By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best 2D platformer on Wii U?

Tagged games:

?

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 198 55.77%

New Super Mario Bros U 46 12.96%

Rayman Legends 67 18.87%

Shovel Knight 28 7.89%

Other (Please specify) 16 4.51%

Total:355

It's a tie between DK:TF and Shovel Knight.

Rayman legends, NSMBU and Stealth Inc 2 are all really great as well.

Around the Network

Tropical Freeze's gameplay is very archaic for me, just how the original Donkey Kong Country games were. Don't get me wrong, the game it's pretty good, but I hate how unfair it is, you can't succeed throughout the levels in the first time you play because sometimes you can't predict what is coming to you. You must fail, or otherwise the game would be much shorter.

New Super Mario Bros. U is very good too, but it's just too slow for my taste. You have to wait many times in order to advance.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Mystro-Sama said:

And as a result you're missing out on quality games

Shovel Knight is on the 3DS, theres a NSMB on the 3DS, I don't like 2D Rayman games, and Tropical Freeze... well I'll just wait until that one comes to 3DS by playing Returns 3D. Not missing out on much.

spemanig said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Shovel Knight is on the 3DS, theres a NSMB on the 3DS, I don't like 2D Rayman games, and Tropical Freeze... well I'll just wait until that one comes to 3DS by playing Returns 3D. Not missing out on much.

Good luck with that; it was hard enough for them to get the Wii DKC running on 3DS.

Metallox said:
Tropical Freeze's gameplay is very archaic for me, just how the original Donkey Kong Country games were. Don't get me wrong, the game it's pretty good, but I hate how unfair it is, you can't succeed throughout the levels in the first time you play because sometimes you can't predict what is coming to you. You must fail, or otherwise the game would be much shorter.

You can see what's coming at you, you just need really good reflexes for the fast moving stuff and traps.

Around the Network

NSMBU is my most played one and If I could only have one of them, that would be my pick. DK and Rayman are also pretty excellent, though I found it exhausting searching for jigsaw pieces ang KONG-letters in Tropical Freeze.

DKC: Tropical Freeze. I'd even take it over Super Mario 3D World, which is saying something.

Not that the other platformers on Wii U aren't great, but Tropical Freeze was special. The soundtrack was just exceptional, it had a fantastic difficulty curve (challenging but never to the point where I'd get totally stuck) and I love the way the visual design tied all the levels together - like the way a lightning storm in one level leads to a brush fire in the next, or the way one world starts with a whole lot of fruit being harvested, then sliced up, and finally made into jelly and jam. It's incredibly varied in terms of the challenges it throws at you while still being one of the most cohesive-feeling platformers I've ever played.

spemanig said:
Mystro-Sama said:

But if you have a Wii U and the game is cheap then why not just get it? Lol

DKTFC is too good.

atomicblue said:
DKC: Tropical Freeze. I'd even take it over Super Mario 3D World, which is saying something.

Not that the other platformers on Wii U aren't great, but Tropical Freeze was special. The soundtrack was just exceptional, it had a fantastic difficulty curve (challenging but never to the point where I'd get totally stuck) and I love the way the visual design tied all the levels together - like the way a lightning storm in one level leads to a brush fire in the next, or the way one world starts with a whole lot of fruit being harvested, then sliced up, and finally made into jelly and jam. It's incredibly varied in terms of the challenges it throws at you while still being one of the most cohesive-feeling platformers I've ever played.

I forgot that. Tropical Freeze's music is damn good, perhaps one of the most catchy soundtracks among Nintendo published titles. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.