By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIXED - Wii U sales 2014 vs 2015 - Week by week.

Close race

Around the Network

Hate to be a party proper, but I wouldn't proclaim any year as the winner before NPD and Nintendo shipment number adjustments.

Teeqoz said:
Hate to be a party proper, but I wouldn't proclaim any year as the winner before NPD and Nintendo shipment number adjustments.

Shhhh, don't be a party pooper now. :)

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Teeqoz said:

Shhhh, don't be a party pooper now. :)

Wow, goddamn autocorrect. "Party proper" lmao

Darwinianevolution said:
Platina said:
Beaten by only 200 consoles! :p

But it's actually pretty good, since 2014 had two really big flagships so it's nice to see 2015 hold up well

2014 had Smash Bros and Mario Kart, and still lost against Splatoon and Mario Maker. Those two little games manage to compete in hardware sold with two of the biggest game series Nintendo has. Pretty good seems like an understatement. XD

It's not just the games of 2015 that helped, every big first party tittle previously released helped 2015 keep sales stable. And that's with zelda and star fox getting delayed and no pricecut. Since a price cut  is inevitable next year and we know there are also big games releasing, I think 2016 will be Wii U's peak year.

Around the Network

Obviously, 2015 had some residual support from Mario Kart 8 and Smash (including significant DLC for both of these titles), but the Wii U beating its 2014 sales is nonetheless a huge achievement for Nintendo.

Splatoon was a complete dark horse and in many ways so was Super Mario Maker. I mean neither of these titles were concepts that Nintendo has ever tried before. 2014 was a safe year where Nintendo played it safe and rolled out it's big guns whereas 2015 was a year that Nintendo took some significant risks and they really paid off.

One thing that I hope Nintendo learns from the Wii U is that they should take creative risks on their software more often. There is so much creative brilliance at this company and I find that their conservative tendencies can really hinder it, at times.

Who would have thought this outcome would happen after Zelda got delayed and no price cut for the year? 218 units... now that's what I call a close shave. I hope no adjustments will spoil that result.

Any predictions about how next year will turn out? I believe 2016 will be up again (and NX not releasing until at least 2017), and due to increased baseline, much less floaty Japan sales and some nice games incoming during spring (we don't have any infos about what's coming after that as Nintendo got tired of "Please understand" delays, so they only announce them when they are almost done anymore) it will do better than the previous years until June at the very least.

POE said:
Updated with the last numbers. 2015 WON!! By 218 units LOL.
It was a nice trip.
Should i make a new one comparing 2015 to 2016 numbers?

If you want to, then by all means yes, you did a great job there. Will you include only 2015 against 2016 or also 2014?

For it to have even been this close is surprising I'll admit, but that could just go to show Wii U sales really can't get any lower than this lel. No way in hell will 2016 beat either 2015 or 14 though, NX announcement alone should make sure of that.

Teeqoz said:

I guess these comparison threads should include in the heading- "ACCORDING TO VGCHARTZ". 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

That was close lol. I honestly didn't think that this year could be very similar to the previous one, I wasn't sure that Splatoon and SMM could mantain the WiiU sales.