By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What lessons did Nintendo learn this gen you think?

-If your strategy is a lower-powered, lower-cost console, don't be the first mover in the gen. Your competitors will crush you with the power difference.
-It's entirely up to them to build the userbase. CoD, sports games, and ports can't do it for them.
-Draw clearer distinctions between next-gen sequels to last-gen games
-Make controller options abundantly clear
-Communicate more broadly with 3rd parties during the hardware development cycle
-Secure more multi-plats of major releases short and long-term. WiiU missed out on Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock Infinite, and Far Cry 3. Based on the relationship Nintendo had with their business partners - they should have been able to secure releases for these titles that were in WiiU's launch window. Things like Destiny and GTAV were confirmed not coming to WiiU way too early

To be learned: Don't take western 3rd party business partners for granted. Currently Nintendo only farms it IP out to other Japanese developers or internal studios.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:
zorg1000 said:

I think if they go with the unified concept, the handheld will be somewhere between Vita & Wii U in terms of power, being able to handle Wii U level visuals on a small screen and lower resolution, similar to the way 3DS is between PSP & Wii. The console will be a slight upgrade from Wii U, similar to the way Wii was a slight upgrade from GC.

These devices will share the same architecture, operating system and online infrastructure so that all games can be played on either device, just at different resolutions/graphics settings.

While I don't think Nintendo cares too much about gfx fidelity, I do think they'll want to improve on what their devs can apply in terms of visual effects.  For optimizing Nintendo's trademark "toon" visuals, they might want their home con. games to run 1080/60 with AA (won't nec. apply for Metroid, or realistic Zelda, etc).  

So I'm not exactly sure how much power Nintendo would need to achieve a visual leap that would be to their satisfaction, but I imagine somewhere around 800 gflops to 1 tflop or shy of XB1.  If the home con. is negligibly stronger than HH, it runs the risk of being purely optional.  Just like that graphic I posted w/Nintendo touting the visual difference from 3DS vs Wii U, I do think Nintendo will find the right balance to make the home ver. a lucrative purchase.  By combining architecture and (assuming) game library, to regain that lost stream of game revenue Nintendo will want/nudge their consumers to "double dip" on HW, so gamers can play their games everywhere, on the go or the traditional large screen presentation.

Nintendo was able to make games that were a decent leap over Gamecube on the Wii. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash Bros were a nice leap over their Gamecube counterparts so a Nintendo console with let's say 4gb of RAM and more modern CPU/GPU should be able to make games that are a decent boost over Wii U games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Nintendo was able to make games that were a decent leap over Gamecube on the Wii. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash Bros were a nice leap over their Gamecube counterparts so a Nintendo console with let's say 4gb of RAM and more modern CPU/GPU should be able to make games that are a decent boost over Wii U games.

It all depends on what Nintendo's goals are, if its a slight improvement definitely, but if they have certain benchmarks they want to hit, that is my big question.

I'm probably guessing

250 GFLOPS - (Handheld), lets call the main processor the "Samus" Processor (ARM CPU + custom AMD GPU System on Chip) for the sake of this example. 2GB main RAM. Runs games either in 960x540 or 1280x720, depending on how taxing a game is.

750 GFLOPS - (Home version), has (x3) Samus Processors + 4GB RAM. Runs most/all games in 1280x1080 resolution.

If they share RAM + processors Nintendo also has the benefit of it say the console version isn't selling so well, they're not stuck with dead inventory. They could quickly repurpose those Samus processors and RAM and put them into handhelds instead. So I think Nintendo will really like that flexibility.

I think Nintendo is getting out of touch with their fanbase. Then again, people on Youtube are signing up for the Nintendo Creator's Program even though they're not allowed to upload videos of Smashbros and stuff.

Nintendo learned something all right, I just don't know what it is.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I'm probably guessing

250 GFLOPS - (Handheld), lets call the main processor the "Samus" Processor (ARM CPU + custom AMD GPU System on Chip) for the sake of this example. 2GB main RAM. Runs games either in 960x540 or 1280x720, depending on how taxing a game is.

750 GFLOPS - (Home version), has (x3) Samus Processors + 4GB RAM. Runs most/all games in 1280x1080 resolution.

If they share RAM + processors Nintendo also has the benefit of it say the console version isn't selling so well, they're not stuck with dead inventory. They could quickly repurpose those Samus processors and RAM and put them into handhelds instead. So I think Nintendo will really like that flexibility.

That's a very interesting take.  If Nintendo bets on themselves,  they can get a nice contract on the chipsets for a friendly price.  

If its 250 gflops I'd love , if possible,  they included 4 in the home version.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:
I'm probably guessing

That's a very interesting take.  If Nintendo bets on themselves,  they can get a nice contract on the chipsets for a friendly price.  

If its 250 gflops I'd love , if possible,  they included 4 in the home version.

Yeah that's the other obvious benefit of the Fusion concept too, economies of scale,

Lets say they want to ship 15 million portable versions and a more modest 4 million home versions in one fiscal year ... that comes out to

15 (x1 Samus processor) + 4 (x3 Samus processors) = 27 million Samus processors

I'd bet they'd get a much nicer deal from their chip providers ordering in such high volume like that. Sure beats ordering 3-4 million Power PC processors and Wii U GPUs like they are right now per year. Obviously the way things are now they probably have little to no leveraging power in getting a better price on their Wii U components.  

1.) Don't be selfish. Design a console that fits everyone's needs spec wise.

2.) No more Wii branded consoles.

3.) No more dumbass controllers that are as cool as hell but nobody wants to use it, not even us [Nintendo].

deskpro2k3 said:

I think Nintendo is getting out of touch with their fanbase. Then again, people on Youtube are signing up for the Nintendo Creator's Program even though they're not allowed to upload videos of Smashbros and stuff.

Nintendo learned something all right, I just don't know what it is.

It's not the core Nintendo fanbase that Nintendo is losing. As long as they continue to make high quality entries of 2D/3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Pikmin, Tomodachi, Fire Emblem, etc and make a handful of new ip each gen like Codename STEAM and Splatoon, core Nintendo fans aren't leaving.

The big mistake they made this gen was releasing hardware $100 more than they have in previous generations along with selling their devices at a loss, software droughts and mediocre advertising are big factors as well.

From April 1996-Mar 2001, Nintendo shipped about 90-95 million units of Gameboy+Nintendo 64 and from April 2001-March 2006 Nintendo shipped about the same amount for Gameboy Advance+Gamecube and they were very profitable during these times. So far this generation Nintendo has shipped about 60 million for 3DS+Wii U and by the time it hits the 5 year mark, they will have likely shipped 70-75 million units, down from the 5th/6th gen but not by a huge amount. Had they released more affordable devices sold at a profit, with more/better advertising than its very likely they could be seeing 5th/6th gen level sales/profits.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Don't let Donkey Kong market their products.