By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's with Pokemon?

Pokemon is the kind of game that can appeal to virtually any age group. The remakes sell so well because a lot of the little kids that are just getting into Pokemon were either too young or not alive when the originals came out. They played X/Y, their brains exploded, and to them OR/AS are brand new games.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

Stockholm.

The changes and innovations made in each new installment.

It's a fantastic adventure rpg franchise rated E for everyone.

It's a formula that's so deep and satisfying that we're usually cool with just having new worlds to explore and new Pokemon to catch. And when it's not that, we want to play new versions of old games we played as kids. They just hit on a game concept that's that good.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
Skidmore said:

Twenty years later and it's still kicking as strong as it was a new IP. It sells twice/three times all other games non-Mario related(Animal Crossing aside) in the 3DS.

In DS and GB era I thought it was that huge userbase, but in the 3DS is the same story all over again, OR/AS are dominating the chartz, and they are just a remake.

What makes us buy the same game over and over again for that long without any major innovation(just overhauls to typing/battle)? 

VGC sales tend to disagree with you here

Gen 1>2>4>3>5>6 in terms of the main games. So if anything it has slowly declined each generation, the DS being the saviour selling nearly 2:1 vs the GBA allowing gen 4 to take 3rd over gen 3. So its really not even close to being the behemoth it once was even if sales are still really strong.

From a huge pokemon fan i wouldnt say its as strong as it was in the 90s. I think its even better and its still obviously huge, but in the 90s pokemon was bigger.

Either way, its a format that will not get old simply because their is countless possibilities with abilities, pokemon, items, etc. Think of a RPG game like Final Fantasy. In FF you can use how many characters? less than 10. Pokemon has over 700 plus abilities, plus held items. It may be relatively the same format every time, but it continues to grow the possibilities and scenarios

same reason people buy COD without any major change

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

It's a unique franchise that no other games comes close to replicating. They also know how to market Pokemon. In the anime most Pokemon say their names and in the anime only certain Pokemon of the main characters' evolve. Those are strictly marketing decisions to drill the names of the monsters into your head and to highlight cute (squirtle) and cool (charizard) Pokemon.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Roma said:
same reason people buy COD without any major change

CODs made more changes in 5 years than pokemon has in 20.