By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Just went Super Saiyan with Unlocked CPU Power

Insidb said:
DonFerrari said:
Nate4Drake said:
Every Company, every generation, release better development tools, and try to utilize at best the available resources.
Today we have an article about X1, tomorrow we will have another one about PS4, and then WiiU.

What will never change is PS4 APU/Architecture >(better) than X1 APU/Architecture >>(way better) than WiiU Architecture. That's all. Not that much to say in this Thread.

Actually I never saw an article saying PS4 powered up, but we have one at least montlhy about X1.

I have a feeling that this is a byproduct of MS being waaaaaaay better at marketing and knowing how to market. Massive publicly traded companies like them know how ot feed the news cycle to drive market valuations up, regardless of the actual value of said news. Sony is just like, "We don't have to do ANYTHING and we're still winning? That's super-dee-duper cool. Back to pachinko!"

They didn't made as much fuss over X360 at the time... I think is more paid ad to cover their underpowered console... While their heads were always touting there wasn't much difference, and downplaying the GAP in GPU at the same time we have the reports of how much improvements are made... they are just trying to make the console not look much weaker than PS4. If X1 was selling good and was stronger they wouldn't invest so much time on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
mine said:
Pionner said:
Every time a little news comes out about XB1 improvements it is considered "closing the gap." The gap will never be closed. Hardware is hardware. And nobody ever takes into account that Sony will make improvements to their system too. They will give back cores and memory. Same as they did with PS3. That on top of PS4 is already more powerful so actually the gap will get bigger over time. It's simple logic man

There IS NO gap other than having the PS4 being able to render at a higher resolution or do some more post processing effects. And this maybe only at the cost of having a stable 60fps.

BUT NOTHING which will differientiate in GAMEPLAY.

Both consoles are simply too similar in design - thats why they are called the "HD twins"...

People are getting upset about this as they need a "better one". IF so - buy a Wii U.

I'm not talking about gameplay so i really have no idea why you brought that up. I'm talking about a hardware gap. PS4 is more powerful than XB1. Why must this always be ignored yet when XB1 gets some improvements it's hyped up as being a game changer and will make performance significantly improved? If people think a 10% CPU advantage, and now with half the 7th core available, 15%?, will make some huge difference what in the heck do you think more than 50% GPU advantages is going to do? Come on man you guys have to stop acting like the performance gap is not big. Then at the same time praising whatever little improvement XB1 gets. When GPU compute gets more common the PS4 will have an even bigger advantage for CPU and GPU. By the way PS4 and XB1 are not called HD twins. That was PS3 and 360. And it wasn't because the hardware was similar.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

more hype.... for xbones :) I wonder when they will unlock the cloud ? 2019?

walsufnir said:
Pionner said:
Every time a little news comes out about XB1 improvements it is considered "closing the gap." The gap will never be closed. Hardware is hardware. And nobody ever takes into account that Sony will make improvements to their system too. They will give back cores and memory. Same as they did with PS3. That on top of PS4 is already more powerful so actually the gap will get bigger over time. It's simple logic man

How many cores did the PS3 get back? Or 360? How much memory had ms to give back to customers which was reserved? Sony had to reduce the os footprint because there was too much reserved. Ms didn't have to do it because they already were low on footprint.

I sometimes doubt people educate themselves about things and just generate posts from believe and what they read somewhere else, I don't see any other possibilities such posts to happen.

You know what i'm talking about. My point is whatever is being reserved by the hardware developers will get back. MS is already doing it. I'm sure PS4 is not going to have 2 cores and 3gigs of RAM reserved for the entire generation.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

DonFerrari said:
Insidb said:
DonFerrari said:
Nate4Drake said:
Every Company, every generation, release better development tools, and try to utilize at best the available resources.
Today we have an article about X1, tomorrow we will have another one about PS4, and then WiiU.

What will never change is PS4 APU/Architecture >(better) than X1 APU/Architecture >>(way better) than WiiU Architecture. That's all. Not that much to say in this Thread.

