By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

VGC's overtracking doesnt make these sales any less impressing. 18.5 million is a pretty huge number and next year will be even bigger.

Around the Network

Kinda disappointing in a way even though it means 20m shipped is in the bag.

Would like to know where Vita is, though I think they won't say before the financials :/

Justagamer said:
18.5 million shipped is great. And yes, it's shipped.

No it really isn't. It's sold through. Pretty sure that's been confirmed in this thread and that noone is arguing about that.

Unless you have a theory and basis as to why it's shipped, in which case I'm all ears.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Nice achievement. More than 18M in a little more than a year is great for PS4.

How do people know it's not shipped though? So they announced it was sold through as of jan4th but doesn't it take time to know that? Like every retailers from the world submitted their numbers? I say this because they have to compile everything and maybe they stopped counting like a week ago or more or are estimating. This is kind of weird imo.

I though every console makers shared only shipped numbers.

Jazz2K said:

How do people know it's not shipped though? So they announced it was sold through as of jan4th but doesn't it take time to know that? Like every retailers from the world submitted their numbers? I say this because they have to compile everything and maybe they stopped counting like a week ago or more or are estimating. This is kind of weird imo.

because sony said sold through. 

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
Kinda disappointing in a way even though it means 20m shipped is in the bag.

Would like to know where Vita is, though I think they won't say before the financials :/

Sony didn't want to ruin the hype on the internet that is currently happening.

kowenicki said:
walsufnir said:
kowenicki said:
So, House was banging on about how supply would be tight this holiday.

Does this mean that they didnt sell as well as they expected this holiday and thus supply was actually fine or it is tight supply and shipments are similar to sold through?

Either way, I cant see how the shipments can be more than 20m for the next report and nowhere near the 24.5m the Wii had by March.

IIRC the Wii was also supply constrained the whole first year so it could have moved even more in its first year.

True, it was supply constrained for a long time and certainly for the first 2 or 3 holiday periods.

His focus seemed to be on Europe, so that could mean the US supply exceeded or met demand without issue.

bananaking21 said:
Jazz2K said:

because sony said sold through. 

So they know one day before how many they sold through in the world? Didn't know they could track this fast. NPD is kind of pointless then.

Jazz2K said:

Why would Sony estimate shipments?

And considering they shipped 13.5M by September's end and shipped/sold 4.1M holidays (November 23rd to January 3rd/4th) how would they have shipped/sold only 0.9M on October plus 3 weeks of November?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Jazz2K said:

Why would Sony estimate shipments?

And considering they shipped 13.5M by September's end and shipped/sold 4.1M holidays (November 23rd to January 3rd/4th) how would they have shipped/sold only 0.9M on October plus 3 weeks of November?

Well I mean I do you guys know it's sold to customers and not to retailers?