By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Questions for soccer fans.

As the resident MLS nut and DC United supporter be happy to help clear up any details about the league for anyone.

Question 1: Is NYCFC any good?

Well, they have not kicked a ball yet, but they have a great manager in Kreis who can guide them if they are patient. My guess is it will be a rocky start as everyone integrates into the squad. Villa gives them attacking option, but depth is a concern. Personally I'm not sure Lampard coming in mid season will be the boost most hope for. If I had to predict now they will finish mid to lower table, but set up well for 2016.

Question 2: What age do players breakdown?

There is no right answer to this, but a general rule is at 30 players start to "lose a step" this means physically it starts to be harder to keep up speed wise. This can be balanced though if a player has tremendous skill. For example Tierry Henry was not running by anyone, but his service to forwards was still amazing as he aged. As a side not ethis is why goal keepers peak later as they don't run as much and more skill and experienced based.

Question 3: Does the salary cap need to go?

There is a reason MLS established a salary cap in 1996, the failed NASL of the past spent like crazy and went bankrupt. MLS is about slow steady growth via infrastructure with stadiums and academies being built nearly every year. The purse strings have loosened with the designated player rule allowing sides to spend big ona few players.

Why is this come up again in 2015? Because this year is the CBA negotiation where things like salary caps get adjusted. Until that is settle we really don't know how much money clubs have to work with in 2015 and beyond. Everything points to an increase, matter of how much.

Question 3: Will City group screw NYCFC?

I think based on simple economics easy to see why an English club right now get favoritism over US/Canada based one. It is a concern that being a club you could play second fiddle to another, as the Lampard debacle showed us. I think this is a time will tell case. I mean, our owner at DC United bought Inter Milan and did not change way club was run at all. Comes down to the owners.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Skidmore said:
One of The most important things for a Club is to have a junior team, base teams, thats is the cheapest and most effective way of succeeding in football. Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi all come from that. Americans teams does not put proper money on that comparing with Brazilian and Spanish clubs. Hiring star can be costly and they might not end up play well with others. That's why some Asian teams are not successful, even though they have star power.

The American leagues are set up completely differently though. They don't invest in junior teams because it would be a huge waste of money. They get their young players through a draft, so why bother paying money developing young players when other teams will get them instead of you?

While true a decade ago, most clubs now have academies they invest in.  The reason is simple, you develop a player and have all rights to them avoiding the random aspects of a draft.

For example, my club DC United developed Andy Najar through the academy (was sold to Anderlecht) and now has Bill Hamid who looks to be big contender for national team goal keeper (likely will be sold to European club in next year).  Hopeful Colin Martin is our next promosing academy product.

So, here we have a hybrid system of developing talent and drafting talent that falls outside of those channels.  Just now we are seeing kids who spent years in academies finally coming through the system.  These things take time, but the dividends will show in coming years.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

TBH MLS is an alright league and the NYC FC have a lot of potential. David Villa is a former World Cup champion with Spain in 2010... and if they follow his veteran leadership they could go places...

Soccer players technically bring to bring down around 31+ (But they are many freaks of nature: Zinedine Zidane, Zlatan Ibrahimović, Miroslav Klose, Cuauhtémoc Blanco is playing in his 40s in Mexico, Francesco Totti is playing in Italy at 38, and Rivaldo just retired at 41).

Blasting Salary caps is never good in any sport... Especially Futbol (Barcelona and Real Madrid are clear cut examples of this) they make the playing field unfair for other teams, unless your the one pointing the gun instead of being in front of it's barrel.

That being said I PERSONALLY AM NOT A BIG FAN of the MLS even though I am from NY myself... I rather watch the European Leagues any day of the WEEK (Mainly the Spanish League and the English Leagues). Their players are FAR more better to watch than MLS (not even an opinion... ITS A FACT).

BUT I still have many friends that can't wait to see the NYCFC play. They are excited what kind of Football they could bring.

