By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mistwalker - where are the console games?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Blob said:
I can't see microsfot working with them again however I can see Nintendo. They need games to fill out the wii u lineup and the last story ended in a way that could spawn a sequel.
However this will only happen if Nintendo is happy to break even on the game as I can't see anything they make selling gangbusters on the wii u.

Also S.T.A.G.E why can't sony call mistwalker?

Ever wondered why Sony was the only company not to get an excluisve from Mistwalker last gen when everyone else did and sold like crap compared to what a Sony exclusive from Mistwalker would've sold?

Sony and the father of Final Fantasy, in Sakaguchi don't see eye to eye and probably never will.

Never really thought about that to be honest. Still business should be business and if mistwalker needed the money I can't see them saying no. Still id imagine sony would be the last to contact them as they don't really need too at this point.

Around the Network
Blob said:
I can't see microsfot working with them again however I can see Nintendo. They need games to fill out the wii u lineup and the last story ended in a way that could spawn a sequel.
However this will only happen if Nintendo is happy to break even on the game as I can't see anything they make selling gangbusters on the wii u.

Why Nintendo ? I don't think Nintendo is all that interested in pushing a AAA game to selling sub 1 million units again from Mistwalker ...

As per why Sony can't contact with Mistwalker, well let's just say after that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie there was a lot of bad blood between the found of Mistwalker (Sakaguchi) and his employer (Square Enix and somewhat Sony).

Square got almost ruined by that guy so they had to fire him for his incompetence plus Sony Pictures was a partner of Square Pictures at the time. He was the damned reason why Square was forced to merge with Enix creating what Square Enix was today. It's all his fault and he shouldn't be allowed a chance to produce any more works ...

Blob said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ever wondered why Sony was the only company not to get an excluisve from Mistwalker last gen when everyone else did and sold like crap compared to what a Sony exclusive from Mistwalker would've sold?

Sony and the father of Final Fantasy, in Sakaguchi don't see eye to eye and probably never will.

Never really thought about that to be honest. Still business should be business and if mistwalker needed the money I can't see them saying no. Still id imagine sony would be the last to contact them as they don't really need too at this point.

Yep, Sony is still the primary platform for Final Fantasy in Japan and has the majority of the JRPGs on console headed their way by demand. They don't have to pay anyone a red cent for exclusivity, because they have been the primary JRPG platform on consoles since the PS1 era and Nintendo has been the number one handheld for JRPG's on the market. Microsoft and Nintendo would have to pay Sakaguchi to make a game for them, which I doubt they would have a problem with, but I agree that he should be about profit. Some people have their reasons though and pride is a huge thing in this industry. People like to always say its business, but some people make drastic moves because of desperation, but trust me there are more emotions in this than simply it being business. Take Microsoft for example...they buy everything from everyone. They have to or else they've got very little against Sony.

fatslob-:O said:
Blob said:

Why Nintendo ? I don't think Nintendo is all that interested in pushing a AAA game to selling sub 1 million units again from Mistwalker ...

As per why Sony can't contact with Mistwalker, well let's just say after that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie there was a lot of bad blood between the found of Mistwalker (Sakaguchi) and his employer (Square Enix and somewhat Sony).

Square got almost ruined by that guy so they had to fire him for his incompetence plus Sony Pictures was a partner of Square Pictures at the time. He was the damned reason why Square was forced to merge with Enix creating what Square Enix was today. It's all his fault and he shouldn't be allowed a chance to produce any more works ...

Well Nintendo needs games to fill up the wii u lineup and they're going to have to pay for them. The Last story 2 would've been a far better decision than wonderful 101 yet they wasted moeny on that because they had too.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

As you can tell by Microsoft being in the console business because of Sony......they don't like to be ignored.  There will be JRPG's that they will fund and they are STILL after Japan. Microsoft is funding Platinum Games as we speak for Scalebound and trust me...they will fund a Japanese JRPG. Phil Spencer is interested and he has talked about it in the past whether you know it or not.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/08/phil-spencer-explains-why-xbox-one-is-sold-in-japan-in-active-talks-with-japanese-studios-about-games/

"You talk about JRPGs, and there just aren’t as many built as they used to be. I’ll tell you this. We’re in active discussions with Japanese studios about games. I wanna make sure that the Japanese console development community stays strong and grows back to where it was. If we can help, that’s great, by opening up a western audience."

How do you know that Microsoft aren't funding Scalebound because WANT to gain a better ground in the west rather than the east ? 

Around the Network
Blob said:

Well Nintendo needs games to fill up the wii u lineup and they're going to have to pay for them. The Last story 2 would've been a far better decision than wonderful 101 yet they wasted moeny on that because they had too.

Both of those games were bad decisions anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference in the end ... 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Blob said:

Its likely simple, Sony backed SE. Sakaguchi resigned and Sony said no to funding Mistwalker, since they were backing SE with their stock purchase. Then he talked with MS and feels Sony shoudl have helped him out, as he was big in SE.

Blob said:

Both of those games were bad decisions anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference in the end ... 

Wonderful 101 was a far worse decision, last story 2 would have likely sold far more even if it still didn't profit. If nintendo wants to ride out this gen they need games to fill out the lineup and it's obvious that they don't have the manpower to do it themselves so they're going to have to pay for some games. Might as well work with people youv'e already worked with before.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

As you can tell by Microsoft being in the console business because of Sony......they don't like to be ignored.  There will be JRPG's that they will fund and they are STILL after Japan. Microsoft is funding Platinum Games as we speak for Scalebound and trust me...they will fund a Japanese JRPG. Phil Spencer is interested and he has talked about it in the past whether you know it or not.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/08/phil-spencer-explains-why-xbox-one-is-sold-in-japan-in-active-talks-with-japanese-studios-about-games/

"You talk about JRPGs, and there just aren’t as many built as they used to be. I’ll tell you this. We’re in active discussions with Japanese studios about games. I wanna make sure that the Japanese console development community stays strong and grows back to where it was. If we can help, that’s great, by opening up a western audience."

How do you know that Microsoft aren't funding Scalebound because WANT to gain a better ground in the west rather than the east ? 

Microsoft knows as well as I do that these days Westerners eat up Japanese things more than even the Japanese do themselves in the console realm so when it comes to variety they are covered, but they will not give up on Japan. Scalebound looks like the new Dante from DMC so its definitely pandering to the same audience who likes hack n slash action like myself. Glad I have my one.

Farsala said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its likely simple, Sony backed SE. Sakaguchi resigned and Sony said no to funding Mistwalker, since they were backing SE with their stock purchase. Then he talked with MS and feels Sony shoudl have helped him out, as he was big in SE.

Ive known for years that Sakaguchi doesn't like Sony. There was a falling out but no one seems to know exactly what it was. Some say it was because of Sonys lack of funding of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within and others say its for other reasons. But we all know for sure that he left Final Fantasy in good hands with Kitase and left after having a falling out with SE and Sony was somehow involved.