By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Order 1886's Aspect Ratio (Black Bars) Is a Complete Sham.

Wait, what? The "fixed" pics are just zoomed out, which is why you seemingly have more horizontal viewing space.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

Of course black bars don't give you a wider FOV. Pulling the camera back does. I'm surprised you found this to be a revelation XD

Had the black bars not been there, perhaps the camera would've been closer to the character.

In any case, The Evil Within used the id Tech engine and had serious issues, that's probably the reason. Also, the black bars take more space than in The Order. More spance than movies do, so it's a weird aspect ratio. In this case and cases like Dragon's Dogma, it seems it's done for performance.

If you look at The Order's concept art, it already had black bars, so in that particular case it was there by design, like with Beyond Two Souls. I personally don't mind them.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I remember plugging my NES into a 13 inch TV back in the day and thinking it was awesome. I think I can deal with this.

The continued pussification of gamers is an interesting phenomenon to watch.

I think guys at Ready at Dawn know what they're doing, I don't mind black bars in films at all, why should I care if It's in a game or not?

Since when was taking screen space away ever a good thing? Of course it results in less FOV. It's done to keep the framerate stable.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

You're not wrong in disliking it, it's just a matter of preference after all (i'm personally undecided right now).

That said, the whole reason they extended the horizontal FOV was to account for the vertical view that they cut. Like i did here:

Could they have extended the FOV and removed the black bars? Sure, but that would require other trades off. Currently they've basically traded the vertical space for horizontal space, and the resources saved from the lower total pixel count were likely what allowed them to implement 4xMSAA. Essentially, both trades looped back into the the IQ/video space, which makes it appear it was a genuine artistic choice. If perhaps a slightly questionable one :p

Wait does increasing the FOV hinder performance even if both examples are the same? like if both are fullscreen but 1 has smaller FOV, the other larger (no bars on both)

Less screen means seeing less, period. By their logic you could make the image a tiny strip across the screen and you'd be able to see EVERYWHERE! They're probably doing it for stylistic reasons or this is a sneaky industry way to have to render less game and still give a high-resolution image.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Barkley said:
You didn't realize that removing the bars above and below wouldn't take away any of the horizontal view and just increase the vertical view?

Troll_Whisperer said:

Of course black bars don't give you a wider FOV. Pulling the camera back does. I'm surprised you found this to be a revelation XD

I did not realize this :( i thought it all had to do with aspect ratios and pulling the camera back would just make it further away without adding horizontal or vertical pixels

Chevinator123 said:

I didn't realize how much better the evil within looks on PC than my Xbox One.  Wow. 

BTW realy effed up game (in a good way).  It's like playing a nightmare so far.

Ruler said:

well you should use some tv settings, maybe your tvs can remove them using subtitle aspect ratio modes or something.

I think if you do that tho, it cuts off horizontal pixels