By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phantom Dust is a 30 hr JRPG

fatslob-:O said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Kingdom Hearts is an ARPG, that is made by the Japanese. Demon Souls is also an ARPG and the next Final Fantasy is taking ARPG qualities from Kingdom Hearts to modernize its battle system.

Kingdom hearts is NOT an ARPG, much less an RPG at ALL! ... 

The formal definition of an RPG is where "the player can assume multiple roles with each having differentiated purposes" ...

Just because Kingdom Hearts takes many of the mechanics of an RPG such as statistical progression and differentiated playstyles does not mean it qualifies as an RPG. You always ONLY assume one role in Kingdom Hearts and it's the Keyblade Wielder's ... Therefore by default Kingdom Hearts FAILS to meet the cirteria of an RPG thus the series was never an RPG to begin with ...

Demon's Souls is also NOT an RPG because it's starting classes do NOT provide ANY differentiated purposes in the end ... Because of the fact that there are NO restrictions to what you could build your character throughout the whole game as, the starting classes have no distinguishable purposes ...

I've always assumed that RPGs were characterized by their gameplay tropes rather than their definition, cuz' "assuming multiple roles with each having differentiated purposes" doesn't sound interesting enough to justify a genre, well, nothing sounds interesting enough to justify genre by itself, but whatever. So, in your opinion what genre does KH and DS fall in? I'm curious. I'll still call them ARPGs cuz' definitions are subjective n' shit.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network
thatguymarco said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Huh, interesting. Although, it doesn't look like a jrpg from a graphical standpoint imo

It's not kawaii enough.

^ This

Where is the cute girl with the big eyes and blonde/pink hair...

Kirin_gaming said:
thatguymarco said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Huh, interesting. Although, it doesn't look like a jrpg from a graphical standpoint imo

It's not kawaii enough.

^ This

Where is the cute girl with the big eyes and blonde/pink hair...

Exactly. Although, you missed the obligatory bimbo with a chest with each boob being as big as her head, the spiky hair dude, the shy flat-chested girl, and the fact that every single human being looks like an overgrown baby.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:

I've always assumed that RPGs were characterized by their gameplay tropes rather than their definition, cuz' "assuming multiple roles with each having differentiated purposes" doesn't sound interesting enough to justify a genre, well, nothing sounds interesting enough to justify genre by itself, but whatever. So, in your opinion what genre does KH and DS fall in? I'm curious. I'll still call them ARPGs cuz' definitions are subjective n' shit.

@Bold I was just like that until the few and I put some effort to find the actual definition ... 

I know the definition may not sound interesting but in hindsight when you start thinking about it there's a lot of intuition behind that statement ...

The very first RPG, D&D was defined by it's "character class" such as mage, warrior, etc. There were other mechanics such as race or moral alignment but anyone would reckon that those things don't define an RPG otherwise there would be no difference between D&D or Bioshock, Far Cry 2, you name it with another FPS that has a moral system or specific playable races. 

This made tons of sense seeing as how each of those roles had specific purposes in battle or elsewhere. A mage specializing in magic and the warrior specializing in melee combat were the very sound things about RPGs having "multiple roles with each having specific purposes". A mage been able to do specific to everything a warrior can or a warrior been able to cast every spell a mage could had meant that having multiple roles makes no difference therefore you end up having one role in the end which means that the "character class" in that said game is a side mechanic, not the main mechanic which defines an RPG. 

A character class without limits or restrictions and not been able to assume different roles only means that the said game CAN'T role-play ...

So in my backed up opinion, games like Kingdom Hearts or Demon's souls fall under action games or as I would like to say pseudo RPGs ...