By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GameSpot tried to build a Pc which costs around the same as a console.

*sigh*

When will you guys understand that the initial cost for building a PC is higher, but the software price is cheaper and online price is free? It's not a hard concept, but everyone takes things at face value. Consoles are much more expensive to own over a generation than PCs. The $50/$60 for online play alone ends up coming to $250+ over just 5 years, and then you have to factor in how expensive games are on console. On PC, you wait a few months, and almost every game can be bought at major discounts, while on console those discounts are almost nonexistent. 

And honestly, you could build a $800-900 PC that will easily make it through the generation before needing an upgrade.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Well, this thread has inspired me. (especially when I saw JUST how much cheaper new PC releases are than their PS4 counterparts)

Finally pulled the trigger several years after initially planning to get a PC rig.

Will be putting together an i5 4670 with a GTX 970 GPU. 8gb RAM to start with but will up that over the course of the year :)

So much PC gaming to get caught up on as it's been about 6 years since I last had a PC capable of running games decently. Will play all the gems I missed last gen too but at a proper frame rate.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

Well, this thread has inspired me. (especially when I saw JUST how much cheaper new PC releases are than their PS4 counterparts)

Finally pulled the trigger several years after initially planning to get a PC rig.

Will be putting together an i5 4670 with a GTX 970 GPU. 8gb RAM to start with but will up that over the course of the year :)

So much PC gaming to get caught up on as it's been about 6 years since I last had a PC capable of running games decently. Will play all the gems I missed last gen too but at a proper frame rate.

Happy gaming. While I prefer console gaming over PC gaming at the end of the day it's all about the game.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mr.Playstation said:

Happy gaming. While I prefer console gaming over PC gaming at the end of the day it's all about the game.

Well, a Dual Shock 4 and a 46" Panasonic Vierra Plasma will make it feel like console gaming :)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

zero129 said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Conina said:
Mr.Playstation said:

In my opinion this attempt shows that PCs cannot compare to consoles in terms of Price to Power ratio.

Article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

Ironically GameSpot came to a contrary conclusion:

"As it turns out, you can build a gaming PC for around the cost of an Xbox One that will outperform both next-gen consoles given the current stock of cross-platform games. You'll also enjoy a massive library that neither the PlayStation 4 nor the Xbox One will ever be able to match from a pure numbers standpoint. Plus, your PC is upgradable, and its functionality in non-gaming areas only adds to its value."

Well, since April some demanding games were released that run better on consoles than on these PC builds and the console prices have dropped (the prices of some PC components also, especially graphic cards & HDDs)... so why are you starting a thread with such an outdated article?

My opinion: if you don't take the cheaper PC game prices into account, console hardware will always have a better price-to-power ratio. BUT the difference is shrinking generation for generation! In the past a PC that was more powerful than a console in every scenario was 200% - 600% more expensive than the console, nowadays its only 50% - 100% more expensive

They used AC:black flag as a game test. If they used AC:U I hardly doubt it would be playable at 1080p.

ACU doesnt even run at 900P 30FPS on both consoles

Plus thread is a year old so now PC parts are even cheaper

Yes, but consoles are cheaper ( they based this on the Xbox one with kinect bundle ) so it kind of evens out.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Chazore said:
I don't get why these type of threads exist, especially for one using information against a platform that's a year old already.

I game on PC for the time being because it's cheaper for me, has backwards compatability and allows me to upgrade easily along with use of my K+M and gamepad, the only reason I see to grab an XB1 and Wii U is for their exclusives alone which is why I'm waiting for them to go down in price along with the Wii U's online being free like the PC which leaves me with less hassle and not having to pour dosh into the online component which I won't be doing with the XB1 much of the time.

I game on both. Currently playing Spintires on my laptop, admittedly I had to scale it down to 1600x900 with medium draw distance, no motion blur etc for it to stay north of 20fps on my $1000 laptop. (I7 4700MQ + GeForce GT 740M) At least the upscaling somewhat hides the lack of AA :/
And I play DriveClub at night on my projector, very smooth, very fast, amazing surround sound.

A gaming pc would just be that, a gaming pc. Hard to justify nowadays after all my other pc needs are met by laptop, while I can already play the exclusives I like. Star citizen and VR may change my mind though.

PC online, I wish it would be less hassle. Maybe it's just the obscure games I like, but getting in a multiplayer session of Spintires fails 9 out of 10 times, if it can even find any active lobbies at all.

MohammadBadir said:
PCs cost more than consoles but the cheap games make up for the price. That's literally it. Why's this so hard for some people to understand?

Well if you want to play new games at launch, you won't save much money on PC games.

Also, I like to rent newer games on occasion. That option doesn't really exist on PC. But it still has the edge on piracy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

On a console budget and they go for $550? A PS4 is $400 at most. Let's not even mention the time taken to build that PC.

why not both, I don,t see what is stopping people from playing on both consoles and pc

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

sterner said:

X86 is a thousand times easier to develop for than the Power PC (Risc) or Cell (also Risc?)architectures.

All right, expert developer in thread, I'm leaving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZh_dfuqQUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001