.

In EU the comparison is as followed:
X1 ~2.8m
X360 ~1.8m
PS3 ~3.3m (with 3 months less sales due to March release) if adding Jan-March 2008 just out of curtesy the total sales would be ~4.4m for the same amout of months as the others.
PS4 ~8.2m

So the X1 is selling better than X360 in EU but can't match the sales of PS3, and of obviously not the PS4.

In JP the comparion is as followed:
X1 ~0.05m
X360 ~0.3m
PS3 ~1.7m
PS4 ~1m (PS4 this time with 2-3 months less sales due to late release) if adding 3 made-up months of lets say 100-200k their sales would have been 1.2m for the same amout of months as the others.

Looking at Japan both X1 and PS4 is selling worse than their previous consoles.

In NA the comparison is as followed:
X1 ~6.2m
X360 ~4.6m
PS3 ~3.2m
PS4 ~6.8m

Here the X1 clearly beats both PS3 and their own X360 which already had great sales, and are eding just behind the PS4.

RoW should be somthing like this:
X1 ~2m
X360 ~1.3m
PS3 ~1.3m
PS4 ~2.5m

Not much of a change for either one I would say, both X1 and PS doing better though.

My final conclusion from all of this? X1 is indeed not a failure. Except for Japan. And the X1 should easily be able to outpass the X360 I would say, but in terms of number I am not so sure about the PS3. Japan was still a pretty decent market back then, and the PS3 managed to sell 10.2m in JP, X1 would be lucky if it can reach 0.2m. Add those 10m(1m/yr avr.) to the PS3's strongest market EU, and the PS3 could beat the X1 in EU almost 2:1, it's very possible. But the X1 will nonetheless beat the PS3 in NA 2:1, much likely as well. So in the end it leans to that the X1 will indeed outsell the PS3 if the pace and lenght of the generation is the same as the last one. But I don't imagine the difference to be that large.

Going by the numbers and past generation above, the X1 should make 90-95m lifetime sales. Is it possible? I know that many of you believe that this generation will be shorter, so then the numbers would drop down, obviously. But imagining the same lenght as the last generation, it seems possible.

And to go on topic again. No the X1 is not a failure at all. :)

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:

Then what was the point in starting this thread if you knew the answer (e.g. The Xbox One is not a failure)? From what you just said it seems like you only started this thread to watch people argue, and turn on each other. If I know that humans walked on the moon (for arguments sake lets just say I was there) then I'm not going to start a thread saying "Do you think humans walked on the moon?" We know that there are two sides (humans either walked on the moon, or it was staged), so the only reason for me to start that thread, when I know humans walked on the moon, would be to watch people argue.

I don't claim to have the answer. I've said that in some aspects it's a failure but in others it's a success. It's an interesting discussion to be had, as you can read in this thread. And if we're not allowed to discuss things like this, why even visit a forum then? Why make a thread like "Best game of all time?", or "most anticipated game 2015"? You know what YOU liked the best and are looking forward the most, right? So half the topics here would disappear. And your example is a rather bad one, if you don't min me saying so. This topic about XB1 has more layers and nuances than just two sides. It can be an utter failure, a huge success, a disappointment or a moderate success. Sp, tell me, which one is XB1?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

wangjingwanjia said:
wangjingwanjia said:
How much did the PS3 sell? 9? 10? In the back of my head it did sell better than X360 in the first year, but it should be less than X1 if I remember correctly.

Of course I would say that the X1's numbers are far from a failure, the PS4 is just selling a lot more.

Also, how well is the X1 selling in EU and JP compared to X360, does anyone know?

I will answer myself. Had nothing better to do. :)

PS3 sold ~9.5m during the same timeframe as X1 did ~11m, WW.

In EU the comparison is as followed:
X1 ~2.8m
X360 ~1.8m
PS3 ~3.3m (with 3 months less sales due to March release) if adding Jan-March 2008 just out of curtesy the total sales would be ~4.4m for the same amout of months as the others.
PS4 ~8.2m

So the X1 is selling better than X360 in EU but can't match the sales of PS3, and of obviously not the PS4.

In JP the comparion is as followed:
X1 ~0.05m
X360 ~0.3m
PS3 ~1.7m
PS4 ~1m (PS4 this time with 2-3 months less sales due to late release) if adding 3 made-up months of lets say 100-200k their sales would have been 1.2m for the same amout of months as the others.

Looking at Japan both X1 and PS4 is selling worse than their previous consoles.

In NA the comparison is as followed:
X1 ~6.2m
X360 ~4.6m
PS3 ~3.2m
PS4 ~6.8m

Here the X1 clearly beats both PS3 and their own X360 which already had great sales, and are eding just behind the PS4.

