By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Xenoblade sell more on Wii, or 3DS?

?

Wii 75 34.40%

3DS 143 65.60%

Total:218

The new 3DS has an extremely small user base, it is very unlikely for the game to sell well.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Nuvendil said:
Very hard to say. Yes the Wii had the larger install base, but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances. Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii didn't catch on much in Japan resulting in it being delayed for the West and coming out in 2012 when it looked even more dated than it would have if it had launched on time. Also, it got zero fanfare coming to the west, no advertisement, no promotion, nothing. I didn't even know it existed until well after launch when I saw it on a store shelf. This was also at the end of the Wii's lifespan when the gaming core - who had been on board early on - had written off the Wii as a gimmicky casual device and stopped paying attention. The cherry on top was that it got a limited printing and was sold at one retailer chain.

The New 3DS version doesn't look like it will have to deal with that as it is a launch game for the N3DS, which means it's going to be pushed at least on some level and Xenoblade Chronicles X has put the series in the spotlight more so than it has ever been before.

With all that in mind, it could do more on N3DS, but it's not certain either way.

It came out in the west in 2011. One year after the Japanese launch, which is fairly normal for RPGs that aren't from Square.

it came to EUROPE in 2011, but it wasn't untill 2012 that the whole west got the game.

zorg1000 said:
Could go either way. Wii had a bigger install base but Xenoblade had a limited release along with not really being a game that appealed to the Wii audience.

New 3DS will only have sold a few million by the time Xenoblade releases but it's a game that appeals more to the 3DS fanbase.

"not really being a game that appealed to the Wii audience."

what? Of course it appeals to the wii audience.

I don't think it will, but it could. the game has much more awareness now. It also has some marketing and non limited copies this time + being the first exclusive to the new 3ds makes it stand out.

The game has more awareness but is still a very niche release. I think it's there to get more core Nintendo fans to upgrade to the New 3DS, so I think 500k this year. I own a copy of the Wii Xenoblade and don't know yet if I'll double dip.

In a similar vein I think we'll see Pokemon Z or Pokemon Yellow launch later this year for New 3DS, to get more mainstream consumers to upgrade.

Around the Network

I think it won't sell as much on the New 3DS. Reasons include:

1. It is itself a niche title.
2. The New 3DS will have a very small usee base.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:
Could go either way. Wii had a bigger install base but Xenoblade had a limited release along with not really being a game that appealed to the Wii audience.

New 3DS will only have sold a few million by the time Xenoblade releases but it's a game that appeals more to the 3DS fanbase.

Look at the top 50 selling Wii games, they consist of family-friendly multiplayer games, fitness/dance/music games, kids games, and Nintendo's big multimillion selling franchises. These are the games that sold Wii, not niche JRPGs.

On the other hand, 3DS has a ton of smaller niche JRPGs, many of which have gone on to sell well, like Bravely Default which was sold a few 100k in each major region causing it to sell over 1 million worldwide.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No. It's a port. And a port locked to certain hardware. Makes people easly skip it. I wanted it bundled with X, like Bayonetta to be honest.

zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

Look at the top 50 selling Wii games, they consist of family-friendly multiplayer games, fitness/dance/music games, kids games, and Nintendo's big multimillion selling franchises. These are the games that sold Wii, not niche JRPGs.

On the other hand, 3DS has a ton of smaller niche JRPGs, many of which have gone on to sell well, like Bravely Default which was sold a few 100k in each major region causing it to sell over 1 million worldwide.

You are leaving a lot out of those "50 top selling titles" generalization. Anyway, the wii didn't exactly get a ton of rpgs. But regardless, rpgs will always appeal to the nintendo audience.

I expect the new 3DS to sell at least 10 million lifetime. Remember, Xenoblade was supply constrained in the U.S because it was only sold at Gamestop retailer. Furthermore, this game is one of the reasons why someone would get the New 3ds, and if it sells 10 million, as I predict a lot of those sales will go into this game (unless there are many more New 3ds exclusives released that are attractive.) I also expect that Xenoblade is much more popular than it was upon its release as word of mouth spread. I can definitely see the 3DS version selling 1 million lifetime with digital sales included.