By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's with Pokemon?

fps_d0minat0r said:
Roma said:
same reason people buy COD without any major change

CODs made more changes in 5 years than pokemon has in 20.

best joke of the thred right here

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Pokemon is like doing anal. First, you are kind of unsure of it and wonder why some people like it but after you do it, bam, you will never stop cuming back! Pokemon sells cause the games are fun and they manage to keep it "fresh" enough to not make them feel old for most people

That analogy* is actually more precise than I'd like to admit.

*I was going to say comparison but analogy seems way more fitting.

ktay95 said:
Skidmore said:

Twenty years later and it's still kicking as strong as it was a new IP. It sells twice/three times all other games non-Mario related(Animal Crossing aside) in the 3DS.

In DS and GB era I thought it was that huge userbase, but in the 3DS is the same story all over again, OR/AS are dominating the chartz, and they are just a remake.

What makes us buy the same game over and over again for that long without any major innovation(just overhauls to typing/battle)? 

VGC sales tend to disagree with you here

Gen 1>2>4>3>5>6 in terms of the main games. So if anything it has slowly declined each generation, the DS being the saviour selling nearly 2:1 vs the GBA allowing gen 4 to take 3rd over gen 3. So its really not even close to being the behemoth it once was even if sales are still really strong.

No ktay, I am not comparing it to itsfelf 20 years ago. I am comparing it with the promissing IPs that appears alongside with it. 

P.S: From the old IPs from the 90s, just Mario and GTA were able to retain its power after all those years.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Skidmore said:

Twenty years later and it's still kicking as strong as it was a new IP. It sells twice/three times all other games non-Mario related(Animal Crossing aside) in the 3DS.

In DS and GB era I thought it was that huge userbase, but in the 3DS is the same story all over again, OR/AS are dominating the chartz, and they are just a remake.

What makes us buy the same game over and over again for that long without any major innovation(just overhauls to typing/battle)? 

Parents have heard about it, great way to babysit their kids.

KLAMarine said:
Skidmore said:

So there are 12 million parents buying Pokemon games every year.

A Shame my father did not know what a Pokemon was back them, and still don't.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Around the Network

It's a phenomenon. Can everybody remember Tamagotchi? It had a big boom but was short lived. Many experts thought Pokémon will have the same fate. I can remember at the height of Pokémon I was at a Manga/Animé exhibition which had many lectures. I was at one of them where an industry insider talked. He said Pokémon is like Tamagotchi it will be gone after 5 years. Obviously, he was wrong.

ktay95 said:
Skidmore said:

Gen 1>2>4>3>5>6 in terms of the main games. So if anything it has slowly declined each generation, the DS being the saviour selling nearly 2:1 vs the GBA allowing gen 4 to take 3rd over gen 3. So its really not even close to being the behemoth it once was even if sales are still really strong.

However, if we were doing install bases, there were over 140m GBA's and about 158m DS's. If we were to use install base of the units, then X and Y would be over 24m right now...

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Skidmore said:
KLAMarine said:

So there are 12 million parents buying Pokemon games every year.

A Shame my father did not know what a Pokemon was back them, and still don't.

Well it certainly contributes. People who grew up with it and can buy it themselves now still do too.

I love all the
cuz it's good comments
Because they are true

Paatar said:
ktay95 said:
Skidmore said:

However, if we were doing install bases, there were over 140m GBA's and about 158m DS's. If we were to use install base of the units, then X and Y would be over 24m right now...

There were not 140M GBAs.  There were 81.51M GBAs.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity