By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Nintendo HW to increase or decrease on current gen sales?

increase or decrease for next generation ninty HW?

increase 203 66.78%

decrease 64 21.05%

results 37 12.17%

Total:304

Simple question. Do you think the Wii U 2 and the 3DS 2 will sell more or less than the current consoles. 

My take. Next DS sales will cause a further decline. Can't call the Wii U successor because Wii U has sold so little. But if the next is a hybrid console then I will go with a big over a lo decline. 

I wish we could skip to 2017 because I really want to see how these sales pan out. Will they play it safe for profit or will they go with something unique and high risk.

Around the Network

I think the next Nintendo handheld will be within a few million of the 3DS total sales. While the handheld market is shrinking, it still being about 60-70 million strong when smartphones can play games shows that there is a core consumer base who can't have handhelds replaced by smartphones/tablets. The successor to the Wii U definitely will do better. I don't think Nintendo will make the same mistakes. I expect at the very least GC sales for Wii U's successor.

Well, it depends on how Nintendo wants to do it... Like, if they once again, launch with a gimmick like how 3d was + over price it during launch + have it under-powered due to the gimmick, then I can see it be a decline but if they do it well, I can see an increase in sales cause most likely, Sony isn't going to make a successor to their handheld after the vita's low sales imo. So the Japanese third party might come to Nintendo's next handheld platform if Nintendo plays their cards right

And same goes for Nintendo's next home console. If they play their cards right, it will be an increase but if they focus on a gimmick that doesn't justify purchasing the console in the eyes of most consumers, then it will either decline or stay about the same as the wiiU

And if its a fusion hybrid nonsense, then I say it will sell significantly less than both 3ds + wiiU combined

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Can the people voting say why please

It all comes down to specifics of the devices along with execution. They can't release a $250 handheld with lack of software or release a $350 console with the same problem along with both having confusing names and poor advertising.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Completely impossible to say at this point, though if I had to take a guess, I'd say they'll sell less just because that's been the general trend.

I said the next consoles would die better in terms of hardware sales due to Nintendo gaining a little bit of respect this gen. Even the avid Nintendo hater has to admit Nintendo is going the right direction in supporting more mature rated titles, while still creating amazing quality first party titles. The only real flaws in gamers eyes is the lack of third party and the consoles actual power. Both could be eliminated if they make their next console with similar architecture as the ps4/bone. Then they just need a very good demonstration of its power in typical legend of Zelda tech demo fashion.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well, it depends on how Nintendo wants to do it... Like, if they once again, launch with a gimmick like how 3d was + over price it during launch + have it under-powered due to the gimmick, then I can see it be a decline but if they do it well, I can see an increase in sales cause most likely, Sony isn't going to make a successor to their handheld after the vita's low sales imo. So the Japanese third party might come to Nintendo's next handheld platform if Nintendo plays their cards right

And same goes for Nintendo's next home console. If they play their cards right, it will be an increase but if they focus on a gimmick that doesn't justify purchasing the console in the eyes of most consumers, then it will either decline or stay about the same as the wiiU

And if its a fusion nonsense, then I say it will sell less than both 3ds + wiiU combined

In agree with you that Sony are done after the vita but why don't you think ninty will be done with a home console? If the next Wii fails badly I see them going mobile only.  I'm very pessimistic for the next Wii as it comes out when the ps4 and x1 will be hitting their stride. Ps4 will have a big lead which I think means x1 will be below 250$ come next Wii release and ps4 will be 300$ max. I just can't seesaw they can make a home console relevant.  

bigtakilla said:
I said the next consoles would die better in terms of hardware sales due to Nintendo gaining a little bit of respect this gen. Even the avid Nintendo hater has to admit Nintendo is going the right direction in supporting more mature rated titles, while still creating amazing quality first party titles. The only real flaws in gamers eyes is the lack of third party and the consoles actual power. Both could be eliminated if they make their next console with similar architecture as the ps4/bone. Then they just need a very good demonstration of its power in typical legend of Zelda tech demo fashion.

Are they? I can't think of any Nintendo-published M-rated Wii U game other than Bayonetta, and that Fatal Frame which might not even come to the US.

Do not doom handhelds(or at least just nintendo's) dear,many people do it against pc,because of tablets and now they are eating crow!:P