By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Questions for soccer fans.

StarOcean said:
I dont mean to brag, but I'm probably the biggest soccer fan on VGChartz. I have seen ads for the world cup, played 2 different FIFA games on my friends X1, and played soccer 3 times in 6th grade. I pretty much know everything you could ever wanna know. Anyway, getting to your questions:

Yes, the roster is good. Did you see the Patrick Mullins guy in that roster pic? He has a fap-tabulous smile. And he's 22, which by the way, is an even number -which is always good.

David Beckham always knows what he's talking about.

And yes, Manchester will abuse NYC, but that's fine because it is well known that NYC is very masochist and enjoys it.

THE FACT you call it Soccer is bad enough, Yuck man .

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Skidmore said:
One of The most important things for a Club is to have a junior team, base teams, thats is the cheapest and most effective way of succeeding in football. Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi all come from that. Americans teams does not put proper money on that comparing with Brazilian and Spanish clubs. Hiring star can be costly and they might not end up play well with others. That's why some Asian teams are not successful, even though they have star power.

The American leagues are set up completely differently though. They don't invest in junior teams because it would be a huge waste of money. They get their young players through a draft, so why bother paying money developing young players when other teams will get them instead of you?

There are a lot of benefits in this, like identification of the club, players that are used to play with each other for a longer time, and overtraining to be given a chance. 

They don't have interest enough in Football in the country to spent a lot of money in expensive young players like Neymar, the majority of big names are 30 years far from the prime. 

To set up junior teams could increase the interest in the  sport in the young generation, which could make it more popular there.

P.S: Another point Ka-pi, is that European clubs pay a buckloads of money in those players, which could bring a lot of money for these clubs, and improve even more their conditions.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Ka-pi96 said:
Munkeh111 said:

As far as I know you are allowed 3 salary cap exceptions to allow foreign players or huge local players (Donovan)

But with $3m, you're not going to get much quality, are you sure that's right? Most of the players on Chelsea or Man City's roster earn that in themselves. Their overall budgets are well over $100m

In terms of age, peak is 25-30 in general. But their decline all depend on how important their physical skills are to them. Lampard for example has lasted extraordinary well, but isn't going to be as good as he has been for Chelsea and won't quite have the stamina

They are indeed. Man Utd have the highest wage bill in English football paying £214.8m or $324.22m.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9642781/premier-league-chelseas-wage-bill-rises-to-1631905m-a-year-but-is-still-lower-than-manchester-clubs

I would say Man U need to get their wage bill under control, but their commercial deals and huge stadium mean they just have such a huge amount of money they could spend more. They could actually afford Messi

Munkeh111 said:
outlawauron said:

The MLS salary cap is only at $3 million. Think about that!

As far as I know you are allowed 3 salary cap exceptions to allow foreign players or huge local players (Donovan)

But with $3m, you're not going to get much quality, are you sure that's right? Most of the players on Chelsea or Man City's roster earn that in themselves. Their overall budgets are well over $100m

In terms of age, peak is 25-30 in general. But their decline all depend on how important their physical skills are to them. Lampard for example has lasted extraordinary well, but isn't going to be as good as he has been for Chelsea and won't quite have the stamina

Correct. If a player's salary exceeds 350,000/year, then they qualify for a Designated Player slot. Each team can have 3 DP slots. These are usually used for top Hispanic players, older elite European players, or good USMNT players (Dempsey, Donavan, Bradley, Jones, etc.)

Salary cap is expected to nearly double as it should. MLS needs to be able to keep their younger players and be able to entice young players to skip college.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Munkeh111 said:
outlawauron said:

The MLS salary cap is only at $3 million. Think about that!

Correct. If a player's salary exceeds 350,000/year, then they qualify for a Designated Player slot. Each team can have 3 DP slots. These are usually used for top Hispanic players, older elite European players, or good USMNT players (Dempsey, Donavan, Bradley, Jones, etc.)

Salary cap is expected to nearly double as it should. MLS needs to be able to keep their younger players and be able to entice young players to skip college.

For $350,000 a year, you're not going to be able to keep good young players. If you're a good young player, you can earn $1m at most decent teams if you go across to Europe. I guess doubling it is a good start

You just need a steadier stream of good talent coming through and not going off to play other sports

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
outlawauron said:

For $350,000 a year, you're not going to be able to keep good young players. If you're a good young player, you can earn $1m at most decent teams if you go across to Europe. I guess doubling it is a good start

You just need a steadier stream of good talent coming through and not going off to play other sports

True, in modern football $350.000 a year is an absolute joke of a salary. Even at a top Dutch team you'll be able to make triple that and you will obviously have a lot of exposure to the bigger leagues. Even benchwarmers in England probably make easy 4x that. Doubling it would be a good start, but you need more otherwise European clubs will just buy away any notable American talent.

Munkeh111 said:
outlawauron said:

Exporting younger players to better leagues isn't inherently bad, but most of the teams didn't have a youth academy until a few years ago. The oldest youth players are ~24. It's going slowly, but MLS is making necessary moves to continue to grow and expand.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Go montreal impact! Cant wait for the mls season to begin

outlawauron said:
Munkeh111 said:
outlawauron said:

Exporting younger players to better leagues isn't inherently bad, but most of the teams didn't have a youth academy until a few years ago. The oldest youth players are ~24. It's going slowly, but MLS is making necessary moves to continue to grow and expand.

They do seem to be going the right direction which is good. You just hope they keep up the good work for some time, because it is going to take a while

I'm giggling at the 'It isn't called Soccer' comments.