By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My biggest disappointment about the WiiU is not sales or games, it is that it was not truly Next Gen like they promised!

spurgeonryan said:
Nogamez said:
Disagree. There are.plenty of 3d games on wii u. And talking off next gen im sat here watching gta5 on ps4 sooo not excactly next gen is it

Yes, it is very next gen. The problem with next gen is Nintendo has never had that next gen Wow Factor and still do not get it. The visuals are only one part of next gen. As spemanig said above this. That is what we got with Mario Kart U. Visuals and a bunch of tracks with a bunch of racers. Basically for the Nintendo gamer who longs for GT on a Nintendo system.

Have you actually played ps4? Great console but its basically a ps3 with a slightly longer controller but does less then a ps3. When i Got one in.september it didnt even.have a youtube app nor will it regonise a external harddrive to watch films.

Around the Network

And what has ps4 done to give the wow factor besides downgrading their games?

promising 1080p 60fps and games actually end up 1080p 30fps or 960 x 1080i with avriable framerate between 30 and 50 fps instead of 1920*1080p and steady 60fps?

announcing games with ultra realistic graphics on E3 and then the retail version recieves graphical cuts?

the only thing in what sony has surprised me is the amount of lies and bullshit they have commited to sell their product

spemanig said:

**The full post but particularly this**

I stand by my stance the Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U are the only killer apps the Wii U has. Everything else is filler. After two whole years, that's absolutely pitiful. After two years, the Wii had Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. That's three epic single player experiences and two epic multiplayer ones. And THEN it had the filler like No More Heroes, New Super Mario Bros, and Red Steel.

I would say the Wii U has been better for it this year (probably because Mario Kart 8 and Supper Smash Bros were its two biggest games), but definitely in its first year or so overload of 2D platformers was a problem. There was NSMBU and the addition of New Super Luigi U, there was the excellent Rayman Legends (definitive version imo) and then Super Mario 3D World - not a 2D platformer but not a full 3D Mario Galaxy type game either, and one which borrows a lot from the 2D Mario games in visuals, gameplay, level design. Then shortly into 2014 the next big game we got was DKCR:TF - an excellent game, but another 2D platformer on a platform (I know) that was struggling to be seen as "next gen" and at a time where lots of their gamers must surely have been platformed out. At least since DK there was a gap, with only Shovel Knight since then and Yoshi's Woolly World looking to be the next new big Nintendo 2D platformer after Tropical Freeze (Kirby's Rainbow Curse too, but it looks a little different and not as big a game).

For the Wii U I would add Super Mario 3D World alongside Mario Kart 8 and SSB (it may not have the full 3D experience of Galaxy but it still a AAA Nintendo experience), and for epic 3D single player we do technically have WWHD (hey, if other consoles get to count GTA V and TLOUR as killer apps then Wii U could count this), but that obviously pales in comparison to a new Zelda and Galaxy trumps 3D World. A lot is riding on Zelda U - while the Wii U does have a solid looking lineup this year with more games, Zelda is the only one I think could really be a huge game to go alongside Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and 3D World (I don't think Starfox U is big enough to do that).

Well i agree in a sense they need more triple AAA like zelda out now and a proper mario,banjo, dk beater. And a turok,goldeneye,perfect dark style game wud be much appreciated to

I...actually agree with you, again!
N64 became a very loved gen because 3D games. No 2D Dk, but a 3D one. I'll have bought day one a DK64-2 on Wii U rather than Returns 2. I agree that some franchises are focusing too much on 2D rather than 3D or something new, and I agree with your dissapointment to see the first HD NIntendo games being this.

Mario - NSMBU and 3D World (you like it or not, is heavily influenced by 2D Marios, feels like a SMB3)
DK - DKCTF
Yoshi - Yoshi Woolly World
Kirby - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Zelda is fortunately in the right direction (so far), but it will be a big dissapointment, if for example, dungeons are top down. But the last one, ALBW, was, and it lefts in our mouth the taste of 2D.
Still no sign of Metroid in 3D, and the last one (Other M) was some kind of fusion between 2D and 3D.

