By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When should the Wii U have released?

Wii U, when?

Earlier, before the Wii died down 54 32.34%

Later, after the PS4/Xbox One reveals 44 26.35%

Earlier with more power! 46 27.54%

Later with LESS power! 4 2.40%

It released at the best time possible. 19 11.38%

Total:167

Time is not the problem here, the way they plan the console is the problem .

Around the Network

The timing wasn't wrong. It's the hardware and the fanbase. Who didn't know that soccer moms and grandmas wouldn't follow Nintendo to a next gen system. I called it soon after I realised the hype for Wii was mainly due to people who heard about the console from other who weren't gamers.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

For the sort of tech used in the controller it was too early.
For the timing of a new console it was too late.
Also no flagship software really hurts the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is a great game, but the Wii U should have launched with a major Mario or Zelda title. Right now neither has released, and a major Mario title will probably never come. They launched with their support software first, and their system selling titles last or not at all.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

For the sort of tech used in the controller it was too early.
For the timing of a new console it was too late.
Also no flagship software really hurts the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is a great game, but the Wii U should have launched with a major Mario or Zelda title. Right now neither has released, and a major Mario title will probably never come. They launched with their support software first, and their system selling titles last or not at all.

I agree.  Nintendo consoles almost always launch with a killer app to justify their existence.  They tried to convince us that NintendoLand was that title but no.  

TheLastStarFighter said:
As is, never. It should have released as WiiHD, no Gamepad in 2010 as a premium, 3rd party friendly product with strong online. Xenoblade, Last Story and SMG 2 should have appeared on it.

This right here would be exactly what I would have done if I were in Iwata's shoes.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

It should have released in 2012 with about the same redering capabilities as the xb1, probably with "only" 4 or 6gb of memory (not that I think that the xb1 is a great powerhouse, but I am trying to be realistic).

that would have allowed it to leave an impression as a powerful console, until the PS4 was announced, the headstart would have been use full and thirdparty support may have been on board (initial sales were good, until the impressions on the performance came about... Same as the xb1)...

'now, they could have released a weak console like they did, but at least make it cheap, 150 - 175$ at launch (especially considering that I must buy some external storage at the same time, that makes the wii u almost as expensive as the newer consoles!... Add the normal controller.. And it cost as much as the ps4!!!)

definitely later.

Nintendo would have had more and better games at launch with a better price.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

As it is, it should have released in 2010.

I think even with more power it wouldn't get 3rd party. It would just be a cash burn on Nintendo.