As for Manchester City screwing over NYCFB? Well Yes and No. The COULD USE the team by bringing up and coming talent through the states first and having them sign later to Manchester City. But they have to be good enough to play in Europe for it's a different animal all together.

While true, I should explain why people such as myself follow and love MLS.

It's our league and we follow our club.  I have no grand illusions that DC United is close to a Manchester United or Bayern Munchen, but it is mine.  It is about standing and jumping and singing for our club.  If you're concerned with the highest level, watch the UEFA Champion's League and nothing else.  If you love the sport and seeing local club, happy to have anyone along, even if as a DC fan obligated to hope anything NY related crashes and burns.

outlawauron said:

Correct. If a player's salary exceeds 350,000/year, then they qualify for a Designated Player slot. Each team can have 3 DP slots. These are usually used for top Hispanic players, older elite European players, or good USMNT players (Dempsey, Donavan, Bradley, Jones, etc.)

Salary cap is expected to nearly double as it should. MLS needs to be able to keep their younger players and be able to entice young players to skip college.

Don't forget can use allocation funds to buy down contracts as well, so the 3 million number is a soft cap of sorts.

Barozi said:

also a great actor :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW0IPrv1Ro

lol Oh yeah, I remember that xD But the red card was well deserved. It was an agression after all.
Still, there are players in another league of acting.. look at this guy!

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Around the Network

It cracks me out when I hear Soccer. Why? Cant you guys use proper name? Like, Football. Grrrr.

cycycychris said:
lol... People really get sensitive when people pronounce it as Soccer. But, I think all your questions have been answered in these past comments. I'll just say I've never really gotten into the European Soccer leagues. I don't know why, I just prefer the MLS. Since DC United is my Favorite team. I do watch most of the DC United games that come on TV and a lot of the other games.

European? The whole world recognizes that sport as football. Except USA.

Ka-pi96 said:

I think he was just referring to the European leagues, as someone early mentioned they prefer them, rather than saying anything about the word.

Oh and you should add except Canada and Australia as well...

As I posted my head get "cracked" after seeing the title. Lol. Shame on you Canada and Australia.

daredevil.shark said:
cycycychris said:
lol... People really get sensitive when people pronounce it as Soccer. But, I think all your questions have been answered in these past comments. I'll just say I've never really gotten into the European Soccer leagues. I don't know why, I just prefer the MLS. Since DC United is my Favorite team. I do watch most of the DC United games that come on TV and a lot of the other games.

European? The whole world recognizes that sport as football. Except USA.

Does this discussion need to happen every time?  "Soccer" is derived from "Association Football" and it was done in England, not the US.  Hence news articles in far off places like Yorkshire ran this in 1958.

In the US the sport was actually called "Football" for decades under the USFF, until the 60s when it changed to USSF and "Soccer" given the popularity and confusion with "American Football".

You see this trend in other countries that have versions of "Football" such as Ireland, Australia and Canada.  I mean, no one give Italy grief for calling it "Calcio" of all things.

I use both terms depending on who I am talking to in order to avoid confusion.  Mostly football, but I know will just confuse people not familiar and call it soccer for them.  To me the important part is loving this amazing sport,

Augen said:

Does this discussion need to happen every time?  "Soccer" is derived from "Association Football" and it was done in England, not the US.  Hence news articles in far off places like Yorkshire ran this in 1958.

In the US the sport was actually called "Football" for decades under the USFF, until the 60s when it changed to USSF and "Soccer" given the popularity and confusion with "American Football".

You see this trend in other countries that have versions of "Football" such as Ireland, Australia and Canada.  I mean, no one give Italy grief for calling it "Calcio" of all things.

I use both terms depending on who I am talking to in order to avoid confusion.  Mostly football, but I know will just confuse people not familiar and call it soccer for them.  To me the important part is loving this amazing sport,

Not to mention there are several countries other than the US that also use Soccer.

It's such a dumb thing to argue over.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.