By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would it be possible for the Wii U to run Zelda U at 60fps?

Yep, but they would have to sacrifice other stuff for it.

Yep.

Around the Network

People are comparing WW HD (port done in 6 months during the console's 1st year of life) and SM3DWorld (platformer done in 6 on months during the console's 1st year of life) to Zelda WiiU (will release near the consoles 3rd year on the market and has been in production for longer than 3 years)?? Really??

Apples and oranges people. Apples and oranges.

I'd agree that 1080p30fps is likely. It would be like Wind Waker HD, which is 1080p30fps and weren't those E3 screenshots of the new game 1080p? Zelda, as a slow adventure game not reliant on precise platforming and speedy manouvres, is fine at 30fps. In this case I'd rather take the resolution. A Link Between Worlds was 60fps, but only because it gave a clearer 3D picture.

Now, to answer the OP, 60fps could be possible if Nintendo really wanted to, but not without trade-offs. Like I said, I'd rather they make the game as pretty as possible instead of needlessly smooth. 1080p and 60fps will probably be impossible on WiiU for such a big game.

They're going to go all-out with this game, trying every trick in the book, and it will be gorgious regardless that's without question.

Any type of game can run at 60fps if developers are willing to sacrifice the graphics. With Zelda Wii U It doesn't look like Nintendo has sacrificed the graphics and historically they never have with console Zelda's. Maybe the game runs at 720p 60fps??

Historically games which are suppose to absorb you in their open worlds almost always aim for 30fps and better graphics. The only place you will see this differ is PC games where users have control.

what happens if you put rgb output into your wiiu does the lower resolution result into higher frame rate?

Around the Network

It'll be 720p/30fps, as a trade-off to achieve its scale and detail.
Quote moi.

captain carot said:
Funny thing is i prefer Mario Karts no AA over FXAA.
Back to Zelda U:

We do have some normal mapping, tons of fx, all stuff that Wind Waker is missing.

We do have nice lighting fx (remember the clouds?), tons of animated 3D grass, forests and so on.

Before we even talk about FX and Lighting, polygon count and texture quality is visibly generations apart: Wind Waker should not even be brought into the discussion. Its a gamecube game with improved lighting and AA.

spemanig said:

But when I compare Skyrim on last gen to Zelda U on this gen, there's clearly different factors. Skyrim was clearly poorly optomized while Zelda U will almost definitely be very well optimised. Skyrim has far more going on when it comes to textures and is definitely working with much more texture as it's a more realisic game. I don't know the difference in map size, but I'm sure they're comparable. And then there's the fact that the Wii U hardware is more powerful. Is it possible then that all that could add up to a 60fps open world game?

Although Skyrim is a busier game, Zelda will likely have more advanced effects. Also CPU wise isn't the Wii U  weaker then the 360?

Honestly though, I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim simply because Nintendo are not Bethesda. This generation they've made it very clear they've struggled to get to grips with HD development, whereas teams like Bethesda make it their gap to be at the bleeding edge of tech. Zelda U will be highly optimised to to run at its desired settings, but I don't think it will be highly optimised to squeeze every ounce of power from the hardware- something Skyrim looks to do on the 360. To be honest we haven't seen this from Nintendo since, twilight princess on gamecube.  Typically its been 3rd parties who push Nintendo hardware(Retro, Rare, Capcom, Factor 5) nintendo merely work within hardware limitations with brilliant attention to detail and art design (Mario Galaxy, Windwaker, Mario Kart 8). 

teigaga said:
spemanig said:

But when I compare Skyrim on last gen to Zelda U on this gen, there's clearly different factors. Skyrim was clearly poorly optomized while Zelda U will almost definitely be very well optimised. Skyrim has far more going on when it comes to textures and is definitely working with much more texture as it's a more realisic game. I don't know the difference in map size, but I'm sure they're comparable. And then there's the fact that the Wii U hardware is more powerful. Is it possible then that all that could add up to a 60fps open world game?

Although Skyrim is a busier game, Zelda will likely have more advanced effects. Also CPU wise isn't the Wii U  weaker then the 360?

Honestly though, I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim simply because Nintendo are not Bethesda. This generation they've made it very clear they've struggled to get to grips with HD development, whereas teams like Bethesda make it their gap to be at the bleeding edge of tech. Zelda U will be highly optimised to to run at its desired settings, but I don't think it will be highly optimised to squeeze every ounce of power from the hardware- something Skyrim looks to do on the 360. To be honest we haven't seen this from Nintendo since, twilight princess on gamecube.  Typically its been 3rd parties who push Nintendo hardware(Retro, Rare, Capcom, Factor 5) nintendo merely work within hardware limitations with brilliant attention to detail and art design (Mario Galaxy, Windwaker, Mario Kart 8). 

Weaker CPU, but better GPU and twice as much RAM.

And yeah, Nintendo stopped caring about pushing the limits of their own hardware some time ago.

I got this screenshot directly from Nintendo, and I wanted the expert guys to tell if it's native 1080p or 720p upscaled: