By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did Sony turn the PS3 around but Nintendo couldn't do the same with Wii U?

Can Nintendo turn the Wii U around like Sony did with PS3?

Of course. Nintendo will pull off a miracle. 118 25.21%

lol lol lol lol lol no. 259 55.34%

Yo Mama 90 19.23%

Total:467

They're making a profit... Which is the major goal of business right? I guess people would rather look at number of consoles sold to indicate success, but at the end of the day, the PS3 was a financial failure for Sony... And is the Xbox brand doesn't seem to have the word profit in it's dictionary.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
They didn't want to.

Really though. Sony took a big financial hit to right the PS3 ship. I'm not sure they made that money back during the PS3 era, although you could argue it help set them up for success with the PS4.

Nintendo is a fiscally conservative company, and they're pretty smart. They were able to make money during the Gamecube era, and they're back to profit now. If it's a choice between growing install base and making profit, they'll generally take the profit.

This. Also, i think the developing of the PS3 was really expensive. When Sony saw its initial sales, freaked out and spent tons of money to recover the iniciative, creating a new money hole. Even with all of the PS4 profit, I don't know if they will get back all that money.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Sony's big problem with PS3 was the price of the console. Sony fixed it by lowering the cost after a respectable amount of time. Even though they were already losing money on the system.

Now mind you the move saved the ps3 but it nearly killed Sony in gaming. They were even considering shutting down all first party game development to save costs. I mean it cost Sony billions. Its doubtful that they ever made back the money they lost on PS3. Nintendo wouldn't blow up most of their company to save Wii U when its profitable, the games are selling, and its not hurting them. Nintendo is smart in that they would rather cut their losses, focus on profitability and survive until next gen when they can fix their mistakes.

This should show it quite well

Sony pretty much threw away their money during the PS3 era. Microsoft is even more interesting.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

It all comes down to that Sony cares more.

Around the Network
RealGamingExpert said:

Sony pretty much threw away their money during the PS3 era. Microsoft is even more interesting.

yeah but sony and ms have bigger revenue in total. If i make 100$ revenue and113$ loses every year while you make 10$ revnue and 8$ loses who has more flexebility here?

RealGamingExpert said:

- snip -

Those are billions, right?

And I was always under the impression that M$ has never made money with Xbox!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

ps3 at leafy got third party games. even if they were inferior.

PS3 was expensive for things that ultimately made it better and showed their value as the generation went on. Eg, now even ms is using a bluray drive. it was also a very powerful albeit complicated system. the WiiU is the weakest console this gen for something that people don't really care about. and even Nintendo doesn't seem to know what to do with.

As the gen went on, debs got a better handle for developing on PS4. its two biggest problems were its prove and difficulty to develop for. don't could easily solve one and in time the second one solved itself. Nintendo can't software update price or Dev support.

Sony made changes. got rid of ken, actually tried to compete ( psn vs xbl), slashed the price, were apologetic... etc. Nintendo is stubborn to a fault. even when their ship is sinking.

what Nintendo needs to do is simple. though this gen is already lost. Real question is, will they do it?

Sony has other divisions that they can depend on for cash (well...not really actually, but they think so). Nintendo doesn't, so they will take the hit of a smaller install base in order to maintain profit.

"Lost the battle, win the war." is Nintendo's philosophy right now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Because PS is a bigger brand.
There was no brand confusion too. (Wii =/= Wii 2 = Wii stupid U.)
And finally, Sony knows how to hype everything up incredibly well, and has always been seen as "cool" in the mainstream.

Fifa, AC and COD always gives millions of new hardware buys each year for XB/PS, and never Nintendo because it's not the "cool" place in society outside Japan and so most of the core market not buy there.