Actually I never saw an article saying PS4 powered up, but we have one at least montlhy about X1.

I have a feeling that this is a byproduct of MS being waaaaaaay better at marketing and knowing how to market. Massive publicly traded companies like them know how ot feed the news cycle to drive market valuations up, regardless of the actual value of said news. Sony is just like, "We don't have to do ANYTHING and we're still winning? That's super-dee-duper cool. Back to pachinko!"

They didn't made as much fuss over X360 at the time... I think is more paid ad to cover their underpowered console... While their heads were always touting there wasn't much difference, and downplaying the GAP in GPU at the same time we have the reports of how much improvements are made... they are just trying to make the console not look much weaker than PS4. If X1 was selling good and was stronger they wouldn't invest so much time on it.

I agree and think that they are one in the same. Perception is not reality; reality is reality. Perception, however, can influence real outcomes. As long as people believe that the gap is small and closing, they will have achieved their goal. 

Around the Network
i love xbox 360 said:
Aeolus451 said:
i love xbox 360 said:
Dear god every thread i go in has people calling it Xbone, grow up.

Didn't know that was offensive. You do realize that if you do a search with "xbone" on amazon.com and walmart.com, a list of xbox one consoles shows up? I'm for reals. i'm not messing with ya.

Its hardly offensive just immature.

It`s not offensive. It just what XBONEs & MS deserve. It is a weak & poor console. Here in my country we call it "carton box" because it computes as fast as a cardboard carton box. Alot of people  ( including me - last gen was on the XBOX360 side) were severely dissapointed from MS weak cartoon box console, so it's the least we can do is call it XBONE.

Fusioncode said:
This isn't even Kaioken x2.

lol, so true.

i love xbox 360 said:
Aeolus451 said:
i love xbox 360 said:
Dear god every thread i go in has people calling it Xbone, grow up.

Didn't know that was offensive. You do realize that if you do a search with "xbone" on amazon.com and walmart.com, a list of xbox one consoles shows up? I'm for reals. i'm not messing with ya.

Its hardly offensive just immature.

its just a shortened name.

The translation depends on the maturity of the reader, not the writer.

mine said:
Norris2k said:
There is no way the XBone with 3 OS and virtualization requires less cpu than the lightweigh PS4's OS (BSD, that's light). So, this optimization will come to a high cost, or will happen on the PS4 as well.
Also it leaves the XBone with 2 bottlenecks compared to the PS4 : the GPU, and the memory bandwidth. And that not something one more cpu can change.

Oh that virtualizations costs are that high? really? 

Do you really think that all cores are switching at regular intervalles between host and virtualized client?

Nope - of course they don't do. Even on your desktop computer any virtualization won't do that as long you didn't manage to misconfigure it.

BTW: the PS4 has a CPU bottleneck. And thats something no GPU can change.

My main point is that virtualization and 3 OS (including windows) cost is higher than one native plain old BSD (which is a very light OS). And that's a fact.So, Sony could also give one more CPU... but ! What I consider a "high cost" is not a CPU cost, but the loss of reactivity coming from not having 2 reserved CPU anymore for OSs and apps. I'm not exactly sure if the will do OS and apps on on single core, which seems very unreactive, or be able to borrow resources from the 7 CPU, which would lower the impact.

BTW, I'm not aware of a clear CPU bottleneck on the PS4. Only Ubisoft on AC talk about that... and ends with about no difference. The GPU and memory bottleneck on the XBone is on the contrary pretty clear : most game look better and have a better resolution on the PS4.

Insidb said:
DonFerrari said:
Insidb said:

I agree and think that they are one in the same. Perception is not reality; reality is reality. Perception, however, can influence real outcomes. As long as people believe that the gap is small and closing, they will have achieved their goal. 

And we can't even judge MS or the pratice, they are only working on perception without clearly lying, just a light spin, missdirection and all to downgrade the gap. And in fact for most gamers the gap won't matter too much.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."