By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's with Pokemon?

It's not selling how it used to, but yeah, it's still pretty popular.

But our Youkai overlords will take the over....soon.... (watch someone take this seriously)

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Skidmore said:

Twenty years later and it's still kicking as strong as it was a new IP. It sells twice/three times all other games non-Mario related(Animal Crossing aside) in the 3DS.

In DS and GB era I thought it was that huge userbase, but in the 3DS is the same story all over again, OR/AS are dominating the chartz, and they are just a remake.

What makes us buy the same game over and over again for that long without any major innovation(just overhauls to typing/battle)? 

VGC sales tend to disagree with you here

Gen 1>2>4>3>5>6 in terms of the main games. So if anything it has slowly declined each generation, the DS being the saviour selling nearly 2:1 vs the GBA allowing gen 4 to take 3rd over gen 3. So its really not even close to being the behemoth it once was even if sales are still really strong.

Not really, there was a big decline from Gen 1 to Gen 2 to Gen 3 but Gen 3-6 have all sold pretty similar. Nintendo recently announced shipment figures for mainline Pokemon games dating back to Gen 3.

Gen 3-16.5m

Gen 4-17.6m

Gen 5-15.4m

Gen 6-13.3m (will pass 15m)

So the series has stayed pretty consistant for about 12 years now.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

uran10 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Roma said:
same reason people buy COD without any major change

CODs made more changes in 5 years than pokemon has in 20.

best joke of the thred right here

I literally LoLed in RL when I read this...

OT: Although many say Pokémon is the Nintendo COD due to how much it sells, that's where the differences stop. Pokémon games usually pack an adventure that's AT LEAST 35+ Hours long (along with a 50 hour+ in side quests), as opposed to the 5-7 hour story modes in COD. The Pokémon series characters are some of the most memorable bunch in Video Game history (Giovanni, Blue (Gary Oak), Lance, Silver, Red, Cyrus, Cynthia, N, Geist). It's game mechanics make it simple for ANYONE to pick up, but only few can master (anyone who competitively battles in Pokémon know this). It's music scores are some of the best in video gaming history as well, and they present Adult themes in all their games ( Coming of age and leaving the house is one in all of them, The theme of murder in Gen 1, The theme of mistreatment in Gen 2, Theme of Religion and Creation in Gen 4, and the theme of questioning enslavement in Gen 5). Then there's the addictive gameplay of leveling up your Pokémon and picking the right teams to, and catching them all (More importantly catching all the ever so cool Legendary Pokémon). Also breeding is very important if you want to get into competitive battling, and that can be even more addicting. And last but not least, you have the addictng online aspect of trading, battling, and socializing (great way of meeting people)!

It's no secret that COD doesn't focus on story much no more, and although it covers world issues it main characters don't really grow much from the beginning to the end and little to no life lessons can be learned. And by change you mean nerf this gun and perk to OP this new gun and Perk, then COD goes thru changes yearly...

Pokémon allows people to capture any wild creature they desire, force it to obey every command (even if this means fighting until you lose consciousness), non consensually pick which moves it should be able to perform and which moves should be forgotten, pick its attributes, mutate its genes through breeding, and surrender their very existence to their own personal gains.

The hierarchy of past times may be abolished, but man's appetite for power and control is as strong as ever. And Nintendo knows exactly how to let us satisfy those needs.

Because... Illuminati?

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Pokémon allows people to capture any wild creature they desire, force it to obey every command (even if this means fighting until you lose consciousness), non consensually pick which moves it should be able to perform and which moves should be forgotten, pick its attributes, mutate its genes through breeding, and surrender their very existence to their own personal gains.

The hierarchy of past times may be abolished, but man's appetite for power and control is as strong as ever. And Nintendo knows exactly how to let us satisfy those needs.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but it's still a great explanation either way. 

Thinking of all those little 10 year olds secretly playing Pokémon because they have to feed their world-conquering mindset is funny.

Skidmore said:

Twenty years later and it's still kicking as strong as it was a new IP. It sells twice/three times all other games non-Mario related(Animal Crossing aside) in the 3DS.

In DS and GB era I thought it was that huge userbase, but in the 3DS is the same story all over again, OR/AS are dominating the chartz, and they are just a remake.

What makes us buy the same game over and over again for that long without any major innovation(just overhauls to typing/battle)? 

coz it's perfect. i don't really buy/play them anymore (with the exception of x/y), but boy did they create a perfect formula with blue/red.

Nostalgia, mostly. There is little innovation with every new pokemon.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

garretslarrity said:
Paatar said:
ktay95 said:
Skidmore said:

VGC sales tend to disagree with you here

Gen 1>2>4>3>5>6 in terms of the main games. So if anything it has slowly declined each generation, the DS being the saviour selling nearly 2:1 vs the GBA allowing gen 4 to take 3rd over gen 3. So its really not even close to being the behemoth it once was even if sales are still really strong.

However, if we were doing install bases, there were over 140m GBA's and about 158m DS's. If we were to use install base of the units, then X and Y would be over 24m right now...

There were not 140M GBAs.  There were 81.51M GBAs.

Sorry, I was referring to the original gameboy series, not Gameboy Advanced. Those all together actually 118m. I for some reason was thinking of something else. But the original Pokemon games which sold the most, were on the Gameboy and could be played on Gameboy advanced.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

uran10 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Roma said:
same reason people buy COD without any major change

CODs made more changes in 5 years than pokemon has in 20.

best joke of the thred right here

For every 1 change pokemon has made, I can easily mention 4 that COD has made... more sophisticated changes too.

Its a joke that anyone would even think otherwise.