By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Interview faces serious piracy issues

It's been an interesting day for Kernel, the site powering Sony's digital rentals of The Interview in the USNot only did it briefly buckle under the pressure of people hammering its site to watch the movie, but apparently it didn't do a great job in securing copies of the film, either. Those who spent $5.99 to watch a 48-hour rental of The Interview on their browser could simply share the URL of the film with anyone else. Worse yet, anyone who had access to the link was able to save an unprotected copy locally through a super obvious loophole, something The Verge was able to confirm from different browsers and locations.

"You guys need some serious DRM help."

https://twitter.com/expensivelooks/status/547846093036617729/photo/1

Kernel did not respond to a request for comment, but tweeted that it was "working on a fix as we speak," after the issue was pointed out.

Kernel was one of only a handful of places to get The Interview digitally, a day before its theatrical release in the US. The film became available today on YouTube Movies, Google Play, Xbox Video, as well as Sony's SeeTheInterview.com, which Kernel powers. The film's public debut was briefly canceled after Sony Pictures buckled to a hacker group that threatened violence for theatergoers and Sony employees, as well as leaking more documents. Sony did an about-face this week, rescheduling the release and adding today's video on demand release as an unexpected bonus.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/24/7448253/sonys-the-interview-site-accidentally-let-anyone-download

What do you think? Here's my opinion:

Around the Network

Oh yeah, this is what sony is worried about, piracy.

Doesn't matter, they will problably make more money from people that are buying now than if was not surrounded for so much controversy.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

That's a pretty big middle finger to all the pirates who went to the trouble to download it via other means when they would've just needed a link directly from the source.

Go Sony! Showing pirates how it's done since 1946.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Looks like I just saved $6
aaaaah yeeeeeaah

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Moved to Movies Discussion.

Around the Network

YAARRG! WE SHIP FOR SMOOTHER SEAS!

I wonder how kim jong yun feels about this

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

How the hell does a multi million company lets something THIS stupid pass by? 0.o

This has to be on purpose.....I won't believe this is true otherwise....

Nintendo and PC gamer

Obviously... Did anyone really think everyone was gonna buy this shit? Like I said before, if its available digitally since day 1 at high quality, it is gonna get pirated up the ass

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It would have been pirated anyway. Let's be real. I don't think it was smart of Sony to release it. Yeah it's "the right thing to do," but they already got butt fucked by these hackers once. Releasing it in such an overtly defiant way may have it's consequences.