By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox One a failure?

Is XB1 a failure?

Yes! 615 40.51%

No! 711 46.84%

Gimme dem numbers! 68 4.48%

I pity Wii U :( 121 7.97%

Total:1,515
DanneSandin said:

Yes, compared to MS's previous consoles the XB1 is their best console ever. But it doesn't exist in a vaccuum. And the NA and UK markets don't exist in vaccuums either. What matters is WW numbers.

But that's what's so interesting with this discussion! On the one hand, it's selling very well compared to almost everything except PS4/2 and Wii. That's fantastic! On the other hand, it's getting beaten by it's most direct competition; PS4 - and by quite a bit. I'd argue it's a success if MS is making money from it.

I love how everyone making it sounds like Sony this small corporation that came out with an innovative console and rose to stardom with the PS4. You do know that Sony has dominated the gaming industry since 1994. They struggle with the PS3 for two years, but during the PS3 launch the new console was being outsold by the PS2 (the most successful console in history). Ever since 2011 Sony has pretty much taken over has the dominant console in the industry. So Sony been dominant force in the industry for 16 of the 20 years it's been in the gaming industry. 

You're obviously mistaken when trying to analyze Microsoft success! You can be successful without being the market leader. That's like saying every American citizen is a failure unless they become the american president. Foolish. 

World wide number are relevant and does give you a good picture on who is the market leader. But market like Japan were Microsoft can't even make a mark and never will shouldn't be use to determine if Xbox one is successful. 

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
DanneSandin said:

Yes, compared to MS's previous consoles the XB1 is their best console ever. But it doesn't exist in a vaccuum. And the NA and UK markets don't exist in vaccuums either. What matters is WW numbers.

But that's what's so interesting with this discussion! On the one hand, it's selling very well compared to almost everything except PS4/2 and Wii. That's fantastic! On the other hand, it's getting beaten by it's most direct competition; PS4 - and by quite a bit. I'd argue it's a success if MS is making money from it.

I love how everyone making it sounds like Sony this small corporation that came out with an innovative console and rose to stardom with the PS4. You do know that Sony has dominated the gaming industry since 1994. They struggle with the PS3 for two years, but during the PS3 launch the new console was being outsold by the PS2 (the most successful console in history). Ever since 2011 Sony has pretty much taken over has the dominant console in the industry. So Sony been dominant force in the industry for 16 of the 20 years it's been in the gaming industry. 

You're obviously mistaken when trying to analyze Microsoft success! You can be successful without being the market leader. That's like saying every American citizen is a failure unless they become the american president. Foolish. 

World wide number are relevant and does give you a good picture on who is the market leader. But market like Japan were Microsoft can't even make a mark and never will shouldn't be use to determine if Xbox one is successful. 

I don't quite understand the entire first paragraph; was it something I said that prompted this reply?

Is my analysis wrong when I said "I'd argue it's a success if MS is making money from it."? And that's a pretty bad comparison. This is companies we're talking about. Their primary goal is to make money from their business' and that usually involves get the biggest slice of the pie. They ALL want to be nr 1.

But is that the markets fault, or MS's for not making a attractive product?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
yvanjean said:
DanneSandin said:

I don't quite understand the entire first paragraph; was it something I said that prompted this reply?

Is my analysis wrong when I said "I'd argue it's a success if MS is making money from it."? And that's a pretty bad comparison. This is companies we're talking about. Their primary goal is to make money from their business' and that usually involves get the biggest slice of the pie. They ALL want to be nr 1.

But is that the markets fault, or MS's for not making a attractive product?

I’m not singling you out, it's just a sentiment you get from comments on the board "PS4 Beasting" PS4 domination"... Sony success and achievement doesn't mean failure for every one else.

Sony has done a great job with the PlayStation, even PS3 was successful in the end. Poster keep comparing Microsoft success based on their failure to match Sony or Nintendo's (Wii) performance.

