By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Questions for soccer fans.

BraveNewWorld said:
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

So after reading this thread and doing some of my own research I have a couple of observations...

A lot of really awesome teams names (Sounders, Timbers, Dynamo) in MLS, with a lot of uninspired names (Toronto FC, NYC FC, FC Dallas) as well.

The Pacific Northwest loves its soccer; Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland all seem to have great fan support. Maybe MLS should consider teams in Edmonton and Boise?

MLS will soon have the most number of teams of all the top leagues around the world.

Nop,

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/01/uk-soccer-argentina-championship-format-idUKKBN0DH24T20140501

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

i just came here to see the fight between people calling it soccer or football. And to add to the soccer side most of us in ireland call it soccer. Like the aussies we have our own football.

Ka-pi96 said:
Vincoletto said:
Augen said:

The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er"abbreviation of the word "association"

Moving on now, I think we're a few years away from really pushing in international competitions.  Mexican sides still rule in NA, and until that changes doubt US or Canadian sides will be in Libertadores. As a side not excited about Copa America in US as should be a great tournament.

Its all about the money. And I really admire the capacity americans have of turning things into very lucrative business. Football WILL be huge in USA. They know how to do things and how to make money with it. With money comes good players, a good League and soon they will realize that its better to play against big traditional teams. They will 1) be invited to participate in CHampions League or 2) join with CONMEBOL and create Libertadores Cup 2.0. The same goes for National Cups.

Im hoping for the second option

You mean the European Champions Leauge? That would never happen. The distance to travel alone would stop that. Clubs from western Europe don't like having to travel to countries like Russia as is, having to go to the US (especially west coast) would be way too far.

Yep, European Champions League. As I said, its all about the money. Imagine a situation where MLS is extreme rich, with a lot of great players... you think people wouldnt find a way of making them play agains the best European Teams? I know the teams don't like to travel, but cmon, a trip from London to NY is not that far. And again, its all about the money.

But I really hope that this could be used to improve copa Libertadores instead. Unify libertadores and the COncacaf tournament (dont know the name) in just one tournament, with the best 4 teams from Mexico and the Best 4 from USA, and excluding some really bad teams from Bolivia, Equador, etc.

Augen said:
KyleeStrutt said:
Aren't american teams invited to libertadores?

I believe a few of them are going to play as invited, just like Mexico's teams.

No.  No MLS side has played in Libertadores.

Only instance I remember invitation was DC United (my club) being invited to Copa Sudamericana years ago.  We also played Sao Paulo way back in 98 in the Interamerican Cup (basically a Super Cup type one off).

It needs to stop from being an invitation and becomes official. We could have a "pre-libertadores" with a lot of teams from central america and south america, just like happen in Champions League. Then a unified tournament so the teams form Mexico and USA could give the proper value to the tournament. If they still have their own north-central tounrament then they will never give the proper value to the "big-improved libertadores" 

Kerotan said:
i just came here to see the fight between people calling it soccer or football. And to add to the soccer side most of us in ireland call it soccer. Like the aussies we have our own football.

I got interupted by an Aussie on the train once, I said "Austrailia say football they mean aussie rules.", the austrialian girl interupted me and corrected me saying, they use the term football as a generic term. It can mean Aussie Rules, Association, Rugby League and Rugby Union. Any sport designated a 'football' type (American football is a football type too). Probably very confusing but I presume they know what people are talking about most the time. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

So after reading this thread and doing some of my own research I have a couple of observations...

A lot of really awesome teams names (Sounders, Timbers, Dynamo) in MLS, with a lot of uninspired names (Toronto FC, NYC FC, FC Dallas) as well.

The Pacific Northwest loves its soccer; Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland all seem to have great fan support. Maybe MLS should consider teams in Edmonton and Boise?

MLS will soon have the most number of teams of all the top leagues around the world.

Names of clubs fall generally into two categories.

1. American sporting name conventions (City + Nickname)

2. International sporting name conventions (City, Nicknames are organic and develop as unofficial monikers)

Tastes vary between the two, personally I have no concerns what teams are called beside my own and happy with DC United.

The Pacific Northwest does indeed love the sport, but they also have benefitted from the work that went into the first decade or so in the league. 1996 and 2006 were very different landscapes and lots of hard lessons were learned.  I think many expansion era sides say mis steps and have marketed themselves far better than original ones did for the most part.

In terms of other cities MLS could expand into, there are four general criteria that are desirable.

1. Wealthy Owner
2. Stadium, or stadium plan
3. Fan interest
4. Media market

As it stands now Sacramento, San Antonio, Minneapolis, Las Vegas and Indianapolis all candidate cities going through vetting processes.  Even Miami which was tentatively awarded a club for 2017 could lose that if the stadium plans continue to struggle.  The idea is stability rather than chasing a fad.  I have heard nothing about Boise or Edmonton, so would put them at 0% chance of happening.

Personally I think 24 sides is a good goal to hold for a while and set up roots in cities, but I get the temptation of all the funds flowing in from all the recent expansion. As long as it is done smart then league should be fine.