By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give me ONE reason Nintendo shouldn't go 3rd party.

Slade6alpha said:
Agreed with OP. People will say, "Their quality of game development would go down, look what happened to SEGA." how would anyone know that unless the situation occured!

Being able to play nintendo games without the hardware would be great.

Being able to play Nintendo games with the hardware is great.

If people want Ninty games, then suck it up and actually buy the hardware.  /facepalm

Around the Network

You only need to look at the devastating impact going 3rd party has had on Sega over the past decade. That should be the only reason you need to know that, without their own hardware, Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

WolfpackN64 said:
Give me one good reason Sony and Microsoft shouldn't go third party?

Sony consoles sell well and 3rd party companies sell well and support them.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Sony consoles sell well and 3rd party companies sell well and support them.

But if both went third party wouldn't people just buy a Nintendo console? All the third party companies would sell well there and Nintendo's console would sell well.

Your arguement is flawed.

The entire speculation around this idea of Nintendo being a 3rd party is completely implausible.

1) Nintendo games are largely designed around the new features of their hardware.
2) Nintendo hardware is designed around the ideas they have for new software.

That is Nintendo. They cannot have one without the other. They are not an incremental tech upgrade company. They focus on new experiences and gameplay ideas. That is their new generation of consoles. That is why every console has a new controller for the last 30 years. That is why their software and icons are imprinted on every gamer's soul.

Additionally, they are a business and so long as that business sees long-term profits they will remain open for business. Nintendo has stated this numerous times, if they stop making hardware, then they also stop making software. They cannot do one without the other. Its not their culture or business model.

Removing their hardware would be a short-term gain and then long-term loss of all identity and profitability.

So, one reason why Nintendo should not go 3rd party? Because Nintendo wants to remain a viable business.

Around the Network

you know i thought about it and realized even if someone gave you a good reason, you wouldn't see it as such. I've seen this conversation happen plenty of times already. I'm not even trying to be antagonistic, but i feel like your searching for something you probably aren't going to let psychologically exist.
By the way to all, a quick often overlooked fact. Sega was sitting on 3 failed systems/experiments before calling it quits. They were in far more dire straights. Don't expect nintendo to look into 3rd party situations for a looooong time. sega released the Sega 32x in 94, the Saturn in 95, and lastly the dreamcast in 99. Although it was sony that probably finished them off, sega put itself in a pretty bad state long before it died and went 3rd party.

WolfpackN64 said:

Because both Sony and MS make a huge chunk of their gaming money through third party royalties.

DanneSandin said:
baloofarsan said:
Here is an analysis about why Nintendo needs both hardware AND software:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=740455

TLDR - Nintendo have profit (not only revenue like the others) from one business only: they need the money from ALL of their sales - hardware+ software + peripherals + online - to make a living.

It's sad to see that fusioncode either didn't see this wonderful reply, or he chose to ignore it

Keep the link for the next time a thread like this occur again. In a week or so...

I remember sometime ago that Nintendo stated their hardware and software go hand in hand so that would mean the other would not exist without the other.

It's not about how hard you get hit it's about the  you make. That's how winning is done!