By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS4 will sell 37,000,000 by Dec 31. 2015

KBG29 said:
I think this will happen easily. With PlayStation Vue, and similar apps on XBO, these console are going to go insane this year. People that are interested at all in console or next gen exclusives will be not only looking at a box to play their games, but a box that can replace their Blu-ray Player, Their Wii/X360/PS3, and their cable box.

With how simple and fast XBO and PS4 are, I can see many people finding reason to pick up multiple consoles if they have TV's in Living room, Family Room, and Bedroom. Like I have stated many times, there are 160M cable boxes in the US alone. I currently have four cable boxes, and one PS4. Once PS Vue hits, I will have Zero cable boxes and 4 PS4's. This should be common place in house holds that are looking to cut the cable, and go OTT.

Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 7, Bloodbonre, MLB The Show 2016, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, PlayStation Now, PlayStation Vue, Video Unlimited, and Music Unlimited. Playstation 4 is pack with exclusives all year long, whether it is Console exclusive games, Brand Exclusive Games, Exclusive TV Programming, or Early access to movies and music, the train just will not stop.

So, Turkish says 37M? I say that is the absolute base line. Baring production issues, I see no reason PS4 can not sell 45M by Dec. 31st 2015. I say 45M shipped or sold will be what we hear at CES 2016.

so how's a bet on that? i say no way in hell does ps4 get to 45m until mid-2016 (if then), you say december 31, 2015. it almost seems unfair given the downward pressure of reality on crazy figures like 45m by year-end (that means the system will have to outsell itself to date by nearly, ironically, 45% in 2015 with a total of 2.2m PER MONTH), but if you'll take me up i'm game.

Around the Network
jetforcejiminy said:
your signature notwithstanding, the ps4 didn't even outperform the wii in its first full year (fell short by 2-2.5m)... this system is not headed for 100m. it's not even headed for 90m, probably closer to ps3 figures (~80-85m ltd) with a reverse trendline (ps3 peaked late, ps4 just peaked).

33-35m more realistic, and i'm inclined to go short rather than long on that prediction, especially with an aggressive serial bundler and discounter like microsoft as its main competitor.

There is no reason to think that PS4 has peaked already at $400 and with the vast majority of its library still cross-gen games.

The PS4 will reach 40 million console sales as COD, FIFA, Madden and other multi-plats and PS4 exclusive game releases help the PS4 sell over 20 million console in 2015 and help the PS4 climb towards 40 million by the end of 2015.

I think it will hit 34 million, but not much more. Besides, aren't your calculation a bit off?

Yay! Another Sony/PS4 prediction to add to my sig.

I say 38M.

Around the Network

Why not just predict >35 million sell through? Seems highly likely that PS4 will sell through at least 17M in 2015 as year 2 should get fairly decent growth over year one.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Seems we are mostly all agreed the ps4 will have a fantastic year, approximately doubling its numbers. It will have a larger catalogue of games and no doubt a price reduction and there may be new developments coming in like a VR headset that may be officially announced if not launched this year. While I don't have a ps4 yet I'm building up a library on psn plus for one and expect to get one sometime this year.

I think its more interesting what will happen with wii u and xbone. Microsoft had a brilliant fight back to get back in the game but Nintendo seems to have given up on wii u. Those numbers are less easy to predict.

My prediction for 2015 year end is;

PS4 39m
Xbone 22m
Wii u 13m

Despite being a wii u owner myself I just can't see the wii u doing well this year. I'm only expecting to make 2-3 purchases for it myself and now with a complete lack of third party major titles I just don't see many buying it. It desperately needs a re-designed controller but not sure Nintendo will invest in it as the underlying console hardware is so weak and that won't restore third party support.

I think wii u will get even more marginalized this year with more retailers not stocking it. I think Nintendo have left it too late to fight back and will be forced into more aggressive pricing this year just to keep sales ticking over at low levels.

Microsoft will continue to offer exclusive titles in a console close to ps4 performance and do well in distant 2nd place but I feel as more aggressive pricing comes in European sales will recover.

I'll hazard a guess - 40 million which will be helped by :-

CHINA - CHINA - CHINA
Stronger lineup for 2015
and possibly a perm price cut bringing it to $299 ; £250 in Oct/Nov

Sony want this selling for 10 years. They will reduce the price as little as possible. I only see it going down to stop the xbox becoming 100$ cheaper. As long as they sell what they can produce they won't drop it much either.

This is a very tame prediction. But it's highly likely, yes.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.