By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Just went Super Saiyan with Unlocked CPU Power

Norris2k said:
There is no way the XBone with 3 OS and virtualization requires less cpu than the lightweigh PS4's OS (BSD, that's light). So, this optimization will come to a high cost, or will happen on the PS4 as well.
Also it leaves the XBone with 2 bottlenecks compared to the PS4 : the GPU, and the memory bandwidth. And that not something one more cpu can change.

Oh that virtualizations costs are that high? really? 

Do you really think that all cores are switching at regular intervalles between host and virtualized client?

Nope - of course they don't do. Even on your desktop computer any virtualization won't do that as long you didn't manage to misconfigure it.

BTW: the PS4 has a CPU bottleneck. And thats something no GPU can change.

Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:
walsufnir said:

PS4 is more powerful but the difference we saw at launch games is currently not as big because the XDK evolved fast and MS even introduced a new driver.

Adding a core will, of course, be beneficial. In which way we don't know and will also depend on the game itself. If CPU cores weren't crucial, why not remove one? 5 should be ok, I guess? Because it's only the GPU that is important, right? Wait, let's make it only 4 cores. Should be enough as the CPUs have way less GFlops than the GPU. Right?

Thing is, of course CPUs are crucial and important but we don't know how much exactly and it relies on how devs design their game.

I would give you an explanation if a 2015 game uses the additional core on a multiplatform game and I get my hands on profiling data. But I doubt many would understand it.

I think the difference is bigger than ever... Have you seen Driveclub and The Order: 1886?

How would we know, both are exclusives. And with dc the devs had a huge amount of time to make a high performance game with a huge focus on graphics.

Dear god every thread i go in has people calling it Xbone, grow up.

i love xbox 360 said:

Didn't know that was offensive. You do realize that if you do a search with "xbone" on amazon.com and walmart.com, a list of xbox one consoles shows up? I'm for reals. i'm not messing with ya.

Aeolus451 said:
i love xbox 360 said:

Didn't know that was offensive. You do realize that if you do a search with "xbone" on amazon.com and walmart.com, a list of xbox one consoles shows up? I'm for reals. i'm not messing with ya.

Its hardly offensive just immature.

Around the Network

Every time a little news comes out about XB1 improvements it is considered "closing the gap." The gap will never be closed. Hardware is hardware. And nobody ever takes into account that Sony will make improvements to their system too. They will give back cores and memory. Same as they did with PS3. That on top of PS4 is already more powerful so actually the gap will get bigger over time. It's simple logic man

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

i love xbox 360 said:
Aeolus451 said:
i love xbox 360 said:

Its hardly offensive just immature.

Why is it immature? It's just short hand for xbox one. That's what the majority of websites and search engines treat the term. Personally, I just type it out.

Pionner said:
Every time a little news comes out about XB1 improvements it is considered "closing the gap." The gap will never be closed. Hardware is hardware. And nobody ever takes into account that Sony will make improvements to their system too. They will give back cores and memory. Same as they did with PS3. That on top of PS4 is already more powerful so actually the gap will get bigger over time. It's simple logic man

There IS NO gap other than having the PS4 being able to render at a higher resolution or do some more post processing effects. And this maybe only at the cost of having a stable 60fps.

BUT NOTHING which will differientiate in GAMEPLAY.

Both consoles are simply too similar in design - thats why they are called the "HD twins"...

People are getting upset about this as they need a "better one". IF so - buy a Wii U.

DonFerrari said:
Nate4Drake said:
Every Company, every generation, release better development tools, and try to utilize at best the available resources.
Today we have an article about X1, tomorrow we will have another one about PS4, and then WiiU.

What will never change is PS4 APU/Architecture >(better) than X1 APU/Architecture >>(way better) than WiiU Architecture. That's all. Not that much to say in this Thread.

Actually I never saw an article saying PS4 powered up, but we have one at least montlhy about X1.

I have a feeling that this is a byproduct of MS being waaaaaaay better at marketing and knowing how to market. Massive publicly traded companies like them know how ot feed the news cycle to drive market valuations up, regardless of the actual value of said news. Sony is just like, "We don't have to do ANYTHING and we're still winning? That's super-dee-duper cool. Back to pachinko!"

Pionner said:

How many cores did the PS3 get back? Or 360? How much memory had ms to give back to customers which was reserved? Sony had to reduce the os footprint because there was too much reserved. Ms didn't have to do it because they already were low on footprint.

I sometimes doubt people educate themselves about things and just generate posts from believe and what they read somewhere else, I don't see any other possibilities such posts to happen.