By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can You Tell The Difference Between 720p and 1080p?

Tagged games:

Can you tell the difference between 720p and 1080p when you play video games?

Yes, I can. 110 74.83%

No, I cannot. 37 25.17%

Total:147

Yes I can

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
haqqaton said:

The rigth answer to your question is: YES and NO.

To answer it you need to know the distance to the screen and the size of that screen. Like this:

I plugged my PC on my 43" HD Plasma TV and it's now leagues better than before when I was using a 32" LED Full HD. So, from where I play, I can't see the pixels.

what people dot take into account that is that if gaes are created with 1080p in mind then it is designed to take advaage of that and have more detail on screen with proper detail and enemy placements

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Depends on whether one of them is the native resolution of the screen I'm using, plus viewing distance I suppose. On my PC monitor, I can easily tell the difference in most cases due to 1080p being the native resolution. 720p is much more blurry. Looking at a TV from a distance could be a different story though, but I can't say for certain because I don't have a 1080p TV.

This poll would benefit from a 'depends' option, but in the absence of that, I think I'll have to go for 'yes'.

Yes.

in my gaming room i sit about 5 feet from a 46 inch TV and the difference is massively noticeable. according to the TV viewing charts even 4k would be worth it for me. in my living room i sit about 8 feet from a 40 inch TV and the difference is noticeable but not drastic. according to the TV viewing charts i'm right on the line of "worth it".

1080p is very important to me when i game. for tv (since i use the living room mostly) i don't care as much.

Around the Network

The difference is enormous, yes. The same goes for 900p vs. 1080p.

Nope!
Probably my 2005 TV, but...
Nope!

ExplodingBlock said:
Nope!
Probably my 2005 TV, but...
Nope!

TV is probably 720p lol.

Yes. Anything sub-native is very noticeable to me.

For example, on a 1080p screen, the difference between 720p and 900p is minimal, but 900p to 1080p is very obvious.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Yes i can, even 900p vs 1080p i see a difference