By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would it be possible for the Wii U to run Zelda U at 60fps?

I'm not trolling. This question comes from a place of ignorance. I'm inclined to think that the answer is obviously no, as the world is so large, but I don't know how this stuff works. Zelda U clearly doesn't need to worry about crazy high res textures and polygon counts like other open world games on consoles of similar power, and it is being worked on by a team that knows how to get the most out of the hardware, but I don't know if that would help enough.

Basically, with what we've seen of Zelda U, is does it seem possible that the Zelda team could be able to reach that level of 60fps? Or is it completely not realistic, given what we've seen. This is also assuming that the resolution was no less than 720p. I'm not asking if it will run at 60fps, because I have a feeling it will be 1080p 30fps. I'm asking if it could.

Around the Network

If it is able to run at 1080p30 it will be able to run 720p60 as well. Not that it easily could.

They will certainly go for 720p and try to limit the effects and textures as much as possible to reach a smooth 60. But it will probably suffer drops anyway. I just hope that they will use at least a little bit of AA.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If there is something Nintendo's developers excell at, it's optimization. I say that it really depends on what they determine more important, 1080p resolution or 60fps, I don't think you can have both. I think it's safe to say that Ninty would choose 60fps since they don't have the dumb audience that would prefer pretty-ness over responsive-ness that Sony and Microsoft have.

- M, Carl

I'm now filled with determination.

Maybe at 720p, but 1080p? Nope, not happening!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

its possible

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
vivster said:
If it is able to run at 1080p30 it will be able to run 720p60 as well. Not that it easily could.

They will certainly go for 720p and try to limit the effects and textures as much as possible to reach a smooth 60. But it will probably suffer drops anyway. I just hope that they will use at least a little bit of AA.

...Are you sure it's that simple? Isn't it extremely tough for an open world game, regardless of being able to reach 1080p?

I'd obviously rather them go 720p 60fps, but I feel like they're just going to go for higher detail and 30fps, which would annoy me greatly. If the alternative was truly 60fps.

Zelda has been always 30fps target(except LBTW), and the official screenshot is 720p, so it must be 720p and 30fps. In fact, the latest video from The Game Award had even some frame drops.

I prefer 1080p30..

Just look at borderlands 2 on vita. It is possible to achieve anything. Technically it is possible but it will force developers to make sacrifice many things like, draw distance, texture, and overall performance. Average joe gamer dont care about this. They want the game be good and run well.

PwerlvlAmy said:
its possible

But how? Is there evidence of like PCs running hardware as strong as the Wii U running open world games like Skyrim at 720p 60fps, but with all the settings toned down? How do people know it's possible? What's the precident?