RoW should be somthing like this:
X1 ~2m
X360 ~1.3m
PS3 ~1.3m
PS4 ~2.5m

Not much of a change for either one I would say, both X1 and PS doing better though.

My final conclusion from all of this? X1 is indeed not a failure. Except for Japan. And the X1 should easily be able to outpass the X360 I would say, but in terms of number I am not so sure about the PS3. Japan was still a pretty decent market back then, and the PS3 managed to sell 10.2m in JP, X1 would be lucky if it can reach 0.2m. Add those 10m(1m/yr avr.) to the PS3's strongest market EU, and the PS3 could beat the X1 in EU almost 2:1, it's very possible. But the X1 will nonetheless beat the PS3 in NA 2:1, much likely as well. So in the end it leans to that the X1 will indeed outsell the PS3 if the pace and lenght of the generation is the same as the last one. But I don't imagine the difference to be that large.

Going by the numbers and past generation above, the X1 should make 90-95m lifetime sales. Is it possible? I know that many of you believe that this generation will be shorter, so then the numbers would drop down, obviously. But imagining the same lenght as the last generation, it seems possible.

And to go on topic again. No the X1 is not a failure at all. :)

Very nice indeed!

If the X1 is a failure, then the PS3 and X360 were failures for being unable to keep up with the Wii's ridiculous sales.

The X1 and PS4 are selling extremely well; the PS4 is just selling at a ridiculous pace (See aforementioned Wii.).

DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:

Then what was the point in starting this thread if you knew the answer (e.g. The Xbox One is not a failure)? From what you just said it seems like you only started this thread to watch people argue, and turn on each other. If I know that humans walked on the moon (for arguments sake lets just say I was there) then I'm not going to start a thread saying "Do you think humans walked on the moon?" We know that there are two sides (humans either walked on the moon, or it was staged), so the only reason for me to start that thread, when I know humans walked on the moon, would be to watch people argue.

I don't claim to have the answer. I've said that in some aspects it's a failure but in others it's a success. It's an interesting discussion to be had, as you can read in this thread. And if we're not allowed to discuss things like this, why even visit a forum then? Why make a thread like "Best game of all time?", or "most anticipated game 2015"? You know what YOU liked the best and are looking forward the most, right? So half the topics here would disappear. And your example is a rather bad one, if you don't min me saying so. This topic about XB1 has more layers and nuances than just two sides. It can be an utter failure, a huge success, a disappointment or a moderate success. Sp, tell me, which one is XB1?

Those thread examples you gave were all opinion based threads. The success or failure of the Xbox One is not opinion. There are actual facts that prove that it is, or is not, a success/failure. The only way this could have been an opinion-based discussion (really) would have been to ask, "Do you think the Xbox One was a letdown?" Or something similar anyways. Success/failure is based on proof, and facts. The proof and facts show that the Xbox One is not a failure.

@wangjingwanjia: Good research. I could have done it, but lazy. :)

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:

Those thread examples you gave were all opinion based threads. The success or failure of the Xbox One is not opinion. There are actual facts that prove that it is, or is not, a success/failure. The only way this could have been an opinion-based discussion (really) would have been to ask, "Do you think the Xbox One was a letdown?" Or something similar anyways. Success/failure is based on proof, and facts. The proof and facts show that the Xbox One is not a failure.

But what constitutes a success/failure then? Should it not be about the profits the company made? Or do we disregard those and focus solely on the sales?

DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:

But what constitutes a success/failure then? Should it not be about the profits the company made? Or do we disregard those and focus solely on the sales?

Success: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose; the attainment of popularity or profit

Failure: lack of success; the omission of expected or required action

By these definitions the Xbox One is not a failure. A failure is a lack of success. The Xbox One has experienced much success, just not what the PS4 experienced.

Read this article.

not a failure... selling great in USA, good in Europe... failure in Japan, but that is pretty much expected.

IFireflyl said:
DanneSandin said:

Success: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose; the attainment of popularity or profit

By these definitions the Xbox One is not a failure. A failure is a lack of success. The Xbox One has experienced much success, just not what the PS4 experienced.

Read this article.

Well, it would seem as if it has attained popularity, even increasing it. But I don't know how profitable it is. So, why are so many people voting "Yes" in the poll?

DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:
DanneSandin said:

Read this article.

Well, it would seem as if it has attained popularity, even increasing it. But I don't know how profitable it is. So, why are so many people voting "Yes" in the poll?

I actually own a PS4 and Wii U and have no reason for a XOne, but I still voted "no". I can see it has sold prob 10 mil consoles. Better than any console I have made.