By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't want Retro to make the next Metroid game.

I would prefer for Nintendo to have more capable studios that could compare with Retro in quality, and have them make a Metroid game like you said, but I would also like to see these studios being capable to make their own new IPs, that way we wouldn't need to wait 8 years for another new thing to pop up under Nintendo's name.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'd argue it's much more immersive to see through a character's eyes than to be watching them in third person from a disembodied camera.

I'd argue that Metroid is immersive one it's own merits and I'd argue that Metroid is not the franchise that benefits from that immersion enough for it to be a staple of the 3D games. I don't consider Samus an avatar for the player, so I see no tangable benefit to seeing the world through her eyes. You were never expected to "see the world through Samus's eyes" until the Prime games. That was never a part of the franchise until those games. Samus, as a character, is spry and acrobatic. She's nimble, yet wieghted. She's arguably more acrobatic than even Mario. That is completely gone in the Prime games.

Someone might argue that Mario or Zelda would be more "immersive" in the first person, but the games would be lesser products in that perspective because it, by it's very nature, removes core and integral aspects of the franchise for that slight boost in immersion.

One could say that The Last of Us would be more "immersive" in the first person, but that would be seriously underselling what makes that game immersive in the first place. TLOU doesn't need a helping hand for it's world to be more immersive.

Metroid, even more so, doesn't need first person to immersive. It oozes with atmosphere because of its level design and it's creature design. It doesn't need the helping hand of a helmet view, which wouldn't be an issue if it didn't mean throwing away and neutering half of core aspects of the franchise as a result, which is platforming. I don't mind that the Prime Trilogy takes that departure, as the games are unique for it, but it shouldn't be indicative of the overall direction of the franchise in 3D, that leaves so many core aspects of the franchise that can never possibly be expanded apon in the first person.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I'd argue it's much more immersive to see through a character's eyes than to be watching them in third person from a disembodied camera.

I'd argue that Metroid is immersive one it's own merits and I'd argue that Metroid is not the franchise that benefits from that immersion enough for it to be a staple of the 3D games. I don't consider Samus an avatar for the player, so I see no tangable benefit to seeing the world through her eyes. You were never expected to "see the world through Samus's eyes" until the Prime games. That was never a part of the franchise until those games. Samus, as a character, is spry and acrobatic. She's nimble, yet wieghted. She's arguably more acrobatic than even Mario. That is completely gone in the Prime games.

Someone might argue that Mario or Zelda would be more "immersive" in the first person, but the games would be lesser products in that perspective because it, by it's very nature, removes core and integral aspects of the franchise for that slight boost in immersion.

One could say that The Last of Us would be more "immersive" in the first person, but that would be seriously underselling what makes that game immersive in the first place. TLOU doesn't need a helping hand for it's world to be more immersive.

Metroid, even more so, doesn't need first person to immersive. It oozes with atmosphere because of its level design and it's creature design. It doesn't need the helping hand of a helmet view, which wouldn't be an issue if it didn't mean throwing away and neutering half of core aspects of the franchise as a result, which is platforming. I don't mind that the Prime Trilogy takes that departure, as the games are unique for it, but it shouldn't be indicative of the overall direction of the franchise in 3D, that leaves so many core aspects of the franchise that can never possibly be expanded apon in the first person.

The hardware of the NES/SNES simply didn't allow for a "through Samus's eyes" perspective.

If I feel like I am the character, that I am inside this alien world, that immerses me more.

curl-6 said:

The hardware of the NES/SNES simply didn't allow for a "through Samus's eyes" perspective.

If I feel like I am the character, that I am inside this alien world, that immerses me more.

You're ignoring my point. Metroid was made to be a platform. That is core to the inseption of the franchise. The sole reason Metroid exists as a franchise is to mix the action and openess of Zelda with the platforming and linearity of Mario. It was made to be a middle franchise between two polar opposite franchises.

Metroid was never a franchise of which you were meant to "see though Samus's eyes." The NES/SNES hardware wasn't what didn't allow for that perspective. Metroid's core design philosophy at its inception was what didn't allow for that perspective. They didn't make the games and think "how do we make up for the player not being able to see this world through Samus's perspective?" They made the games thinking "how can we marry the gameplay of Mario and the gameplay of Zelda in a unique way?" That philosophy was then expanded with Super Metroid, just like Super Mario World and A Link to the Past expanded the philosophy of their respective console prequels.

You were meant to feel like Samus in the same exact way that you were meant to feel like Mario and Link. You were meant to feel immersed in the Metroid universe in the same avanues that you were meant to feel immersed in the worlds of Mario and Zelda.

And you are meant to be platforming. Samus not platforming is as much of a betrayal of her character as it would be to Marios, just like Samus not exploring openly in Other M is as much of a betrayal to the Metroid franchise as Link not exploring openly was a betrayal of the Zelda franchise in Skyward Sword.

First Person directly contrasts that core aspect of Samus and the entire Metroid franchise, so it should be tossed in favor of a third person camera, which is completely in line with it in literally every way. Miyamoto even said that a Wii U Metroid would work like the Nintendo Land minigame, Metroid Blast. There is so much wrong with that representing Metroid, but the key thing is that it's in third person.

Maybe they could use the gamepad as the visors when you lift it up while the rest of the game remains in third person, but they need to bring platforming back fully to Metroid, and that is only possible in 3rd person.

http://youtu.be/YfGsArRQjKE

Around the Network

To be honest, I always thought that it'd be cool if we got a good, fast-paced 3D Metroid with Other M controls (just a lot more polished) because the 2D Metroid games are fast paced unlike Prime. Still though, I think Retro did an incredible job on the Prime series. I'd love to see them implement the same gameplay style (and to expand it, obviously) on a new Metroid sub-series (because the Prime series is over, I'm sure that they could pull off a Prime 4 but it wouldn't be the best route IMO).

Tell me this: Would you prefer Metroid Prime 4 or Diddy Kong Racing 2?

With the experience they now have with 2D level design, I'd like them to take a shot at a console 2D Metroid.

MohammadBadir said:

Tell me this: Would you prefer Metroid Prime 4 or Diddy Kong Racing 2?

Diddy Kong Racing 2 by far

With that said, I just realized that I don't care too much for Retro. They produce nice graphics but have never cared all that much for their gameplay.

I say let Retro do Metroid, I'd rather Nintendo get someone 'better' (for my tastes) to do Donkey Kong 3D / Diddy Kong

Give it to From. I want Metroid Souls.

If I may be so bold (Seriously, don't kill me), but I think they should go bat shit crazy. My idea? Take Mass Effect, and turn it into Metroid. Like forego the aliens motif and go with a bounty hunter/Mass Effect like thing. Like give the hubs and stuff like that from Mass Effect, character interactions, maybe even RPG elements (For her abilities for instance), and then when you go on "missions" it's either Prime styled gameplay or Other M styled gameplay.  I guess I'm trying to say: merry Mass Effect and Prime 3.