I think this is what you are talking about.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

PS4 and Xbone haven't really given us anything that is really next gen either though. I guess you could call the Nemesis system in Mordor next gen since it's not on the last gen consoles. But aside from visuals, what have either of these consoles provided that is not possible on last gen hardware? I think this is the year you start to see that on next gen consoles, starting with Evolve next month.

You saw the Wii U pick up in its 2nd year as well. The problem for Nintendo is that when the Wii U hit its stride and started pumping out good looking games, people don't see any difference between it and PS360 games. I mean Bayonetta 2 looks way beyond anything on the Wii, but does it really blow the original away from PS360? No. MK8 looks great but does it destroy Horizon 2 or GT6 or NFS on last gen consoles? No.

Meanwhile even if GTA V on next gen is, gameplay wise, mostly unchanged from last gen, dem graphics doe.

RuRo said:

I would say the Wii U has been better for it this year (probably because Mario Kart 8 and Supper Smash Bros were its two biggest games), but definitely in its first year or so overload of 2D platformers was a problem. There was NSMBU and the addition of New Super Luigi U, there was the excellent Rayman Legends (definitive version imo) and then Super Mario 3D World - not a 2D platformer but not a full 3D Mario Galaxy type game either, and one which borrows a lot from the 2D Mario games in visuals, gameplay, level design. Then shortly into 2014 the next big game we got was DKCR:TF - an excellent game, but another 2D platformer on a platform (I know) that was struggling to be seen as "next gen" and at a time where lots of their gamers must surely have been platformed out. At least since DK there was a gap, with only Shovel Knight since then and Yoshi's Woolly World looking to be the next new big Nintendo 2D platformer after Tropical Freeze (Kirby's Rainbow Curse too, but it looks a little different and not as big a game).

For the Wii U I would add Super Mario 3D World alongside Mario Kart 8 and SSB (it may not have the full 3D experience of Galaxy but it still a AAA Nintendo experience), and for epic 3D single player we do technically have WWHD (hey, if other consoles get to count GTA V and TLOUR as killer apps then Wii U could count this), but that obviously pales in comparison to a new Zelda and Galaxy trumps 3D World. A lot is riding on Zelda U - while the Wii U does have a solid looking lineup this year with more games, Zelda is the only one I think could really be a huge game to go alongside Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and 3D World (I don't think Starfox U is big enough to do that).

I don't consider SM3DW AAA at all. It's AA. It doesn't compare to Galaxy. I don't countn't GTAV or TLOUR, and I didn't count RE4 for the Wii, so definitely I don't count WWHD as a killer app. I think it's the greatest game of all time, but I'll never consider a remake or remaster a killer app, unless it's something drastic like remaking a 2D game into a 3D game.

It's too late for the Wii U. Zelda U could be the best game of all time, but it will still be three years too late. Star Fox U could have been AAA big, but it will most likely be like Star Fox 64, which doesn't cut it. It'll be comparable to Bayonatta if it's even good. Excellent filler.

spurgeonryan said:

I do not think I can even count the 2D cop outs that the Wii U has on all ten of my fingers. Yes, the 2D visuals are usually nice, but when I think of Nintendo in 2015 , I do not think of 2D.

I think they are afraid of 3D. It has brought them nothing but trouble since the N64 days. Cartridges were too small and sales were less than half of the PSone's sales. The amazing 3D on the GC did not help it at all and 3D on the Wii took a backseat sales wise to 2D games. Sure Wii Sports and Mario Kart sold well. But was that the amazing 3D ( barf!) or the gimmicks that went along with them? MK offered a sterring wheel, Wii Sports offered amazing motion control for the first time.

Now we have the Wii U and 3D is seems to be something they are frightened of. They are willing to be different, but that does not include 3D or any other Next Gen like stretches. Why couldn't Mario Kart have been more than a cut and paste Mario Kart Wii? They added gorgeous visuals that you can do nothing more with than steal a glance at when you are speeding by at 60 fps. I long to visit those luscious environments Nintendo teased us with in that game. 

