By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: The 500 Greatest Games

Incredible job.

Around the Network

I am surprised by the lack of SNK games, IIRC I voted for King of Fighters 98, Samurai Shodown I and II.

I think there was some preference towards newer games. It seems weird to me that Rayman Legends is ranked better than Origins, and Origins ranked better than II the Great Escape. There are many cases of newer games ranked over better regarded older games of the same franchise.
For Examble Civ V being the best ranked Civilization.

This list is great. So many games rightfully made it. Plus I'm happy to see Lollipop Chainsaw and the TimeSplitters games getting some love! And Master Blaster? What? I played that pretty much non-stop on the NES way back when. It's nice to see games I played so many years ago still getting recognition.

Obviously I love the Streets of Rage praise. I thought 2 would have ended up higher than the original though.

sidmeiernintifan said:
I am surprised by the lack of SNK games, IIRC I voted for King of Fighters 98, Samurai Shodown I and II.

I think there was some preference towards newer games. It seems weird to me that Rayman Legends is ranked better than Origins, and Origins ranked better than II the Great Escape. There are many cases of newer games ranked over better regarded older games of the same franchise.
For Examble Civ V being the best ranked Civilization.

It is common for more recent to be favored. Doing this list every five years would really show what games stand test of time.

Holy crap. Good work Smeags.

Our demographics continue to more dominated as the years go on. Truly an anomaly of VGC.

Also, were P4 Golden's votes added to PS2 version? I surely hope not.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Amazing work Smeags!

It was a lot of fun once again this year, and with another year's experience under the belt I've already thought of some changes for next year .

About the results:

It should come with little surprise that I'm overjoyed that my #1, Ocarina of Time, is once again the final list's #1!
I noticed a lot more people voting for things like Uncharted 2 than last year, rightfully so I might add, and it shows in the final ranking. Great result for the game!
Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger and Skyward Sword sure made a tumble.

But the most awesome thing, is that finally after all these years, MediEvil is mentioned in one of the lists. #20 in the PS1 list! Now to get Kula World in there too (though I was likely the only person to have voted for that game) !

Who was the other Plok bro? It seems like I was not the only one who voted for Plok even if it didnt make the top 500.

axumblade said:
Augen said:

It is common for more recent to be favored. Doing this list every five years would really show what games stand test of time.

You already beat me to it it but I'd like to add that generally during the 2nd year, a lot of games tend to drop. That's also part of why Smeags sets the date the game has to be released by to the end of October because most games released by then, you'll have had time to play, beat and reflect on before actually making your top 50 lists. 

The most notable example would be Final Fantasy XIII which was very high up the first year but tumbled down as the year went on.

Signature goes here!

Conegamer said:
Damn I've only played 49 of those...

At least I know I can beat this number.

Will be checking to see how many I've played when I get home.

TruckOSaurus said:
axumblade said:
Augen said:

You already beat me to it it but I'd like to add that generally during the 2nd year, a lot of games tend to drop. That's also part of why Smeags sets the date the game has to be released by to the end of October because most games released by then, you'll have had time to play, beat and reflect on before actually making your top 50 lists. 

The most notable example would be Final Fantasy XIII which was very high up the first year but tumbled down as the year went on.

Indeed. Too many, like Carl, faced pressure from the internet and are currently lying to themselves about how much they like it. Truly a sad moment for gamers.