By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Xenoblade sell more on Wii, or 3DS?

?

Wii 75 34.40%

3DS 143 65.60%

Total:218
Materia-Blade said:
Skullwaker said:
I don't really know. It depends on how well Japan receives it. The New 3DS won't have as big of an install base as the regular 3DS, but I think its users will be more active than the Wii's were when the original game launched.

I say maybe.

Japanese? xenoblade had way more sucess in the west.

That's what I'm saying. If Japan actually participates this time, I think it will sell more, because I think it'll do fine in the west regardless. The Japanese may appreciate Xenoblade more as a 3DS game, who knows?

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

Hm, the Wii version was supply constrained and massively pirated (more downloads than sales).

But it's only on the New 3DS, so I don't think that it will sell more.

N3DS.

The new version will outsell the Wii one. Installed base is irrelevant in this case imo.

Xenoblade was released too late in the wii lifecycle. A lot of wii owners had abandoned the system by them.

Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

"not really being a game that appealed to the Wii audience."

what? Of course it appeals to the wii audience.

Look at the top 50 selling Wii games, they consist of family-friendly multiplayer games, fitness/dance/music games, kids games, and Nintendo's big multimillion selling franchises. These are the games that sold Wii, not niche JRPGs.

On the other hand, 3DS has a ton of smaller niche JRPGs, many of which have gone on to sell well, like Bravely Default which was sold a few 100k in each major region causing it to sell over 1 million worldwide.

You are leaving a lot out of those "50 top selling titles" generalization. Anyway, the wii didn't exactly get a ton of rpgs. But regardless, rpgs will always appeal to the nintendo audience.

Nope, go look at the top 50 selling games on Wii, u will see that all of them fit into the categories I just listed.

What are u basing that on? Did N64/GC/Wii have many big selling RPG titles? If I recall, Playstation and handhelds have dominated the RPG genre ever since SNES.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

HARD one!!
Wii - had more hadware sold, but copies were very hard to find.
New 3DS - Low hardware sold ( pass 1 mil just in Japan ) but copies will much easier to find ( with eshop help too )

Soooooooooooo! I would still say the 3DS.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

with it being New 3DS Exclusive..........it would not do as much as it would if it was on 3DS too, but at least it;s possble to be on a handheld this gen.

I would say it will do 1.5m.
:D

Depends on how far they take the New 3DS. I've just preordered mine, so I'm hoping quite a way.
I bet they don't though. I bet we'll receive about 3 exclusives max. Although, if it's that sparse a library, I guess nearly everyone will buy xenoblade. So many the 3DS after all.

I think the Wii U sequel will probably top 1 million.

zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

You are leaving a lot out of those "50 top selling titles" generalization. Anyway, the wii didn't exactly get a ton of rpgs. But regardless, rpgs will always appeal to the nintendo audience.

Nope, go look at the top 50 selling games on Wii, u will see that all of them fit into the categories I just listed.

What are u basing that on? Did N64/GC/Wii have many big selling RPG titles? If I recall, Playstation and handhelds have dominated the RPG genre ever since SNES.

I see many kind of games among wii's 50 best sellers. if you count the million sellers, the variety is really big.

whenever good rpg's are released on nintendo platforms, they sell acordingly. just check the gamecube, wich sold 1.5 million on FF crystal chronicles (a medium budget title with very restricted multiplayer) and had the best selling "tales of" untill recently.

Most nintendo fans are true gamers, with a good chunk enjoying a good rpg and sales always show that. I can't understand who would say otherwise.

Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

I see many kind of games among wii's 50 best sellers. if you count the million sellers, the variety is really big.

whenever good rpg's are released on nintendo platforms, they sell acordingly. just check the gamecube, wich sold 1.5 million on FF crystal chronicles (a medium budget title with very restricted multiplayer) and had the best selling "tales of" untill recently.

Most nintendo fans are true gamers, with a good chunk enjoying a good rpg and sales always show that. I can't understand who would say otherwise.

The top 50 games on Wii all fall under family-friendly multiplayer, kids games, fitness/dance/music titles, and traditional Nintendo ip. There is 1 single RPG in the top 50, 3 in the top 100 and 5 in the top 200, with only 3 selling over 1 million. The Wii audience was not big on RPGs, there is no denying that.

N64 had literally 1 RPG to sell over 1 million, Paper Mario. GC had a few decent selling RPGs, 2 Pokemon, Paper Mario, Symphonia & Crystal Chronicles.

Their have been 9 RPGs to sell over 1 million on Nintendo consoles in the 5th, 6th & 7th generations combined (over 150 million in hardware), 3 of which belong to the Paper Mario series and another 3 in the Pokemon series.

There is no denying these facts, the Wii audience was not very big on RPGs, just like N64/GC weren't either. If u were a big fan of this genre, u either needed a Playstation console or a handheld to get more than just a select few good RPGs.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well for Xeno 3DS to sell it requires lots of New 3DS consoles to be sold.

If the 3DS version isnt so limited as the Wii counterpart then it should eventually outsell it.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda