By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Ironfall is a competent and fun Gears clone made by three people...

Should we have smaller teams?

Always. 7 12.50%

Sometimes. 33 58.93%

Never. 4 7.14%

More games! 8 14.29%

No, pushes shooters and 2... 3 5.36%

Total:55
Twilord said:
Angelus said:
Ironwhat?

Gears of War clone Nintendo had done on the cheap for the 3DS to show off the second analogue stick when used with the NEW 3DS. Previews say its competent and enjoyable but lacking  in variety; my thinking is you don't need even ten times the amount of people to add a little more enemy diversity, environmental flare, and story. 

Source please.  I've never heard about Nintendo comissioning or backing this project.  This was done by the Cops DS guys who are known for pushing hardware linke Shin'en.

Around the Network
Twilord said:

, h!exxxhh We aren't talking about Gears of War then;

Whether youre talking about Gears or another game, do you imagine Ironfall will have even half the success as Gears has?  Probably not, and there is a reason for that

This can be applied to other big games as well

I cant even believe a game like this is even for the 3ds

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JayWood2010 said:
Twilord said:

, h!exxxhh We aren't talking about Gears of War then;

Whether youre talking about Gears or another game, do you imagine Ironfall will have even half the success as Gears has?  Probably not, and there is a reason for that

This can be applied to other big games as well

Sales are an unrelated issue, I'm not talking about advertisement budgets. Who cares if Galaxy or Gears have ten thousand strong teams as long they have the same strong core gameplay and gorgeous styles? We're not talking about all games having teams of three, but it just exemplifies how much teams could be shrunk in theory.

TheSpindler said:
Twilord said:
Angelus said:
Ironwhat?

Gears of War clone Nintendo had done on the cheap for the 3DS to show off the second analogue stick when used with the NEW 3DS. Previews say its competent and enjoyable but lacking  in variety; my thinking is you don't need even ten times the amount of people to add a little more enemy diversity, environmental flare, and story. 

Source please.  I've never heard about Nintendo comissioning or backing this project.  This was done by the Cops DS guys who are known for pushing hardware linke Shin'en.

I heard people say on Twitter Nintendo had gotten this done after the Direct, I assume that meant a news story had broken somewhere about the nature of how they had requested this (or whatever exactly did happen) but I was too psyched about other things to look it up at the time. You may be correct.

Ka-pi96 said:
badgenome said:
Sure, the industry might be able to release many more games per year, but how many more games per year will consumers support? Are the same people who bought Gears of War going to be interested in a cheap Gears knock off? Probably not. We're already faced with a glut of content as it is. So unless these leaner, meaner, and far more numerous teams are making truly innovative games which scratch an itch that existing games don't, they're better off working on polishing up games that will actually sell instead of making ones destined to be part of a "20 games for just $1!" Humble Bundle within a few months of release.

Very well put!

I am not saying they'd need to make them all indie level, but there is a signifacant gap between the size Nintendo would need for a comparable end product and the overbloated budgets some companies invest in their games that can minimize the opportunity for experimentation despite Nintendo having many products that easily stand alongside those games. Why shouldn't other companies immitate such 'profit maximizing' practices?

For a publisher, hitting a target ROI for a given number of dollars and work hours is the only thing that really matters. Smaller projects/teams can help big publishers from putting all their eggs in one or two basket.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Twilord said:
Ka-pi96 said:
badgenome said:
Sure, the industry might be able to release many more games per year, but how many more games per year will consumers support? Are the same people who bought Gears of War going to be interested in a cheap Gears knock off? Probably not. We're already faced with a glut of content as it is. So unless these leaner, meaner, and far more numerous teams are making truly innovative games which scratch an itch that existing games don't, they're better off working on polishing up games that will actually sell instead of making ones destined to be part of a "20 games for just $1!" Humble Bundle within a few months of release.

Very well put!

I am not saying they'd need to make them all indie level, but there is a signifacant gap between the size Nintendo would need for a comparable end product and the overbloated budgets some companies invest in their games that can minimize the opportunity for experimentation despite Nintendo having many products that easily stand alongside those games. Why shouldn't other companies immitate such 'profit maximizing' practices?

Because they aren't really maximising profit. Take Ubisoft for example. They claim thousands of people work on Assassin's Creed games, but they also had a much smaller team make Child of Light. There is absolutely no doubt that Assassin's Creed made more money than Child of Light though. The big expensive AAA games do make the most money, of course they don't if they flop, but on average they do make a lot more profit.

Besides that, Nintendo are a 1st party developer, they don't need to sell as many copies in order to make a profit on their games.

That is a horrible mis-example. Assassin's Creed has a brand name, mainstream advertising, no 'cartoony' stigma, heavily action oriented gameplay, and a retail release. - If you switched the quality of AC: Unity and Child of Light... well I can't say no-one would complain, a vocal minority of RPG gamers would be pissed. 

Hell being mindful of what they can do and not thinking money solves everything would be GOOD for AC based on that game.

Twilord said:

But its not a bad example.  AAA games are what you would consider high risk high reward.  They cost a lot more so they have to sell more but they make a lot of money when theyre successful. 

Id consider the op to be more of a poor example than anything when youre comparing a game that you dont know if it will be good or bad, sell well or anything,  compared to a game sold 6m and is considered one of the best franchises in games.

I mean, is Ironfall good?  You dont know.  Can a good game be made at cheap costs?  Yes and it happens all the time.  minecraft, Braid, Castle Crashers, Limbo, etc  But these games also can be considered innovative and had great artstyle, not copying another franchise that will ultimately not compare to whom theyre copying

Could gears have been made cheaper?  Yeah and it wouldnt have been the same quality or have sold near as well.  Different games have different goals and the consumer will decide if their goals will be met

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/ironfall-invasion

JayWood2010 said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/ironfall-invasion

Your post hurts me so bad.  I had high hopes for this game.

XanderXT said:
Many. I seriously don't think most AAA games need that much staff if most are just working on DLC anyway.

That makes no sense lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3