Kinect 2.0 wasn't the massive breakaway hardware that blew away the competition but it was innovative and brought something new to console (voice command interface). I bet when the price of the Xbox one drop to a reasonable level Kinect 2.0 will be bundle with every Xbox One again. Xbox One did win an Emmy for their TV functionality. Microsoft has achieved some level of success and to call the Xbox One a failure is just inappropriate. Even the WiiU stand to end their life span not really being a failure but failing to meet expectation.

Like I said before look at the two most important market in the world and for Microsoft, Xbox One somehow has manage to keep up to PS4. Regardless if Xbox One ever surpass PS4 in any market around the world. They already achieve so much by selling almost 11 million console before the end of 2014.

as of now im gonna go with failure

its tracking better then the 360 now but will soon fall off and you got to remember that the 360 came of the original xb which only sold like 20M so the 360 first few yrs werent really anything to brag about

the xb1 is the 360s successor a console that was able to fend off the ps3 and one that sold over 80M and had the superior multiplat games so it should of continued that momentum going into this gen so aligning the xb1 sales with the 360 sales and saying that the xb1 is 2M ahead like its a positive thing is silly

the xb1 lost the ability to get the superior multiplats and even though they made the 180 they still lost alot of trust within the gaming world

on top of all that there not getting as much indie support and as of now there still having the problem they did last gen with exclusives, the ps4 like the ps3 get exclusives all yr round while the xb will be getting a few that release towards the end of the yr

Play Me

yes it is.
- xbox + kinect = $500.
- 6 months later = no kinect include on system $400
- 3 months later = sales not are good to win ps4 sales and xbox one new price $350
- 2 months later = sales are good on USA but not worldwide when you see ps4 sales. xbox one bundle + 3 games $350.

- xbox one fisnish the offer $350 and up again to $399, but few days later microsoft see that for that price can´t do nothing with sony and puts again xbox one at $350.

- now ps4 will release the order 1886 and bloodborne on february and march.
they never reduce the price at $350 on europe but know they say "we are listening" and will put that price. really? noooo.. they don´t has nothing to beat ps4 games and puts now these price to try to do something.

if we see look the games will have on 2015 exclusive on ps4 there are more than 100 games we know at this moment.
so... i don´t know how people can buy xbox.

Around the Network

DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:
DanneSandin said:

Obviously I am. Its quite clear that PS3 started to outsell X360 (with aligned launches) from early on. This means it was just a matter of time before PS3 caught up with X360, and I believe that was in... 2011? 2012? Little by little Sony chipped away the lead MS had built up with their head start. Its all there in the charts.

anyways, if you reply again, can you please trim the quote tree? Im on my phone now and cant myself

No they did not. PS3 launched in November of 2006. They sold 394,937 consoles in November. They sold 857,103 consoles in December. The Xbox 360 (which was already ahead by a few million units before November of 2006) sold 849,098 consoles in November. They sold 2,046,655 consoles in December. The 360 had been selling for a year. When the PS3 launched people still didn't want it like they wanted the Xbox 360. Be that price, games, etc the PS3 was nowhere near the 360 in terms of sales for the beginning, even if we don't look at the year of sales the 360 did before the PS3 even came out. The PS3 was not a failure, but it had the same thing happen to it that the Xbox One did... lower starting sales. That doesn't mean failure.

What that graph showed was the ALIGNED launches of PS3 and X360, that means you take both consoles numbers for their respective 1st year of sale and compare them, side by side. That would be 2005 for X360 vs 2006 for PS3, and what we then get is that PS3 had a better first year on the market than X360. Before we clear this up there's no point of making any further discussions. Do you understand where I'm coming from when I'm talking about aligned launches? Yes, X360 sold better in 2006 than PS3, but that's because they had a years head start, but I'm pretty sure that PS3 had a better second year than X360.

