By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the first console that you owned?

Leadified said:

Mine was this PSone.

When we moved to Canada, we couldn't really afford anything other than like food and rent. But I had a friend back then who I would hang out with and we would play a lot of video games together. He had a PSone and for me it was amazing because I had no idea that something like a home console even existed, the only other games I played before were on PC. We played games like Aladdin, Toy Story Racing and the demos on the Demo Discs. He got a PS2 that Christmas and he gave his PSone to me. Sadly because we still didn't really have a disposible income, I was stuck with the games on the Demo Discs and two full retail games which were Gran Turismo 2 and The Grinch. So now that I have my own money, I've been going back to play all the games I've missed, like Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear... etc. But in any case, the PSone will always hold a special place in my heart.

Wow, somebody else plaed Toy Story racing. It's one of my favourite games ever. I spent around 14 hours on it. Such a good game to play especially with friends like you used to.

O.P: My first console was a NES.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

Commodore 64 at age 4 in 1982 was the first "console" I had.

First one I bought myself was a Sega Master System. Had the Sega Game Gear as well.. LOVED those consoles.

estebxx said:
lightofhonor said:

I had an NES.

estebxx said:
a thing called the Super Mega 8 bit, im not kidding... years later i tried finding it online and its like it never existed...

This sounds like a Master System clone.

it could have been, wish i knew for sure... although i remember playing a "circus" game... i think it was called circus charlie or something like that.

and i also played a DBZ game that was black and white.

Circus Charlie was for MSX and NES at home, so maybe a clone from them.

What years we talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_Vision has Comic Circus and an old Dragonball game...

Well, the first one I got was the N64.

lightofhonor said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_Vision has Comic Circus and an old Dragonball game...

i was like 6 years old so 1997, The N64 and PS1 were already in the market.

my bet is as you said its a clone of the NES and some other consoles since it had some NES games, (although not the popular ones) and i watched the DBZ game on that wiki, but thats not the one i played... i honestly gave up on searching for it because i assume its some "illegal" game made in maybe china or any other country were they clone products and software.

Around the Network

Mine was the SNES. My parents bough it in a trip to NY and gave it to me when I was just 3.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Commador 64, first console I actually bought myself though was a ps3

I actually already mentioned this about an hour ago in the thread about which game you played first, but I should put it where it belongs. It's the Philips G7000, owned by my mother since the late 70s which I started playing around 1992. In Europe, this was the Atari's biggest competitor, though sales of both were laughably low for today's standards, and even for standards back then when compared to the US market.

It's a great console, a million times better than 'successor' CD-i, though home to many clones of famous Atari games. The European version looks a bit different from the one in the picture, which is the American Odyssey2. Ours had no power button, the red buttons on the controllers were black and being branded differently, had a different logo. I'm kind of proud that my first console isn't one of the standard ones, and I admit I love to talk about it.

The first home-console that was actually bought during my lifetime in my household was the Nintendo 64 in 1997, and the PlayStation in the same year. The N64 remains one of only 2 consoles we've had since launch day (N64 was launched in '97 in Europe), the other being, believe it or not, WiiU. Before N64 I sometimes gamed (well, "gamed") on the NES and SNES of my aunt, which may or may not have been going on since before my mother let me play on her old console, but didn't own them myself until years later.

Including portables, I've had a classic GameBoy, a transparent one, since 1995, maybe 1996.

estebxx said:
lightofhonor said:

i was like 6 years old so 1997, The N64 and PS1 were already in the market.

my bet is as you said its a clone of the NES and some other consoles since it had some NES games, (although not the popular ones) and i watched the DBZ game on that wiki, but thats not the one i played... i honestly gave up on searching for it because i assume its some "illegal" game made in maybe china or any other country were they clone products and software.

Hmm... going off the years and the fact that you live in Colombia, I would say it was something by Micro Genius.

Maybe the game was "Super Mega 8-in-1" or something. Oh well, lost to history...

Leadified said:
Kirin_gaming said:

Mine was the NES which I didn't get until '97, the thing was probaly worth less than $50 at that time. 

I was 5 though, and had no idea what a console was.The NES was the perfect introductory console, it was just magical...

The first console that I got with my own money was the PS2 though, which was the best console I've owned, by far.I feel that when you only own one console you get to appreciate it way more.

Was the NES you got the top loader or was it an original model?