By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Toho's Godzilla (2016) Would you prefer CGI or Suitimation?

How would you like to see Godzilla in the upcoming film?

CGI 7 28.00%

Suitimation 4 16.00%

Mixture (Suit with CGI overlays) 13 52.00%

See results 1 4.00%

Total:25

If you haven't heard yet, news broke on Dec. 7 that Toho, creators of Godzilla, would be releasing a new Godzilla film in 2016. This falls directly between releases of the American films with Godzilla 2 slated for 2018.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-toho-produce-new-godzilla-754751

"Although Toho concedes it can't match $200 million Hollywood-size budget, advances in CG will allow it to create a film that can stand alongside such productions, according to a release from the studio." (CGI will be used but in what ways?)

"The licensing contract we have with Legendary places no restrictions on us making domestic versions." (They can release new films theatrically in Japan, worldwide will have to be Blu-ray/DVD/Digital.)

How would you like to see Godzilla, and possibly more monsters, showcased; through CGI, suitimation, or a possible mixture of the two (suit with CGI overlays)?

I feel a suit with CGI used to enhance details, lighting, and movement on the monster to be ideal. It will help Toho compete aesthetically with Hollywood, while keeping costs down as it doesn't have to be fully rendered in CG.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network

Anime!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Oh my God, really. I am so crazy about Gojiiraaa. Mixture could be good, it worked amazing for the first Alien.

I want to see Dem strings when Mothra shows up.

But honestly, whatever they did for Final Wars was very well done. They shouldn't care about "competing" with the Western counterpart, since they're the ones that created the legacy and not a crappy Godzilla vs NY movie.

Ghidorah beating Godzilla up in full CGI would be epic to watch.

Mixture FTW!

Around the Network

suitimation

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Either works for me.
I'm really looking forward to it; big Godzilla fan, I own all 29 movies.

It's not even a question really. Anyone who is a longtime Godzilla fan, who has actually watched (and liked) the actual Japanese Godzilla films, is going to prefer "Suitmation". Why? Because it's a tradition. It's an art form. It would be like making a new Muppet movie, except the Muppets are now all CGI. Or making a new "Nightmare Before Christmas" film, but having it be CGI this time. It would be pointless, and hollow.

The new American "Godzilla" was "meh" at best. Don't get me wrong, it was better than the 1998 movie. But that isn't really saying anything.

Toho needs to do the suit, and the awesome city miniatures, etc. They have already proven in the 2000s series that they could very capably supplement the suitwork with CGI effects. And considering it's now 2015, they should be able to do an even better job.

But regardless, it needs to be "suitmation". It isn't really Godzilla without it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that there is really no point in Toho wasting the time and money and effort to make a new Godzilla film, if they were going to go full CGI. For one, because it could never be on the same level, effects/budget-wise as a bloated Hollywood production. And for another, because, as I already said, full CGI Godzilla, or any kind of Kaiju action really, just doesn't work that well.

So yeah, it needs to be a mix, but Godzilla and any other monsters themselves, need to be suit actors.

DevilRising said:

It's not even a question really. Anyone who is a longtime Godzilla fan, who has actually watched (and liked) the actual Japanese Godzilla films, is going to prefer "Suitmation". Why? Because it's a tradition. It's an art form. It would be like making a new Muppet movie, except the Muppets are now all CGI. Or making a new "Nightmare Before Christmas" film, but having it be CGI this time. It would be pointless, and hollow.

The new American "Godzilla" was "meh" at best. Don't get me wrong, it was better than the 1998 movie. But that isn't really saying anything.

Toho needs to do the suit, and the awesome city miniatures, etc. They have already proven in the 2000s series that they could very capably supplement the suitwork with CGI effects. And considering it's now 2015, they should be able to do an even better job.

But regardless, it needs to be "suitmation". It isn't really Godzilla without it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that there is really no point in Toho wasting the time and money and effort to make a new Godzilla film, if they were going to go full CGI. For one, because it could never be on the same level, effects/budget-wise as a bloated Hollywood production. And for another, because, as I already said, full CGI Godzilla, or any kind of Kaiju action really, just doesn't work that well.

So yeah, it needs to be a mix, but Godzilla and any other monsters themselves, need to be suit actors.

I'm a longtime Godzilla fan, and I thought last year's Hollywood version was excellent, plus I'd have no problem with Toho using CGI as long as it's done well.