By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your 2014 LTD sales predictions from last year, time to eat some crow

Nice lol. Glad i was low on some and high on some!

Around the Network

Okay so the most folks Wii U and PS4 predictions have them messed up. Looks like everyone had more faith In the Wii U (which is a bit depressing because honestly, no one I know has anything against it).

Curiously, the PS4 has out performed a lot of people's predictions. Almost everyone's in fact. Is this a case where the PS4 really surprised everyone or is there a real disconnect with what's happening in reality?

I think the first full year of sales are really hard to predict. So I imagine that next year we will see predictions that are much closer than these.

Wow, my closet prediction seems to ve the vita which is ironic for me. Le sighh, too bad for the wiiu but I was wayyyy off

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CosmicSex said:
Okay so the most folks Wii U and PS4 predictions have them messed up. Looks like everyone had more faith In the Wii U (which is a bit depressing because honestly, no one I know has anything against it).

Curiously, the PS4 has out performed a lot of people's predictions. Almost everyone's in fact. Is this a case where the PS4 really surprised everyone or is there a real disconnect with what's happening in reality?

I think the first full year of sales are really hard to predict. So I imagine that next year we will see predictions that are much closer than these.

Wii U had Mario Kart and SSB this year. So most predicted it to sell a lot better than last year (and rightfully so). 

@Bolded. Pretty much. Now we could be able to tell how the PS4 will sell in the next few years.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Galahaddy said:
Has there been a thread where people made these predictions but for 2015?

Yes I made one a few days ago

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
CosmicSex said:

Wii U had Mario Kart and SSB this year. So most predicted it to sell a lot better than last year (and rightfully so). 

@Bolded. Pretty much. Now we could be able to tell how the PS4 will sell in the next few years.

Exactly.  And while the attach rates for both title were sky high, everyone including myself saw those titles as system movers. Even ioi ' s modest November projection was way too optimistic as I fear his December projection will be as well.  The strange part about this is that Nintendo seems to have the best placed advertising out of everyone so ... :(

Anyway,  about the first year comment: I agree with you as well. We now have a year of reference baselines 

PS4 under-predicted and X1 over as expected.

And 3DS decline was much bigger than the majority predicted

zorg1000 said:
Galahaddy said:
Has there been a thread where people made these predictions but for 2015?

Yes I made one a few days ago

Can you link it please? I'd like to add my own

CGI-Quality said:
DerNebel said:
CGI-Quality said:
Some people ACTUALLY predicted 9 million for PS4. Deary me!

Well to be somewhat fair, at the start of 2014 a lot of people still held that whole "console gaming is dying" belief and thought that PS4 sales would collapse as soon as the launch craze stops.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing fair I can offer that. The system had already sold 4.2 million by that point. To expect just under 5 million more was completely unrealistic, even for the most crazed critic. Among other things, that's less than the PS3 sold in its first year.

Of course it was unrealistic, but that's the only explanation I can come up with for someone making such a low prediction.

Assuming Wii U ends up around 8.8 mil, PS4 around 19 mil, and Xbone around 11 mil. That would be a percentage difference from the average of: -17.4 %, 20%, and - 6% respectively. That's not bad, actually.