This isn't a good point though. Nobody cares about aligned launches. People are making the argument that the Xbox One is a failure because they are down in sales (e,g, they've sold less consoles than the PS4). The PS3 was down in sales. It came back to be number one. Aligned launches mean nothing. The Xbox 360 was ahead of the PS3 for years, and that's the bottom line. Anyone can make a comeback, and that is my point. The Xbox One isn't a failure, and anyone who thinks so is being biased. I hate the Xbox One. I loathe it. I think it's a poorly made multimedia system. I like my PS4. A lot. Especially in comparison to the Xbox One. The Xbox One is not a failure though. There is empirical evidence that shows this.

IFireflyl said:

This isn't a good point though. Nobody cares about aligned launches. People are making the argument that the Xbox One is a failure because they are down in sales (e,g, they've sold less consoles than the PS4). The PS3 was down in sales. It came back to be number one. Aligned launches mean nothing. The Xbox 360 was ahead of the PS3 for years, and that's the bottom line. Anyone can make a comeback, and that is my point. The Xbox One isn't a failure, and anyone who thinks so is being biased. I hate the Xbox One. I loathe it. I think it's a poorly made multimedia system. I like my PS4. A lot. Especially in comparison to the Xbox One. The Xbox One is not a failure though. There is empirical evidence that shows this.

A lot of people care about aligned launches, especially the PS fan base. While the PS3 made a strong comeback, it's not number 1 - it's in second place. I don't understand why we're having this conversation if you think XB1 is NOT a failure; I think I've already stated that I don't think it's purely a failure. Sure, it can't quite compete with PS4 and it's costing MS quite some money (probably), but it's selling very well compared to almost EVERY console released before it. And it's true that it's been little more than ayear since the launch and things can certainly turn around.

But that's what's so interesting with this discussion! On the one hand, it's not doing great compared to the competition, but on the other it's selling really well.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

cheryl said:
yes it is.
- xbox + kinect = $500.
- 6 months later = no kinect include on system $400
- 3 months later = sales not are good to win ps4 sales and xbox one new price $350
- 2 months later = sales are good on USA but not worldwide when you see ps4 sales. xbox one bundle + 3 games $350.

- xbox one fisnish the offer $350 and up again to $399, but few days later microsoft see that for that price can´t do nothing with sony and puts again xbox one at $350.

- now ps4 will release the order 1886 and bloodborne on february and march.
they never reduce the price at $350 on europe but know they say "we are listening" and will put that price. really? noooo.. they don´t has nothing to beat ps4 games and puts now these price to try to do something.

if we see look the games will have on 2015 exclusive on ps4 there are more than 100 games we know at this moment.
so... i don´t know how people can buy xbox.

You forgot that black Friday it dropped to 329 with a 50 gift voucher. 

How much did the PS3 sell? 9? 10? In the back of my head it did sell better than X360 in the first year, but it should be less than X1 if I remember correctly.

Of course I would say that the X1's numbers are far from a failure, the PS4 is just selling a lot more.

Also, how well is the X1 selling in EU and JP compared to X360, does anyone know?

DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:

A lot of people care about aligned launches, especially the PS fan base. While the PS3 made a strong comeback, it's not number 1 - it's in second place. I don't understand why we're having this conversation if you think XB1 is NOT a failure; I think I've already stated that I don't think it's purely a failure. Sure, it can't quite compete with PS4 and it's costing MS quite some money (probably), but it's selling very well compared to almost EVERY console released before it. And it's true that it's been little more than ayear since the launch and things can certainly turn around.

But that's what's so interesting with this discussion! On the one hand, it's not doing great compared to the competition, but on the other it's selling really well.

Then what was the point in starting this thread if you knew the answer (e.g. The Xbox One is not a failure)? From what you just said it seems like you only started this thread to watch people argue, and turn on each other. If I know that humans walked on the moon (for arguments sake lets just say I was there) then I'm not going to start a thread saying "Do you think humans walked on the moon?" We know that there are two sides (humans either walked on the moon, or it was staged), so the only reason for me to start that thread, when I know humans walked on the moon, would be to watch people argue.