Smash is yet another tease. On the PS4 we would be visiting the locals in the game, but since it is smash we are more or less stuck on a fixed fighting arena with a few gimmicks to get the gamer to say"Wow", for a few minutes.

Donkey Kong was pretty wasn't it? But in 2D. Why is it Rare could give us such amazing 3D back in the day and even Nintendo, but now it seems impossible? There is nothing wrong with 2D. You can still have a great 10/10 game by just going that route, but the Wii U was supposed to be Nintendo finally giving us the next gen we missed out on with the Wii.

Now what? Are we supposed to settle with Zelda, Splatoon, and Star Fox for our NeXt Gen Nintendo fix and hope their next system really does give us the next gen experience we deserve?

Open worlds, adventure, beautiful environments we can actually go to, not be shoveled 2Dware with nearly every game, framerate and glitch issuses a thing of the past, etc 

The Crew, AC: Unity, GTAV, The Last of Us, and many many other games are what next gen is all about! Remakes, 2D, and partially realized panic moves on Nintendo's part are/is not. We could all just wait until their next system has plenty of games to prove to us it is actuallly next gen, but then sales will suffer once again. Plus if you wait too long online will be pointless and you miss out. So once again to get the full Nintendo experience you and I will be forced to buy one early on. Gamble yet again on a company that has not come through for its gamers since the N64 and some say not since the SNES days.

Well here's to hoping Iwata comes through for us next time. For now Zelda will have to be our only true Next gen Game on the system. Enjoy!

It's irony at his best. You are making all this rant for Nintendo not doing "next gen game" and, what exemples are you giving of next gen games that you want Nintendo to make?

Let's see:

The Crew: Pure Garbage. This game has been poorly rated everywhere. I wouldn't play it if I was paid.

Assassin's Creed Unity: An horrible mess technically, almost unplayable on PC (perform average even on a 1500$ PC) and just unplayble on console, with sub 20 framerate.  This game is also so bugged that there is absolutely no immersion. The game has also very poor gameplay with inaccurate controls, inadequat combat system with no depth, and very repetitive and boring missions.

GTAV:  A 360 and PS3 game... 

The Last of Us:  A cinematic PS3 game with above average gameplay 

So basically you are bashing Nintendo not doing next gen games, and praising last gen games and shitty  failed games like the Crew and Unity. Tou can't be serious.

Wii U need bugs, framedrops, big boring 3d worlds, hours of cinematics, 10 year old kids yelling you online, internet payment, 30 fps standart and no innovation at all to be true next gen stuff.

User was moderated for this post

-Dallinor

spemanig said:

I don't consider SM3DW AAA at all. It's AA. It doesn't compare to Galaxy. I don't countn't GTAV or TLOUR, and I didn't count RE4 for the Wii, so definitely I don't count WWHD as a killer app. I think it's the greatest game of all time, but I'll never consider a remake or remaster a killer app, unless it's something drastic like remaking a 2D game into a 3D game.

It's too late for the Wii U. Zelda U could be the best game of all time, but it will still be three years too late. Star Fox U could have been AAA big, but it will most likely be like Star Fox 64, which doesn't cut it. It'll be comparable to Bayonatta if it's even good. Excellent filler.

Well I don't know exactly what people usually qualify as AAA from Nintendo but as far as it's positioning, development, marketing and to some extent the reception / sales it got, SM3DW is certainly a big Nintendo game (AA vs. AAA feels a bit like the 2D vs. 3D debate so maybe I can jokingly call it a 2.5*A game). Either way I agree it doesn't compare to Galaxy, and I don't count WWHD as a killer app either, I just remembered that there was in fact a really good 3D Zelda game on the system, but the fact that we only have a WW remake at this point compared to Twilight Princess (cross-gen technically but still ultimately a big new experience on the Wii) says it all.

And yeah, I don't mean I expect Zelda U to "save the Wii U", just to provide another one of those great major games to satisfy the people who have already got the console and help it to actually chug along to the minimal lifetime sales that can now be expected.