By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would it be possible for the Wii U to run Zelda U at 60fps?

curl-6 said:
vivster said:

I think people are overestimating open world. It's just a large area that is capped by whatever the highest view distance is. So pretty much like HyWa already is. There isn't a lot of geometry in a Zelda game and it won't be hugely populated. Add to that low res textures and it's a fairly forgiving game.

Except HW never lets you see huge expansive areas at once, blocking the way with walls and other obstructions, while we've already seen Zelda U stretch for vast distances. ZU is also lightyears ahead of HW in graphical fidelity.

If they can competently scale down the complexity in distances(LOD) this shouldn't be a huge hit to performance. I still believe Wii U is stronger than the PS3 and that one could run AC games which feature huge draw distances with lots of geometry. And as far as world complexity goes AC is miles ahead of Zelda.

So again, if they don't manage to make Zelda 720p60 I will have a good old laugh. Which will then quickly turn into disgust when I have to play it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
curl-6 said:
vivster said:

I think people are overestimating open world. It's just a large area that is capped by whatever the highest view distance is. So pretty much like HyWa already is. There isn't a lot of geometry in a Zelda game and it won't be hugely populated. Add to that low res textures and it's a fairly forgiving game.

Except HW never lets you see huge expansive areas at once, blocking the way with walls and other obstructions, while we've already seen Zelda U stretch for vast distances. ZU is also lightyears ahead of HW in graphical fidelity.

And as far as world complexity goes AC is miles ahead of Zelda.

Oh you already played new Zelda? lol

I wouldn't be surprised if it is 720p and 30 fps with no AA. SM3DW was 720p and no AA as well as almost every other game outside of SSBU. Nintendo will do everything possible to make sure the frame rate is good, but with some of those expanses of open terrain there are bound to be some frame dips. I expect the effects and the textures to be fantastic. Along with the art style it will be a excellent game. Nintendos focus shouldn't be on trying to achieve either 1080p or 60 fps with Zelda.

spemanig said:
vivster said:

I will actually have a big laugh if they can't manage to bring it to 720p60.

I'm pretty sure HyWa doesn't run at 60fps. That, or it dips a LOT.

HyWa is 60fps but can dip dramatically when there is a lot going on at the same time. With a main Zelda there is never going on much at the same time on the screen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:
vivster said:

If they can competently scale down the complexity in distances(LOD) this shouldn't be a huge hit to performance. I still believe Wii U is stronger than the PS3 and that one could run AC games which feature huge draw distances with lots of geometry. And as far as world complexity goes AC is miles ahead of Zelda.

So again, if they don't manage to make Zelda 720p60 I will have a good old laugh. Which will then quickly turn into disgust when I have to play it.

AC also has pretty dismal performance though.

Around the Network
618116 said:

Oh you already played new Zelda? lol

Yes I already played Zelda. Many Zeldas actually. And I even watched all of the footage for Zelda U. Zelda was never known for (geometrical) world complexity. Always simple shapes, flat surfaces, very few 3D objects apart from the grass. The footage we've seen so far supports that.

bunchanumbers said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it is 720p and 30 fps with no AA. SM3DW was 720p and no AA as well as almost every other game outside of SSBU. Nintendo will do everything possible to make sure the frame rate is good, but with some of those expanses of open terrain there are bound to be some frame dips. I expect the effects and the textures to be fantastic. Along with the art style it will be a excellent game. Nintendos focus shouldn't be on trying to achieve either 1080p or 60 fps with Zelda.

Actually, 3D World had AA.

curl-6 said:

It can have stable 30fps on PS3 even if you are on top of the highest structure and looking around.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

It can have stable 30fps on PS3 even if you are on top of the highest structure and looking around.

The AC games dip below 30fps all the time. (And before AC3, tear frames a lot too)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-ii-face-off-article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-3-face-off

thatguymarco said:

Because most games people play on PS4 or XOne are quick, adreline filled action games that would benefit a lot more gameplay-wise if they had twice the frames. Maybe saying that they're dumb was a little harsh and bias since I couldn't give 2 shits about resolution, but really, people make such a big deal about the resolution of games, it's annoying, and I really feel that as long as the game is 720p you wouldn't have any problems when it comes to clarity.

-snip-

It just irked me that you called anyone who valued graphics or resolution over fame-rate "dumb" (though i understand you said it without thinking). For many, stuff like good graphics or an interesting art direction (or even better, both) can add to their enjoyment of the gameplay. Likewise, many will feel than 60fps improves their experience more. Neither side is right, they just have different preferences. 

Heck, many like me have different preferences depending on the game in question. I'd much rather Uncharted or Zelda be 30fps, while i'd rather Mario Kart of Street Fighter be 60fps (even if that meant 720p). I'd always pick 1080p over 720p with better graphics though :p

On a side note, i say this with the assumption a developer actually makes good use of the freed resources. Making a game 30fps purely because you can't be bothered to optimize properly (like TEW) isn't acceptable in my books.